The 9x6 upgrade has begun......

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
kjt0802

The 9x6 upgrade has begun......

Postby kjt0802 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi all, well after some deliberation and planning I have now started on my upgrade from 8x4 to 9x6. I bought my existing 8x4 layout last year and have since digitised it and made some minor changes.
I have now redesigned it and started making big changes to it.
Firstly I had to move the layout from my tiny garage to my lounge. Sounds easy, but when you consider our lounge is on the first floor and the only way to get 8x4 in is through the window!! Well with 2 of my boys help we did it and it now sits in the lounge. Plus I have removed all the track and scenery from around the village that I'm keeping
Over the weekend I built 3 extentions to fit around the existing 8x4 to make it 9x6. Thats 2No 8x1's and 1No 6x1.
And when done I built and tested the incline for the branch line.... Giving me 1:27.5 so better than the 1:25 I was looking at.
The next stage is to get all the track in situe and try it out.... More to follow

kjt0802

Re: The 9x6 upgrade has begun......

Postby kjt0802 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:46 am

Bought some track today and have started to lay track roughly where it needs to be. Still got some points to get to finish off though. I also powered it up to test a couple of loco's on the 2 main lines and the station line too.
When its all laid I can then start to do all the wiring and point motor slots before I pin the track down in its final position. I'm going to be sinking the turntable into the board as I dont like it raised.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:31 am

Some very neat work there.
Inclines are always a nightmare - depends on the locomotive & amount of stock
you want to pull up. So enjoy testing & don't let a small set back upset you.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:25 pm

Dad-1 wrote:Some very neat work there.
Inclines are always a nightmare - depends on the locomotive & amount of stock
you want to pull up. So enjoy testing & don't let a small set back upset you.

Geoff T.

Thanks for those kind words Geoff. I have now got the incline sorted and built on one side, I have got some more pics to put up later and have tested the incline with all loco's with 4 coaches with no problems. I am in the process of making some card profiles for the hills and tunnels.

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:48 pm

Well been a little busy so not got much done this week. Anyways I have built the incline on one side of the layout and tested it with all my loco's and they all pull 4 coaches with ease.

I then started to cut out some card to create some profiles for the hills to give me an idea of what I'd like the slopes to look like.

I will be creating a road on the left side which will rise up along the side of the inclined track to bring traffic from the other side of the layout

I also created some of the smaller slopes to the begining of the incline to give me some idea of what it should look like too

In this last pic I was hoping to have more gap between the elevated track and the back wall but I havent enough space to make a larger incline up and back as I was hoping to put a couple of cottages there then a slope down to the track. Instead what I intend to do now is make a rock face from the track to the back board that will be there when i fit it.

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:33 pm

Good work and progress.

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:21 am

joshing_man wrote:Good work and progress.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, I'm waiting for some parts and not had alot of time the last few days but hope to post some more pics soon...

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:54 pm

Hi all, bit of an update.... Thought i'd share the way I built my incline today.
Firstly I got some A4 paper and placed it under the track that I was making into an incline. I over lapped the paper and marked the outline that I needed. I also numbered the pages and made small marks across the joints of the paper.

When I had marked all the sheets I removered them and started to line up the marks

I then taped across both front and back joints with cellotape.

Then I cut out the piece I needed and tried it under the track to make sure it was what I wanted

I then lay the cutting onto the 6mm ply and drew around it
I cut the ply into 3 pieces

All that was needed then was to cut blocks to make the incline supports and screw them down with the ply on top

Hoping to have the points that I need to finish the track tomorrow!! More to come!!

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 pm

Layout is making good progress, thanks for sharing it with us.
All Aboooooard !!

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:42 am

Not been doing nuch this week but I have had a change of mind and design again... You know how it is, I think its called evolution!! Lol. Anyhow I am moving the branch line that goes round on the hillside further in at the back of the layout by approx 6" and removing the road that was along side it. By removing the road this alows me to move the track. My main thoughts were to have a nice slope on the hills but having the track close to the edge made this impossible. By moving the branch line this means I can get the slope I originally wanted. Some of you will note that this means removing the turntable too, so I have redisigned the fiddle yard too. The hill can then be supported by a long retaining wall. I will post some more design pics for you as soon as I get them finished to give you a better idea, I just wanted to let you know the progress

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:28 pm

Here's the new design....

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:26 pm

Well been busy again altering things. This time I have redone the gradients and finished the fiddle yard.

Any higher and I would have had too steep a gradient. As it is I have managed to get on one side 1:31 and on the other 1:28.

I have had to custom build a temp portal to get an idea of the size and clearances. I was limited to the hight of the portal because of the hight of the elivated track.
I used a bit of Metcalfe Paving slab card. I like the look so may even use it as the finished thing, with some more work of course.
I'm waiting on some cork sheets now to cut up as track underlay then I can fix the track and as I do that I can make the slots for the point motors. Not all will have underboard because of struts.

Unfortunately I had a misshap... Slipped putting a screw in and the bit on the end of my drill went through my nail!! Ouch!!

WARNING!!!

TURN AWAY IF SQUEEMISH!!!!!

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:40 am

Latest update...
I have been bitting and bobbing this last week or so, so not got much done.. I am half way through laying cork under the track..

Here I have put surface mount Point Motors as there are struts below in the way and also these points are under a hill side with good access from the rear. I dont have to be neat with the cork here as it is under a hill side and nor will I be putting ballast down

I have also been practicing with some scenery making, namely Plaster forming of embankments. This is the first time I have done this and I think its passable...

This is the lower side of the embankment where I will be putting a Tunnel Portal

I have also had a little practice at laying some Ballast and again this is my first ever attempt..

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:48 am

A little tip.... once the ballast has set you can remove the track pins and the track should hold in position
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

kjt0802

Postby kjt0802 » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:A little tip.... once the ballast has set you can remove the track pins and the track should hold in position

Hi, thanks for that..... will give that one a go...

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”