Improving Hornby Railroad Teaks

Discuss model railway topics and news that do not fit into other sections.
krusty

Improving Hornby Railroad Teaks

Postby krusty » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:29 pm

I've been lurking for a good while now and decided I really do need some direction with a little in between times project.
I have a few old Hornby LNER teaks and although not the greatest models, I would like to try and improve the general look of them. They definitely need some new wheels but which ones? They will stay as a fixed rake, so chopping off couplings is a possibility. But what would really improve the coaches and help with the fake plastic wood look of them? I am a returning railway modeller after a 20 year break. My skills in the weathering department are non existent and as yet I don't have an airbrush. Wifey has said that she'll buy me one for my birthday, only a few weeks away. :D Any advice on getting the best out of these old coaches would be gratefully received.

Krusty.

rosenblad

Re: Improving Hornby Railroad Teaks

Postby rosenblad » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:19 pm

Welcome back to the world's greatest hobby! I replaced mine with Jackson/Romford 14mm plain disc wheels. These were a perfect fit and the coupling height is still correct even though the new wheels are (correctly) larger in diameter.
Carpe Diem!

krusty

Postby krusty » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:15 pm

sorry for the delay, just got back from Wales for a weeks camping and riding the narrow gauge railways!
Thanks for the advice on the wheels, I need to do some wheel changes on some Hornby and Bachmann BR mk1s also, would these wheels be suitable for those coaches too?

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:20 am

Hornby do packs of 10 axles in the right size (14.1mm) for about £6. These will be suitable for any Hornby coaches and are available off the shelf at most model shops/online (Try Hattons).
The great thing about the older teaks is Hornby actually thought about close coupling and did a damn fine job of it, oddly never repeated this until well into the China era. I think the hue looks far more convincing that the uber expensive china made ones as well, as teak coaches done stay that deap colour for very long out in the weather.
Jim

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:25 am

To answer your question, yes they will fit both Hornby and Bachmann Mk1 coaches. Bacmann's wheels of recent manufacture are very good though. Whatever you do, I suggest you stay well clear of the offerings from Hornby because of the terrible flange profile! It really is a pity that they insist on making those wheels because most of their other recent models are really very good!
Carpe Diem!

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:41 am

rosenblad wrote:To answer your question, yes they will fit both Hornby and Bachmann Mk1 coaches. Bacmann's wheels of recent manufacture are very good though. Whatever you do, I suggest you stay well clear of the offerings from Hornby because of the terrible flange profile! It really is a pity that they insist on making those wheels because most of their other recent models are really very good!

Hornby wheels/axels will also fit Airfix, Mainline and Dapol coaches/wagons.
As for steering clear of Hornby wheels, it's a matter of choice.
My stock (coaches/wagons) runs on 30 year old Peco Streamline track/point work wIthout any problems.
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:00 pm

Replace the wheels has already been covered, and you mention removing the couplings. If you do that, I can thoroughly recommend replacing them with the Keen Systems close coupling units. These have been around for donkeys years now were developed with Hornby coaches in mind (among others), these coaches now being the ones that are appearing in the railroad range. This will give you the same effect of close coupling that the more modern coaches have.

A bit of extra detailing wouldn't hurt, and would be a nice little project. The conduit that follows the solebar on one side of the coaches would be an easy one to do with a bit of fuse wire or brass rod, and as coaches were kept relatively clean the weathering needed is very minimal and can be started with no need of an airbrush. Some light dirt washes of the sides to highlight the beading and doors is all that is really needed with airbrush work limited to the underframe and roof.

krusty

Postby krusty » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:57 pm

Plenty of food for thought there, thanks folks. I am using Peco Streamline code 100 points and flexitrack, so larger flanges are not a major problem, if undesirable. In fact my reasoning for the code 100 track is due to some ageing stock from Lima, Airfix and Hornby. The principal reason for my re-wheeling is to replace crude plastic wheels.

Krusty.

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:29 pm

Your reason for choosing code 100 track is indeed a very sensible one. Replacing all the crude plastic wheels is also very good. The reason for staying clear of the Hornby wheels is not the size of the flanges but the fact that the flange shape is a technical disaster! Romford, Bachmann and the later Dapol wheels are all very good but as far as I know Dapol only make wheels suitable for freight wagons.
Carpe Diem!

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:26 am

I have hundreds of items of rolling stock with hornby wheels and I have never had an issue with them. My track is made of peco streamline and setrack, varying in age from new to getting on for 35 years old.

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:03 am

The profile of the flange is a disaster! Try rolling a wagon with Hornby wheels along a curve while listening to the scraping sound against the outer rail. Then you can do the same thing with a wagon equipped with Romford or Bachmann wheels and compare. I think you will see (hear) what I mean! Hornby wheels are simply rubbish!
Carpe Diem!

Return to “General Model Railway Discussion / News”