Andrew's New Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
joshing_man

Andrew's New Loft Layout

Postby joshing_man » Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:10 am

Morning all.

Here is my loft (including the junk). As you can see there is lots to do before I can start laying track. My intention is to have the baseboard at the height of the cross beams (approx 3.5 feet) to enable me to go around the annoying chimney stack. I will board the floor properly and also the ceiling to keep in heat and spiders, cobwebs and dust out.

Here is a basic layout done on HVR2. It is far from the finished product and I could do with some help in maximising the space. The total length is 13.5 feet and width 8 feet. The hole in the middle area is the chimney stack and control area. Is the best idea? - there is no access from the sides due to the height but will be from the hatch end.

I need some advice re points positioning, best use of sidings. My main criteria are 2 main loops and a smaller/inner loop for a works line plus sidings. I will have a raised area and tunnels. It would be good to have 2 stations if possible. Any suggestions and advice is welcome. I am a complete newbie and may be biting off more than I can chew but better to aim high I think!

I am not a purist so will be running steam trains (Flying Scotsman and Darlington Green) but also have an old InterCity 125 (2 engines plus 2 carriages) that will look great on the straights. The scenery will develop over time and probably change the layout but some sort of works would be good.

Thanks again for your help. Have a great Christmas.

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:21 pm

Come on guys I need your help. The photos are sorted (thanks Simon) so you can now see what I am talking about.

Hope you all had a good day and got some stuff for your own layouts.

Andrew

Pete

Postby Pete » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:33 pm

Come on guys I need your help.

At 11.20pm on Christmas day, there is an irony to this!

At least wait till morning! :D

Merry Christmas
Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:41 pm

Tee Hee - forgot what I was saying - I just looked at the views and knew I had messed up the photos at first. Didn't mean to upset anyone!

Please help when you have time as my inspiration has gone and I know it needs a lot of work. The layout also has to suit some playability for my 9 year old hence the desire for stations.

Thanks

Andrew

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:56 am

Have modified the layout and made the curves mostly 2nd and 3rd radii. It looks a bit busy but it appears to work. However I am not fully happy with it as I think it needs more sidings but cant work out where to put them!!

Any help would be much appreciated. The outer track is elevated for a large amount of time with the second track going under it and through a tunnel at one end (see the HVR2 piccy).

The inner track is for the goods/works train - probably a saw or steel works.

As said before I am not looking to do a particular time period but will be mostly steam to begin with.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Andrew

coupesteve

Postby coupesteve » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:00 am

glad you changed access to those sidings in the middle, i was gonna say i foresee problems with you manuevering your longer trains into those sidings

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:30 pm

Yeah it didn't seem right but have now thought a bit more about it! Would like to have more obvious sidings but may have to redesign further. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.[img][/img]

dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:01 pm

Hi andrew on the back of the H&M2000 controller you have 4 outlets and 1 and 2 are for controllering trains and outlet 3 is for controlling point motors and accessories that need 16AC and outlet 4 is for light signals and accessories that need 12DC.

Here the diagram i have done for the H&M2000 controller it's not a great one but gives the idea,i will see if i can scan the instructions at my brothers at the weekend.

On the back of add-on controller it is just for controlling trains only.

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:57 pm

That's a great help - many thanks.

Andrew

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:45 pm

Have settled on the following layout (at least until I try the baseboard and layout in situ :lol: ). Improved the sidings and flow of the track. Can now easily run 3 trains with 1 waiting.

If there are any glaring errors please let me know.

My next pictures will be with baseboard constructed and then with some track actually laid - hopefully some time in the next month or so! :roll: :lol:

Andrew

Raider

Postby Raider » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:55 pm

I want a bigger loft!!

Sorry, not adding much to your layout, but I am getting jealous of all these layouts that are bigger than the 6' X 4' I can get into the space I have.

(End of loft envy)

Chris

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:07 pm

Yeah but see photo of what a pain to get the sort of size I want - I wish it was the size and condition of loft you see in the HVR2 pic! :lol:

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:21 pm

joshing_man wrote:Yeah but see photo of what a pain to get the sort of size I want - I wish it was the size and condition of loft you see in the HVR2 pic! :lol:

Can't you just click a button to change your loft space then ? Damn, I must have mis-read something somewhere ........ :lol:
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:23 pm

Having seen some of the latest layouts I'm beginning to wonder whether the virtual world is the safest bet :lol: :roll:

Kentman98

Postby Kentman98 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:26 pm

Yep, i'm going out tomorrow and buying myself a copy of MS Train Simulator. and then spend the money I have left over on women :lol:
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”