schools class

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
rejrob

schools class

Postby rejrob » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi all :D Having 1 or 2 of the class on my layout 30908/10/15/18/32(with self loader tender with upper parts from scrap nelson tender) I have always found problems with the front steps.None of the curves on the layout are less 3ft 6in radius so i would think they would not cause the loco to #Fall over# There seems to be very little clearance between the bogie wheels and the steps and subsequently i have angled the steps outward to prevent derailing.Does not look so good but cures the prob. Anyone else had this problem Cheers Ron

Bigmet

Re: schools class

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:29 pm

With layout curves as large as 3'6", the steps should be able to be correctly positioned. What happens if you run the loco without the tender coupled on? I have seen someone have similar trouble with a kit built Arthur or Nelson (cannot remember which) 4-6-0 which has similar front footstep arrangements, nicely positioned to foul the leading bogie wheels. The loco was fine on curves on its own, but the leading bogie wheel fouled when the tender was coupled on. What became apparent was that the tender couldn't pivot enough relative to the rear of the loco. What then happens is that the chassis movements to take up the curvature are not shared equitably between bogie, coupled wheelbase and tender sections, instead the bogie is displaced further, making a wheel foul the footstep.

There's more tricks in the toolbox to get you to correctly positioned steps:

Obviously the steps themselves need to be as thin as possible.

Change bogie wheelsets, to sets with as narrow width a tyre as possible.

Putting a limit on the sideways displacement of the front of the bogie so the wheel positively cannot contact the front step.

rejrob

Postby rejrob » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:07 pm

Hi all Cheers for the info.It was to do with the loco cab platform fouling the tender Learn a little every day and still be as daft as before :D Goes great now It was the Blundells that had the problem and as i had made the self loading tender i overlooked the little things Like falling off the track?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:36 am

That's good. I have been caught out by tenders binding on too. Sometimes even when they appear to have adequate freedom, but some small detail on the facing body work of loco or tender or both doesn't always permit the swinging to happen fully. The Bachmann A1 was a bit of a bear for this with the tender on the close setting for example.

kristopher1805

Postby kristopher1805 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:06 am

I like this loco and it is brave of Hornby to make 4-4-0 locos just that mine has disintegrated the front bogie pick ups, a complete mess and not repairable, seems to be weak assembly, could do with a system more like the 2P which funds very well.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”