Hornby B1

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
Black-Marlin

Hornby B1

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:39 pm

Well chaps, hot on the heels of the re-chassied Bachmann B1, the Hornby version is now on sale (http://www.ehattons.com/35819/Hornby_Model_Railways_R2999_Thompson_Class_B1_4_6_0_BR_Black_with_early_emblem/StockDetail.aspx) More expensive, certainly, than the Bachmann version, but I suspect it will take my money anyway - Hornby have been knocking them out of the ball-park, recently, when it comes to 4-6-0s. There isn't a weak one amongst them: King Arthur; Royal Scot; Patriot; Black 5; Castle... need I say more?

I'll be interested, since Modelzone stocks both Bachmann & Hornby, to be able to set them side by side and do a direct visual comparison. If I can, I will take photos for you guys.

Cheers,
Gavin

trainsandco

Re: Hornby B1

Postby trainsandco » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:10 pm

oh wow, that looks amazing!

It will probably take my money at one point (probably either when I have money, or it's just come down in price a little ;) )

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:34 pm

Saw my first ones today, BR and LNER black versions, stunning! Hope they do 1306 Mayflower as rumoured next year, maybe 61264 :D
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:22 pm

pity about the wheels.......

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:20 am

The body appearance though is stunning, and the attention paid to the variants is impressive. They have tooled this baby to cover most of the major mods to the class by the looks of it; which does stand out over the competing Bachmann version which is sound dimensionally, but 'one size fits all'. So, let's wait until next summer for the price to come down once the early sales rush is over, I am hoping the pricing will be like the competing BR standard 4s from Hornby and Bachmann.

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:26 pm

I dont think you can really fault the latest 'loco drive' Hornby steam locos. They look great, and run really well, even under DCC control, on dirty track.

Although the B1 is not really appropriate to the region I model, I would suspect that the Hornby version will be a much better runner than the bachmann version, due to the 5 pole motor, and wiper pickups in the tender.

I am saving up for a 4MT 4-6-0, and am tempted to pay the extra, for the Hornby model, due to the sound running properties that I have experienced with the 2 Rebuilt West Country Pacifics that I own.
My layout, only look if you are interested:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48422

Latest Video Link:

https://youtu.be/g5ytOK5FCZc

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:44 am

markS&D wrote:I dont think you can really fault the latest 'loco drive' Hornby steam locos. They look great, and run really well, even under DCC control, on dirty track.

Although the B1 is not really appropriate to the region I model, I would suspect that the Hornby version will be a much better runner than the bachmann version, due to the 5 pole motor, and wiper pickups in the tender.

You suspect, but your wrong. The Bachmann B1 is a fantastic runner, the new chassis is their best yet running wise, and they were damn good anyway.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:02 am

D605Eagle wrote: You suspect, but your wrong.

A brave statement to make before the verdict's in... has anyone even done a comparative test yet?

G

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:17 am

No, but I have the Bach B1, and can say that it is a delightful runner as received. Really smooth and quiet, creeps along dead slow, does a good express speed; and that's on DC, yet more refined on DCC. Basically it's more than good enough. I have Hornby's L1s of which all these same good things can be said, and expect their B1 chassis to be of the same quality. Essentially both companies can produce the drive characteristics required...

BTW Bach have refined their steam loco chassis design (also applies to the compound and 3F) screw down motor mount construction instead of the previous plastic clip in motor mount, axles run in brass bearings. I think it is the latter bringing the extra smoothness straight out of the box.

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:09 pm

This is based on personal experience with Bachmann and Hornby locos. The additional current collection from the tender wheels improves models ability to run over complex pointwork and crossings, without stalling.

Wheras Bachmann now seem content with just providing current collection on the loco driving wheels only. I have mentioned before about the S&D 7F 2-8-0, this particular model, in my opinion would benefit from a more powerful '5 pole' motor, and additional current collection in the tender. This would help it to run better at low speeds over points and crossings, as I have found that it tends to stop on Peco insulfrog points and crossings when hauling wagons at low speed.

It appears to have the same motor as the 'Standard 5' 4-6-0, but as this model is geared lower, the slow speed running is quite good.
My layout, only look if you are interested:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48422

Latest Video Link:

https://youtu.be/g5ytOK5FCZc

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:... has anyone even done a comparative test yet?

Had the new Bachmann B1 for a while, now have a Hornby B1 thanks to those good old summer prices. Nothing to choose between them for running, the Hornby slightly noisier at the moment but I expect that will quiet to near silence; it took the two L1s I have a couple of weeks to become really quiet.

Seeing the two B1s side by side, my old Replica body - now on its third chassis and much modified - alongside the Hornby as Top Shed's 61138: I won't be buying any more of the Bach now that the Hornby price is really low. This has to be one of the best executed models out there, the tender especially massively better than the Bachmann. Now where are the O1 and B17?

kristopher1805

Postby kristopher1805 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:57 am

I totally agree Bigmet, I bought 61180 from Bachmann nicely weathered apart from the coal shield which is missed, however better than the split chassis it may be but the `Hornby version is superb, I have 3 of these LNER 1040, 61138 and 61243 (I think) and they are all smooth, quiet, haul big loads, take indifferent track, or complicated points, deal with sharp radius points, a terrific model that blows Bachmann away. Bachamann too refuse to sell replacement chassis which drop into the old bodies, I have 61002 and 61003 plus another now out of action that could all take the new chassis (it is a 30 second swap) so Bachmann you are losing out, Good work Hornby!

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:05 am

Have both the LNER versions-One in green(1123) & the black Roedeer(1040).Cannot agree enough that Hornby's is a belter.Had I known,I would've picked up a BR version when they were also reduced,but a B1 as good as that for the Bachmann price is great.

VonkeyVong

Postby VonkeyVong » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:51 pm

Here are my two.
Along with The Hornby L1 they are probably my favourite models.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:55 am

Can't fault Hornby's version at all,but Bachmann's needs perhaps a little extra weight in the loco,cos there's a tiny hint of wheelslip from my 1123 green one that you won't find with my Hornby 1040 Roedeer.
Both locos have been tested with the same 6 coaches pulled from a standing start.

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”