Bachmann 34-328, 50ft Parcels Van BR Blue

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
User avatar
GordonBigBoy
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:11 am

Bachmann 34-328, 50ft Parcels Van BR Blue

Postby GordonBigBoy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:07 am

Does anyone run these parcel vans in a rake? I would like to have some but cannot find any images on the net that are helpful as to how they ran. Looking for information such as how many in a rake typically and which loco's (generally) would have pulled them. Grateful for any help.
Bachman 34-328 50ft parcel van in BR blue.jpg
Bachman 34-328 50ft parcel van in BR blue.jpg (41.37 KiB) Viewed 2703 times

Bachmann 34-328, 50ft Parcels Van BR Blue
Gordon - A Really Big Engine

Bigmet
Posts: 7638
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Bachmann 34-328, 50ft Parcels Van BR Blue

Postby Bigmet » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:41 am

These vans, and the many other functionally identical vehicles of all the big four and BR, could be seen all mixed up on parcels, newspaper and sundries traffic in the BR blue era, making them some of the most interesting trains running. (In addition to more of the same, throw in any of BR design BG, GUV and CCT, Gresley, Thompson, Hawksworth, Maunsell bogie BGs, Stanier 6 wheel BG, Maunsell CCT, in whatever proportions you fancy - all available RTR. There's plenty of kits for more variety too.) This specific type usually had the end gangways plated over, as this gangway type was obsolete by then. Typically they were filthy, covered in track and brake dust to an even grey brown tone, as they ran at some speed but never saw a carriage washing plant. The power on the front would be whatever was standard on the route: classes 31, 37, 40, 45 or 47 on the ECML.

User avatar
GordonBigBoy
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:11 am

Re: Bachmann 34-328, 50ft Parcels Van BR Blue

Postby GordonBigBoy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:25 am

Bigmet wrote:These vans, and the many other functionally identical vehicles of all the big four and BR, could be seen all mixed up on parcels, newspaper and sundries traffic in the BR blue era, making them some of the most interesting trains running. (In addition to more of the same, throw in any of BR design BG, GUV and CCT, Gresley, Thompson, Hawksworth, Maunsell bogie BGs, Stanier 6 wheel BG, Maunsell CCT, in whatever proportions you fancy - all available RTR. There's plenty of kits for more variety too.) This specific type usually had the end gangways plated over, as this gangway type was obsolete by then. Typically they were filthy, covered in track and brake dust to an even grey brown tone, as they ran at some speed but never saw a carriage washing plant. The power on the front would be whatever was standard on the route: classes 31, 37, 40, 45 or 47 on the ECML.

Thanks bigmet - exactly the information I was after. The abbreviations took me a little time to work out and I just want to confirm I understand correctly - thank you wiki. Learnt a lot here about trucks and vans.

big four : ER Eastern Region, NER North-Eastern R~, LMR London Midland R~, ScR Scottish R~, SR Southern R~

BR : British Rail

BG : Bogey. A bogie is a chassis or framework carrying wheels, attached to a vehicle.

GUV : A General Utility Van (GUV) is a type of rail vehicle built by British Rail and its predecessors, which was primarily used for transporting mail and parcels

CCT : covered carriage truck

RTR : Ready to Run. A model railroad locomotive or train car may be labeled RTR to distinguish it from a kit that must be put together before it can be run on your layout.

ECML : The East Coast Main Line (ECML) is a 393-mile (632 km) long electrified high-speed railway link between London, Peterborough, Doncaster, Wakefield, Leeds, York, Darlington, Newcastle and Edinburgh.

Hope I got them all right.
Gordon - A Really Big Engine

User avatar
GordonBigBoy
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:11 am

Re: Bachmann 34-328, 50ft Parcels Van BR Blue

Postby GordonBigBoy » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:27 am

so my understanding is I could easily put a couple of these GUV in a rake with several other CCT and BG Wagons.

One last question on this subject, and apologies if I am a bit slow on the uptake.

There appears to be better RTR options on-line in the RES livery for very reasonable prices. It looks like the BR GUV discussed above had been taken out of service by the time RES came along(?)

If I was compiling a RES rake how many 'full brake' could typically be included? Already discussed on another thread for passenger trains Mk1 coaches I have learnt it would be normal to have a brake front and back - is this the same for RES freight being pulled by a diesel loco in the eighties/nineties. The brake in question is below -

RES Full Brake.jpg
RES Full Brake.jpg (32.39 KiB) Viewed 2661 times

Bachmann UK 39-183A BR Mk1 NEX full brake in "RES" red/grey

So how many 'brake' vans can you include in a rake? Is four correct? - Hattons are selling a 4 box pack together at a discount :? many thanks in anticipation.
Gordon - A Really Big Engine

Bigmet
Posts: 7638
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Bachmann 34-328, 50ft Parcels Van BR Blue

Postby Bigmet » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:34 am

GordonBigBoy wrote:...big four : ER Eastern Region, NER North-Eastern R~, LMR London Midland R~, ScR Scottish R~, SR Southern R~
...

Those are the British Railway Regions, which apply from nationalisation in 1948.

Before that the railways were in private ownership, with a government brokered scheme which came into effect in 1923 as 'the Grouping' which brought about the 'Big Four' by amalgamations of 20 significantly sized 'pre-group' companies and a similar number of minor operations. The groups thus formed in 1923 were GWR, LMS, LNER, SR. (At the time of formation the LMS was the largest joint stock company - what we would now call a PLC - in the world, with the LNER not much smaller; these were very large undertakings for their day and the management difficulties the LMS in particular experienced reflect that.)

On nationalisation the scene was rejigged, LMS becomes LMR, but with the lines in Scotland of the former LMS and LNER now made into a single Scottish Region (ScR); while the LNER is broken up into two regioons a Southern area, ER, and a Northern area, NER, which is pretty much the same territory as the old North Eastern Railway of pre-grouping days. If you enjoy history there's lots more to discover...

The end effects of all this are many, but one of the main ones is that the equipement and infrastucture of the railway was built to many different standards with a great deal of resulting variety, some of which is still on view today.

Cannot help you with the RES BG question, that's 'modern times' on the railway which I know little about.

User avatar
K9-70
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:36 pm
Location: N.Ireland
Contact:

Re: Bachmann 34-328, 50ft Parcels Van BR Blue

Postby K9-70 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:22 pm

BG : Bogey. A bogie is a chassis or framework carrying wheels, attached to a vehicle.

BG : Gangwayed Brake, not Bogie
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

User avatar
GordonBigBoy
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:11 am

Re: Bachmann 34-328, 50ft Parcels Van BR Blue

Postby GordonBigBoy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:07 am

K9-70 wrote:BG : Bogey. A bogie is a chassis or framework carrying wheels, attached to a vehicle.

BG : Gangwayed Brake, not Bogie


Another Brake..... now I am definately :? confused!
Can you please answer the question about brakes in a rake, number of, typically, and maximum likely to be seen?

GordonBigBoy wrote:If I was compiling a RES rake how many 'full brake' could typically be included? Already discussed on another thread for passenger trains Mk1 coaches I have learnt it would be normal to have a brake front and back - is this the same for RES freight being pulled by a diesel loco in the eighties/nineties. The brake in question is below -

RES Full Brake.jpg
RES Full Brake.jpg (32.39 KiB) Viewed 2617 times

Bachmann UK 39-183A BR Mk1 NEX full brake in "RES" red/grey

So how many 'brake' vans can you include in a rake? Is four correct? - Hattons are selling a 4 box pack together of the above 30-183A at a discount :? very confused. Many thanks in anticipation.
Gordon - A Really Big Engine

User avatar
thebritfarmer
Posts: 1490
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:46 pm
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Bachmann 34-328, 50ft Parcels Van BR Blue

Postby thebritfarmer » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:36 am

I am not 100% but for mail the train is made up of brakes, i would use some of the 50ft parcels,some brakes and also the newspaper wagons. That is what I am doing probably have up to 10 altogether and also will add the sorting van.
All Aboooooard !!

User avatar
GordonBigBoy
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:11 am

Re: Bachmann 34-328, 50ft Parcels Van BR Blue

Postby GordonBigBoy » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:51 am

thebritfarmer wrote:I am not 100% but for mail the train is made up of brakes, i would use some of the 50ft parcels,some brakes and also the newspaper wagons. That is what I am doing probably have up to 10 altogether and also will add the sorting van.


Thanks Farmer - appreciate the response as I have just about researched this to death. See the other thread: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15101&p=480459#p480459

Job done! RES rake just purchased on-line: class 47 + 6 vans for just £158. Very happy with that. viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15101&p=480470#p480470
Thanks everyone for the valuable advice.
Gordon - A Really Big Engine


Return to “Bachmann”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests