Argyle Road - Reloaded

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mikem64

Re: Argyle Road

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Troop,

Well over the very wet & windy weekend I should have been working on Wordsworth, but I seem to have a bee in my bonnet with Argyle Road. I've completed the single road engine shed & made a start cutting the pieces for the second double engine shed. I'm not sure if the area will take this shed without cluttering things up, plus it would hide too many loco's.

Therefore I might wait & see if the look & feel is right, I can have two loco's inside the shed & two standing outside in front, which I believe will look more realistic & pleasing to the eye.

Both sheds need weathering as I want a more grubby look with this little gem.

Still not decided how or what size the standing area will be ? Do I just do the shed interiors & ballast the rest, or have some hard standing in front of the sheds ? Plus I've still not decided on what method I'm going to use, plaster / card or that great idea as seen used by Jas in that lovely layout Hood-dale Main... Das Clay ?

So with lots to think about here are a few more pic's.

The new single road shed using the same style as the double road shed.

Here's how they look on the layout.

Here we see A4 Bittern waiting inside the new shed.

Here we are looking up the layout from between the two sheds.

Here we look in the opposite direction back towards the sheds.

Still have lots of weathering to do which should tones things down, plus once I get the ballast & scenery going in it should all transform again.

Catch you all later, hopefully with work being done on Wordsworth ?

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Troop,

I finished what I could wiring wise for Argyle Road, this being all the isolation switches & power supplies to the track. For such a small layout it takes a load of wiring, remember no point work will be motorised on this layout as hand of god method will suffice.

Still a little more wiring to be done, I have the yard flood lights to install, a street light on the bridge & last will be the engine sheds.

Now all the track is powered it was time for a complete test, really nice to see it all in operation. It is a little different to Wordsworth in many ways, but it's fun.

I now have my Das Clay so now it's time to decide who big & where the hard standing will go, I can see this being real fun, last time I played with clay was many moons ago, I think the dinosaurs had just died.......LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm still digging through all the boxes under Wordsworth & found 4 more new loco's to join the Argyle fleet, just had too see what they looked like in the shed area.

So lets have some photo's.

Home made control panel made from plasticard.

The wiring control center

Power supply & isolating wires to the tracks.

First arrival at Argyle Road is A4 "Sir Ralph Wedgewood"

Next arrival followed shortly & was another A4 "Seagul"

Pulling along side Sparrowhawk is Dominion of Canada.

Last arrival is A4 "Gadwell"

Wonder what you call a flock of A4's ? :? :? :?

Looks as if the work force will be busy tonight getting this lot ready for the next day.

That's all for now I'm afraid, hope you find something that tickled your fancy.

Cheers,
Mike.
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Looks more like 'Top Shed'......... :lol:

Another coincidence, I used to live in Argyle Road, in Westcliff-on-Sea (Southend) many moons ago, had a big layout up in the loft,

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
markh

Post by markh »

not a bad layout there & plenty of streamlined a4s
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Troop,
manna wrote:G'Day Gents

Looks more like 'Top Shed'......... :lol:

Another coincidence, I used to live in Argyle Road, in Westcliff-on-Sea (Southend) many moons ago, had a big layout up in the loft,

manna
Not 100% sure where I got Argyle Road name idea from, but it just sounded like a steam engine shed would have been there :lol:

Well a little more progress at Argyle Road, continued with the bridge covering the entrance to the fiddle yard (Once that gets built). I took the bridge section up into the loft as it's easier working on the work bench.

First was to complete the walls & add a footpath. Next up was add some detail by painting the road surface, a speed sign, a working light & a statue on the bridge buttress wall. I now have a name for the bridge as the statue says it all...."Phoenix Bridge".

Next was to tone the new Wordsworthy look down to a nice grubby Argyle Road style, hate to say this but the pictures don't do the job justice, looks better in the flesh shall we say.

Next task was the vegetation so it looks as if the bridge has seen some time pass by.

So lets have a few pictures shall we.

Phoenix Bridge newly completed.

View down the other face.

Some top side decoration

Added some sharp bend arrows.

Out with the weathering powders.

Extra soot marks where the trains run under.

Vegetation was next to be added.

Closer look at Phoenix bridge.

Side wall view of the grime & growth.

Now back on the layout.

Looking down into Argyle Road.

Well there we go, another step forward.

Cheers Mike.
thebritfarmer

Post by thebritfarmer »

Wow Mike that really is a great looking scenic piece!!
All Aboooooard !!
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Troopers
thebritfarmer wrote:Wow Mike that really is a great looking scenic piece!!
Thanks for the comment, I'm trying to push things to my limit & the pressure is showing, still have lots to learn as what I want I'm having issues creating it.

Still it's all good fun trying out new techniques, & today was no exception. I managed to find a wall mounted two aspect Eckon signal kit which I really wanted. So today I built the unit up, painted it, & then gave it a very good coating with weathering powder....That stuff gets everywhere.

Top tip here, after weathering don't go around the house opening doors or putting on light switches, had an ear bashing from the wife.......Finger prints everywhere, looked like a crime scene..... :oops: :oops: :oops:

Back to the layout, mounted the new signal just down from Phoenix Bridge, run some wires to the control panel & applied a 9v test battery, can't find my DC power supply unit at present, looks like another day digging through boxes.

Quite happy with the finished result, nearly ready for fixing all into place with glue.

Whilst I had my electrical bit's & bobs I drilled holes in the baseboards so yard lamps could be fitted, run out of time so didn't get these powered up, maybe tomorrow.

Here are a few pictures.

New signal at red.

Now set to green.

Closer inspection of the Eckon signal.

A4 Gadwell waits at the red signal for the track to clear.

Green signal given & Gadwell steams off under Phoenix Bridge.

A4 Gadwell leaving Argyle Road.

Yard lighting crew have been busy today.

Should look pretty cool when the big switch on takes place.

Well must go as I'm being given other tasks by the good lady of the household.

Catch you all later,
Mike.
hiffano

Post by hiffano »

WHAT! no, tell her you have an admiting audience waiting for the yard light switch on, i'm sure she will understand!.. ;-)
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Gents,

Well it's been sometime since any updates, this is mainly due to the fact time is being used up else where. I'm still no further forward with the lighting. this is still on my too do list, decided to drop it down the ladders shall we say.

Thought it would be best to get all the LED's fitted & then do the grand switch on.

I've not been completely idle as I have managed to sneak in a hour here & there. I've completed the LED light fitting too the single road engine shed. Even if I do say so myself they have come out quite well.

I then tried several Wordsworth Kit water towers as I need one, but none seemed to fit the bill, so you've guessed it I'm starting a scratch built one. I'm trying out new techniques that I've learnt over the last few years.

I've opted for a nice simple design using the same brick paper as the engine sheds, then making the main base square in shape, above this brick base I'm added a nice green panel sided water tank. I want this to be an open top design so you can see the water level within, I will use some perspex & coloured paper just like I've used on my canal which looks not that bad on Wordsworth.

The pictures where taken a little late in the day, hour just before bed time as this was the only time spare at the end of the day.

Still have the water tank sides to complete plus the perspex to cut out. Also need the inside tank sides & finally the LED's to fit. The whole lot will then need to have the dirty treatment so it all fits into a steam layout.

So without further a do here are some pictures.

LED lighting being tested on the work bench.

Dim the room lights & hey presto........ :D

The new water tower starts to take shape.

The lower brick base is completed ready for the weathering.

A covering of perspex should give that nice shimmer effect what I'm after.

Hope a few more hours should see it completed, I can then get some nice pictures on Argyle Road.

Well there you have it, wish I could share more but like Mother Hubert the cupboard is bare.

Catch you all later,
Mike.
HARRYMALLARD

Post by HARRYMALLARD »

Nice update mate, had wondered where it had got to,. The water tower looks the biz! :)
My layouts:

Clicky here --> Image
Gasworks Lane micro layout
mikem64

Re: Argyle Road -CLOSED FOR BUSINESS

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Gents,

It's been a real pleasure running this thread but it's now time to close it down.

Thank you for all the comments & help given during my time on the forum.

Yours faithfully.
Mike.

Mod Edit

This thread is now locked to avoid endless questions as to reasons why.

If Mike wants it reopened, it can be

Lofty
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Troop,

Well this is a real blast from the past, yes the project is still alive (Barely) but some movement has taken place. I seem to have a shortage of time regards modelling, I believe the saying is too many irons in the fire....LOL.

Trouble is I do enjoy doing all of them, therefore time when it does come along is split between Argyle Road, Wordsworth, Wordsworth Kits & maintaining the web site. I've not listed the tasks given by "Her who must be obeyed".

Still I do have a little update to share with you, the hard standing area finally got completed. I had the option of DAS clay, card board or ready mixed filler. After watching many Youtube videos on the subject I opted for the Mixed Filler approach.

I made a frame round the area to be covered using modelling matchsticks, let the glue dry then piled in the mixture. If it was a meringue texture I was after I was on a winner......... :oops: As luck would have it my wife sprang to the rescue & recovered the situation with just a few moves..... :D

With some words of encouragement she left me too it. As the filler started to dry I ran a knife round the edges & then used an old Triang wagon with over sized wheel flanges to make the track grooves.

Once fully dried the matchstick frame was removed & a dremel to make the wheel slots deeper & wider. I painted the surface with some dark grey acrylic paint, then when dry I poured some ash from the old BBQ over the surface rubbing it in with a sponge & fingers. I quite like the finish, might not be every ones cuppa, but it's me I have too please. :wink:

Between the hard standing areas I'm using matchsticks to make a walkway / vehicle access ? It's coming along but still work in progress. I believe I'm now ready to remove all the scenic stuff & make it easier to put down the ballast, card structures & plant sprayers with PVA floating every where just doesn't mix.

So enough with the blah blah, lets have a look at some pic's.

General view showing both hard standing areas with sheds.

Sparrow Hawk sits nicely in the single shed.

A V1/3 sits in the double shed, nice view through to the rear retaining walls.

The water tower sits in it's new home waiting for scenic cover.

The unpainted matchstick walk way.

Not sure if the level crossing should stay or go ?

Hard standing area in front of the double shed.

Well that's the update, I still have a very long way too go regards getting too the stage where I'll be happy.

Until next time, have fun.
Mike.
mikem64

Re: Argyle Road - Reloaded

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Troop,

Well the card retaining walls were all removed along with engine sheds, water tower & signal box, all ready for the big ballast effort. But before this could start I had to finalize the position of the coaling tower , water crane & all the flood lighting.

After quite sometime I decided where they needed to be, drilled the new holes for the flood lighting, & glued them all in place. Finally decided the coaling tower would move from the straight section of track onto the run round loop, decision made so coal wagons adjacent to it could unload rather than doing in on the points.

Armed with my Woodland scenic buff medium ballast & teaspoon the boring big started, not one of my favourite bits of modelling, as usual it was then given a spray misting of water & washing up liquid, then 50:50 PVA & water was applied to the ballast so to set it in place.

Whilst that was drying I careful worked on the leading edge of the board applying hanging basket liner for rough grass, found some corrugated card board which was in the recycle bin, I've seen other modellers use this as the base for ploughed fields, so a section was cut & placed onto the layout.

All the retaining walls have now been glued in position where they are too remain, I purchased some Heki scenic products from Howards Model Railway Supplies after having them recommended by a fellow YouTuber. These are really nice items which really do look the part glued to the Arched Retaining Walls.

The field boundaries I'm using lichen as the bases for the hedgerow, I'll then give them a dusting with scatter material hoping to blend & tone the lichen down ? Not tried this method before, not this way, normally I do this off the layout using icecream tubs / pva & scatter.

Argyle Road is taking shape nicely now, it's been idle for a while but now it's well back on track.

Time for the normal picture parade...... "Finally" I hear you all say .... :lol:

General view looking down at the shed area.

General overview up at Phoenix Bridge end.

Bufferstops & barrow walk way behind the sheds.

With the double shed off the layout you can see the two covered inspection pits.

Both sheds back onto the layout.

Lovely red water crane & some line side wiring boxes with nice growth on the arched retaining walls.

Looking back towards the sheds.

Between both sheds.

View between both sheds.

A buffer stop starts to get overgrown down at Phoenix Bridge end of the layout.

The water tower, level crossing & signal box for Argyle Road.

The head shunt for the coaling tower.

The makings of a ploughed field whilst Bittern stands next to the coaling tower.

Well another update is completed, hope there is something of interest to others within my waffling, so until next time happy modelling & stay safe.

Cheers Mike.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Mike,
Phew, two postings in a week !!

Mike, a question as I have some hard standing to do.
How do your locomotives run on those plastered sections ?
I had trouble with a level crossing where the plaster was at rail head height and some locomotives
with wide tyres lifted in places making for erratic running. It took ages to trim back carefully so
wheels couldn't touch. I had no problems with the flanges as I chose to use a plasticard 4ft fill,
but the next job I fancied all plaster.

Geoff T.
HARRYMALLARD

Post by HARRYMALLARD »

If you have a level crossing make it out of plaster and make it smaller with no gates or with matchsticks :)
My layouts:

Clicky here --> Image
Gasworks Lane micro layout