Narrow Gauge Model Railway.

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
b308

Post by b308 »

Is that like that guy in Dec's CM?

Very nice, and lovely detail, but answer me one Q, why oh why do most G scale layouts use such sharp curves and deep flanges? They'd even be sharp and deep on my HO scale layout!! It spoils the effect completely for me........
Korschtal

Post by Korschtal »

I think it's because the scale is heavily influenced by LGB and other manufacturers who make the track deep so it's durable outdoors. Scratchbuilt track looks beautiful though.

Of course Gn15 (That's G scale on HO scale track giving roughly 15" or 450mm gauge prototypes) results in very fine trackwork whatever you use...
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.blogspot.com
mikey

Post by mikey »

Always a problem, the scale of the track, but one of the advantages of modelling the old french 'tramways' is that a thick layer of gravel/sand was put over the supporting ballast, so it is possible to only have the rails showing above ground thereby making it much more prototypical!

Mike
mikey

Post by mikey »

like this;

mike
egroeg93

Re: Narrow Gauge Model Railway.

Post by egroeg93 »

Meow!
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

NO, MY bed is going to be near the fridge :lol:. I'm probably going to move into this area due to my new project :D.
Krislights

Post by Krislights »

Hiya. I believe this one is relevant to NG inparticular, or maybe N gauge, due to the fact that 009 requires a very small turntable. And hence this is also the cheat on the way to do it. It may also be useful for wagon turntables, much simplified. We are not talking the N-gauge PECO jobby, Far too big, and not following the practice of making things from scratch, and may be of particular interest. Since this design is also accurate to the nth degree!
Can you also remind me of how to post images, Cheers. K. (owner of LLandaft!) Yes, an new section has sprouted, and I'll be keeping Parkside dundas busy for the next month or Two, if things go to plan. And yes, also, silver soldering, (well, actually brazing, to be technically correct) on slightly larger narrow gauge locos. Did I mention My supplies come from the owner of the Fairbourne!
If the wheels don't fit...
it's probably narrow-gauge.
"Awkward thinking".
Krislights

Post by Krislights »

PPS! crikey, bill! did you see how much the centre models Leek and Manifold kitsons went for on fleabay, the other week! well I can etch brass, and circuitboards, too, and N-drive have not quite sussed outside cranks, yet! and I like a challenge. A big book from Mr Gratton on said railway with drawings in the back.
And since I have already done a backwoods-esque Ibertren chassis, or two, in this manner, watch this space!
Lynbridge has nuffin on me.
The backwoods locos are running just fine, and I was going to order another one! ( I think I drive Pete McPartlin up the wall)!!!
Greenarrow kits, Yup, Lew, works just fine, with a few mods, even after all these years!
Making big engines, (5") and small ones (009), not a problem. Would you like me to etch sandy river! got copies!
Note to the wise, Greenwich, all the way!
If you can see it, you can do it!
I'm not to take on Pete, but if I get JB Earle and ER Calthrop right, maybe I'll offer it as a brass kit for all. Sadly not in a marketable state at the mo.
Outside cranks> Hmm. several ways of doing it. I prefer to make them out of scale and a bit chunkier. The trick is a perfect 90 degree, or it will never work.
Try doing 5" gauge cylinder honing to a thou. "well, it works on compressed air, why won't it work now?
Simple answer, cast the c/I pistons at the same time as the cylinders, from the same stuff, and maybe then, it won't expand at different rates, and cease! Steam's hot, innit!
Ruski, last thing I heard, was in the hands of Alan Keef.
Kindest regards. Keep on chugging! K. Great fun, this electronics lark, innit!
Not quite decided to do a live steam 009 loco yet, it has been done, watch this space. 2 big ones to finish first. Both NG!
"Awkward thinking".
Krislights

Post by Krislights »

PPS the NG Pullmans may end up with coupling slots, rather than holes at the ends of the balconies, to get the greenwich couplings to swing on such a small radius curve, I may have bitten off more than I can chew in freelance coach design. Brass and plasticard! since I have added steps at the end of each coach, a la Leek and Manifold as it would have been nowdays. See my location!!!
Working on it.... L & B bogies from PSDDAS. seem to fit the right look. Also, the quarryman's coach, or several, kit-bashed and plasticarded up to match the Corris breakvan. Just need buffers to match.
Probably the best designed kit of all time, and the most free-running, due to white metal chassis. Need to isolate and get some of those white metal chassis bits on their own. Spare sides from the brake van kits can easily become GVT goods vans, with a bit of kit bashing.
"Awkward thinking".
Krislights

Post by Krislights »

Yup, Doesn't make sense, does it! Perhaps it's to keep things on the rails on such tight corners! (at speed) Otherwise you'd need a baseboard/garden the size of a tennis court, and have to live in a mansion! Grin!
Model engineering, since this is probably the point, 0 gauge, that the hobby switches from modelling to model engineering,
(Mamod/accucraft/KJL engineering) Martin Evans' book goes into turning wheel flanges, from different railway company standards, and stuff, in great detail.
Well worth a read, if you can get hold of a copy.. And can stand the algebra!

Why do you think I went to 009. Can use HO/00 scenery from previous layouts, but in a much smaller abode. Student layout. LLandaft 6 foot modules! It's just got longer, over time.. last count, 55'! (ish)
I think 009/00N (as county gate boyo put it, 009 society splinter group?) (bit of a doo-dah riff going on, stay well clear) Is ideal for those that don't have enough room for a full size 00 / H0 layout!

Don't ask about the 5" gauge stuff.. That's another story, and alot of flat bar welding in 10 foot sections... Fits anywhere.. Very long back garden.

Not attempted 009 live steam yet... That would be silly! (or very bloody narrow-gauge, to get the (probably) oversize loco to fit on said gauge.) Nothing's impossible, has been done before....

Happy Modelling!
"Awkward thinking".
Krislights

Post by Krislights »

Speaking of scale of track.. I'm about to use up all the old 00 flexitrack rails as 009, and bury them in catlittermash on soldered sleepers. Most of it won't be seen. When I work out the best way to do the changeover from Peco 400 009 crazytrack to the old 00 stuff,, I'll let you know. Time to call up Uncle kieth, Tram expert. Maybe I need to put a tram line on LLandaft, to keep him happy! The only person I know, that can manage to Publish 5 Books on Trolleybus wiring! Now, there's a silly idea! Faller road system and 2 OH wires! Wots a frog? Ribbit! And you thought points were fun!
"Awkward thinking".
Krislights

Post by Krislights »

Stuff all the electronics nonsense, go bigger. You can't beat the smell of a real loco! I'm bordering on the edge of both sides of the see-saw! Really small or really big. NG in 5". 7 & 1/4 is too big for the average sized lathe.Myford ML7, And a 5" NG loco will win, hands down, over any standard gauge nonsense..
"Awkward thinking".