Argyle Road - Reloaded

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mikem64

Argyle Road - Reloaded

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Gents,

Well after waiting for ages I've finally started my new side project called "Argyle Road", this will be a small 48inch x 18inch engine shed layout. This will differ to Wordsworth as first it is for all my DC stock, & for the first time some weathered loco's will feature.

This layout takes up a very small area in our spare bedroom (Daughter & Son-in-law have now got their first house)

My first task was stripping down my test layout "Pitlochry" which has been stored under my bed for years. Quite good fun taking up all the track/points from PVA glued ballast. So after two hours it was time to clean all the points making sure they still worked once the PVA had been chipped away.

The track plan I opted to use is the one from my thread in layouts in planning, added an extra set of points for another siding. The bare baseboard was cleaned enough so I could then lay the new track plan.

All the track has now been nailed into position, then some legs added to the baseboard so it's not on the floor any more.

I'm now ready to start the wiring, the engine shed rails will need isolating so I can stand at least three loco's per track.

OK here we have some photo's.

This is the engine shed area.

Here we are looking down from the other end.

Using some old proto card buildings I'm testing the look & feel for the new project.

General look of what I'm after.

Not sure if I'll use one double shed & one single together, or just replace the single one with a coal loading stage.

I tried my first loco & some weathering using drawing pastels, might have gone a little heavy.

More weathering, the whole shed should look grimey.

I know I have many irons in the fire with the kits, Wordsworth & now Argyle Road but I needed to see my 12v DC stock getting used as over 3 years they've been locked in their boxes in the loft.

I do hope this thread will be of interest to others on this forum,

Until next time,
Mike.
Last edited by mikem64 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/
buz

Re: Argyle Road

Post by buz »

Hi mike
Looks like a good start Is his going to be a separate layout or ultimately part of Wordsworth
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi John,

I'm going for a complete 12v DC stand alone board with this one, I also want to try a few different techniques in layout building if I dare pluck up enough courage, like the hard standing area to be plaster & then painted rather than my normal card approach, I want to move away from the Wordsworth squeaky clean look....Which I still love, but I want to try out dirty & grubby.

So when I've built the sheds I want to have a go with weathering powders to tone things down. I can picture it all in my head just how I want Argyle Road to look but not sure if I've developed enough skill level to get me there.

So for filth & dirt this should be the place to be.....LOL :lol:

Another change for me is this update has no pic's too show.....Boooooooo, will gets some this weekend.

I've soldered all the droppers in place, painted the rail sides a dark rusty black, next task will be wire up the droppers to the main bus & add all the isolation switches.

On my to do list is.

1. New backdrop replacing the country scene, going for brick arches.
2. A small bridge to act as a scenic break leading to some sort of fiddle track/turning device ?
3. Plaster the hard standing area ? Or chicken out & use card.
4. Ground scenic cover, new techniques like hanging basket liners, real static grass (Using my home made applicator) & the usual flock stuff.
5. Real lighting in the engine sheds, & yard lights.
6. Double engine shed, maybe a single engine shed or coaling point (Do I add a diesel point ? :? )

You all know me by now, which order things are done in is decided by what mood I'm in. What I must not do is forget about the main layout Wordsworth as I still have three areas to complete & a new extension which will differ in appearance in that this will be more rural until it reaches a terminus station, so keep a watch full eye on my other thread.

Catch you later,
Mike.
thebritfarmer

Post by thebritfarmer »

You have made some nice progress on this already Mike and I shall follow along with interest.
All Aboooooard !!
ChrisWV10

Post by ChrisWV10 »

Good start Mike and look forward to seeing more. I find doing something new and different (and small!) rekindles my interest in getting on with the main project but I must say, this idea of updates without photos will have to be nipped in the bud I'm afraid ;)

I feel inspiration coming on....

C. :)
buz

Post by buz »

Hi mikem64
Sounds good if it helps I have done plaster in fill before.
It gets a bit messy.
What I did was stick some plastic angle in for the flange ways.
when I mixed up the plaster I added some PVA glue this seems to help prevent cracking.
I also mixed in some primary school type paint add till the color is darker than the finish you want it lightens as it drys.
this means accident chips don't show white.
The drying time will be longer than normal for plaster but it doesn't seem to affect the finished result.
What ever you do keep it out of the flange ways its far harder to remove than straight out plaster,
and for ease of track cleaning make it slightly lower than rail top.
I guess your diesel fuel point if you have one (do you have any black/early green diesel locos?) is going to be a bit
more evolved than mine.
The Aussie bush solution seemed right for my railway so mine is two diesel drums one with a manual drum pump in it.
Or rather it will be when I have a 0.3mm drill to fit the pump to the drum.
That will be near the coal stage I don't have a lot of room to play with.
There are some very nice yard lights available my suggestion would be, try and find the style of yard light you like with the removable base.
Thats what the Loco light on my layout is, very handy when doing scenic work in the area no broken yard lights.
Same thing is available for street lights so thats what I will use.
If they come with a hole plug for when the light is not in place all the better some do some don't.
regards John
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Gents,

Thanks for the comments, really appreciated.

Cheers for the advice John about the plastering, I thought it was a little more simpler. I was going to just cover the whole area I wanted as hard standing with plaster & then run an old wagon with deep flanged wheels to create the wheel grooves....... Take it's not quite as simple as that...... :oops:

How did you hold the plastic strips in place John ? How easy are these to remove once the plaster has dried ?

I feel I left you a little cheated yesterday with no pictures in that last update so I've taken some today just to give a better general idea of what I'm after & also to show off some more of those lovely NON DCC models I have just waiting to jump into action.

Here are all those dropper leads required to power & isolate the track.

Here we see D49 Fitzwilliam heading off the shed area under & behind the scenic break.

A4 Sparrow Hawk taking on coal whilst Mallard uses the run round loop.

Here I'm testing the basket liner approach I've seen used so often, think it will look great.

In this picture we see Class A4 Mallard, class A4 Sparrow Hawk, class V2 Durham light Infantry & class A3 Royal Lancer.

And just for pure fun Sparrow Hawk in a photo edited picture.

Hope these make up for no pictures yesterday.

Catch you all later,
Mike.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Very nice Mike,

Looking at those locos I can understand wanting something to run them on !!
Tell you what - Why did Hornby, in fact still do some, wheel rims in chrome ?

Also a question - Do you think the love birds have really gone ??

Geoff T.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Geoff makes a good point there Mike, they have a habit of wanting to come back for a few days now and then. Then they start bringing little extra ones with them and somewhere down the line you discover you actually enjoy having them around you occasionally. Down size, fat chance. Still you are making a good start on Argyle Road. For a first attempt at weathering that cabside looks darned good. I think, pastels, powders, and light washes with watercolour or acrylics are preferable to permanent spray jobs. After all real grime can be washed off with a bit of effort so emulating it must be a valid approach. Have you tried soot/coal dust and coffee granules? They work quite well. Just leave you with mucky fingers.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Good start, the locos help keep up the interest.

If you have a old Dapol/Airfix kit loco laying around, use that as a testbed for your weathering skills, saves mucking up a more expensive one, once you feel confidant with those old kits then you can move up.

Just a light misting of black paint from an aerosol can,along the top of the boiler and cab, can make a big difference to a pristine loco.

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
buz

Post by buz »

Hi mikem64
The way I did it the plastic strips where not removed they where glued in,
the gap between the plastic strip and the rail forming the flange way.
the plastic strip is on the sleeper with the side up against the plastic lump that holds the rail.
the gap seems to be wide enough to suit most wheels if you have an old piece of track do a test one before going and doing the layout just to make sure the gap is wide enough.
I found the run an old big flange wagon through the plaster method gives patchy results and prone to derailment problems later.
For the outsides of the rails the rail is the former
Bear in mind where plaster infill is used the results are only as good as the care taken with the job and the track will not be salvageable at a later date.
hope this clears things up a bit.
regards John
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Gents,

I know there is that chance........But I've changed the door locks :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you know I must have one of the most understanding wifes in the world, not only do I have the full loft as my play den, but she has let me have this little gem on one condition, it grows no bigger & I can't leave stuff laying about like I do in the loft....Thank you dear.

Anyway back to the work today, started covering that back scene with the first of the brick arches, need another two pieces of MDF fitting & then I can complete the arches.

Can't believe how long it took just for this one 5 foot section, I've got half of it weathered & she doesn't look too bad, as I said Argyle Road is the flip side of Wordsworth.

Will try & do a little more tomorrow, then next weekend I shall spend time on my main layout Wordsworth, think this should be the best approach by sharing my time between them.

Well lets show off these new brick arches.

I'm quite surprised by how much a little change in back scene can change the full aspect of the layout, I'm really looking forward to getting the other two pieces installed & that bridge.

Catch you all later,
Mike.
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Troopers,

Decided to work on one of the new engine shed for Argyle road to replace the dummy test shed being used at present, need these new sheds so I can work out where & how big the hard standing area needs to be.

Not sure why I'm trying to re-invent the wheel when I could just print off & build a Scalescene shed which I already own ? Maybe it's because I want something slightly different ?

Anyway progress has been good, so lets have a quick look, just doing a dry test fit of all the pieces before the big glue.

Still have the roof vents to make, fascia boards, corner covering to hide the raw edges & don't forget that dirt & grime covering everything. I can then build another double shed because I have decided rather than one long shed to have two short sheds on the same track (If this doesn't look right I can always join them together).

Need then to build a similar style shed for the single track.

Layout progressing nicely.

Catch you all later.
Mike.
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hi Troop,

Have been working on the arched walls again, have the one behind the sheds completed & the section which hides the fiddle yard well on it's way. Still have lots to do here as the bridge still needs designing.

Have printed off some sky backscene ready for fitting before the arched way gets glued into place, plus need to complete the weathering, this is easier done on the workbench I've found.

I've started work on the single road engine shed & have the parts cut out for the second double shed.

Once the sheds have been completed I can measure up where the hard standing will go, then it's ballast time. I can then start the greenery which I do like doing.

I still have too sort out what I'm going to do regards the shed isolation switches ?

So lets have a look at the progress.

I think I will run some trains tomorrow as I've not do anything on Wordsworth since 9th June, just need some play time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Catch you all later,
Mike.
HARRYMALLARD

Post by HARRYMALLARD »

Looking good Mike. this will hopefully be what i have always wanted to see: an engine depot layout without any other distractions, where there is lovely detailing :D
My layouts:

Clicky here --> Image
Gasworks Lane micro layout