Hornby locomotive packaging

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren).
GWR_fan

Hornby locomotive packaging

Postby GWR_fan » Thu May 31, 2012 10:54 am

A situation has arisen that I have not encountered previously, in that the stock Hornby factory packaging is merely for shipment only. In my 'normal' scale, the factory packaging is designed so that a locomotive may be easily removed or refitted after use. The advent of 'super detailing' now means that the stock packaging is no longer useful for storage once the detailing packs are added to the locomotive.

I assume that not all leave their locomotives on the rails and resort at some time to storing their possessions. What is the normal storage situation, or do you simply leave the locomotive set up on the railway?

Tim

6C

Re: Hornby locomotive packaging

Postby 6C » Thu May 31, 2012 1:48 pm

You have to hack away at the poly insert - and with the new tender connection - you would have to separate loco and tender - not ideal... :roll:
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

jus

Postby jus » Thu May 31, 2012 6:07 pm

6C wrote:You have to hack away at the poly insert - and with the new tender connection - you would have to separate loco and tender - not ideal... :roll:

Quite a large number of people buy/ build stock boxes.
You can make them from cheap box files, 6 mm ply or mdf and soft fabric, such as felt.

Cut mdf or ply into strips the height of the box and the longest length.

Then glue in place so that the gaps between them are wide enough for your stock, plus a little extra, about 6-9 mm each side.

Cut an mdf piece the same height again, and the width of each gap. Place each loco in the slots you've created, and then glue this new parts in, allowing a little wriggle room, so that the loco won't move too much.

Cover the entire interior in the felt, and the inside of the lid too. The lid catch should still keep the box file closed.
Anything we learn today, may be unlearned tomorrow

Please feel free to visit my layout pages SYVR

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Thu May 31, 2012 10:04 pm

You can get a loco + tender to fit back in the original packaging without uncoupling them with a bit more hacking of the polystyrene.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Thu May 31, 2012 10:21 pm

I suppose many have gone through this scenario previously, but it seems a little forethought in planning could have seen a package designed to both transport the 'undetailed' loco plus provide ongoing storage after the detailing pack is fitted. As it is the only purpose of the packaging is to get the contents to the consumer, hopefully intact. "OO" scale is far more detailed than what I remember, more like the finescale brass models of yesteryear.

Tim

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:24 am

It may not apply over there, but here in Queensland, humidity is a big problem. Several years ago I used some wooden boxes, close fitting and lined with felt to store some of my stock, until a friend noticed mould starting to grow on the felt.

As I say, it might not be an issue for you, but probably worth mentioning.
Pete.

siringe

Postby siringe » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:18 am

G'Day.
I have found the Peco Loco Lifter excelent for my USA. small steam locos,i found a box that fitted them and traveling 35k to my club i have not had any damage and will purchase same for my new UK Steam Locos.They are cheap and verry good.
Regards Terry :D :D :D

kristopher1805

Postby kristopher1805 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:34 am

I keep the original packaging in these plastic storage boxes about 50 litres capacity, locos on rotation either hang around the loco shed or are parked in a red tool wheelie cabinet as the draws are deep enough and the draw has a rubber mat, the locos kept close enough together to stop them falling over, saves opening and closing the packaging all the time

Return to “Hornby - including Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren”