Heljan Lion

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
User avatar
thebritfarmer
Posts: 1490
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:46 pm
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby thebritfarmer » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:47 pm

I am not familiar with this Locomotive does it still exist or was it scrapped?
All Aboooooard !!

User avatar
D605Eagle
Posts: 2598
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 am
Location: Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby D605Eagle » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:12 pm

Only lasted about 18 months. BRCW correctly saw no future in railways and closed up shop and turned their attention to property. Lion was scrapped after stripping it of components. Supposedly its engine still exists in a 47.

User avatar
D306Whistler
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:15 pm
Location: Merseyside. Great Britannia!
Contact:

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby D306Whistler » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:46 pm

I know I am at the back of the train compared to everyone else but I think I going to be indulging in one of these later this month ;).
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

User avatar
D605Eagle
Posts: 2598
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 am
Location: Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:08 pm

D306Whistler wrote:I know I am at the back of the train compared to everyone else but I think I going to be indulging in one of these later this month ;).

Theres a few bargains to be had, hunt about as these haven't sold that well.

User avatar
Phipps
Posts: 1483
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Hellesdon, Norwich, Norfolk

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby Phipps » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:20 pm

A good tip from Eagle there,Whistler.Not a bad model really,but Kestrel,Falcon & the DP1 knock spots off it.

User avatar
D605Eagle
Posts: 2598
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 am
Location: Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:44 pm

Phipps wrote:A good tip from Eagle there,Whistler.Not a bad model really,but Kestrel,Falcon & the DP1 knock spots off it.

I think its it's all white paint job that puts people off more than any shape issues.. Personally I love it, but then I'm odd :lol:

User avatar
thebritfarmer
Posts: 1490
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:46 pm
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Contact:

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby thebritfarmer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:22 pm

D605Eagle wrote:
Phipps wrote:A good tip from Eagle there,Whistler.Not a bad model really,but Kestrel,Falcon & the DP1 knock spots off it.

I think its it's all white paint job that puts people off more than any shape issues.. Personally I love it, but then I'm odd :lol:


I think it is a neat looking beast, trouble is it is the wrong era for my layout and as it was scrapped I can't even use it as preserved.

As there ever been an instance where a locomotive was re-incarnated? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
All Aboooooard !!

User avatar
D306Whistler
Posts: 602
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:15 pm
Location: Merseyside. Great Britannia!
Contact:

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby D306Whistler » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:28 pm

Thanks guys, I am going to snoot about the web for one at a good price. I have a like for unique models and Heljan seem to filling the gaps nicely with these prototypes ;).
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

User avatar
D605Eagle
Posts: 2598
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 am
Location: Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:24 pm

thebritfarmer wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:
Phipps wrote:A good tip from Eagle there,Whistler.Not a bad model really,but Kestrel,Falcon & the DP1 knock spots off it.

I think its it's all white paint job that puts people off more than any shape issues.. Personally I love it, but then I'm odd :lol:


I think it is a neat looking beast, trouble is it is the wrong era for my layout and as it was scrapped I can't even use it as preserved.

As there ever been an instance where a locomotive was re-incarnated? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some guys were on about it been resurected some time ago using its existing engine, but nothing came of it. A baby deltic is in the process of been rebuilt at the moment, but its had several setbacks of late, the reason which cannot be said in public.

User avatar
Metadyneman
Posts: 1117
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:09 am
Location: Portslade-by-Sea East Sussex

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:43 pm

Lion is a lovely model and runs like a dream. My only criticism of it is Heljan seem to have a "wobble" problem with their drive axles. I swapped one wheelset out of one of my original Heljan 47s and it cured what I call the "White Lion Wobble" but my Baby Deltic suffers the same problem. It's not noticeable at speed but it does detract from what is a superb model. The white livery is correct in every way even down to cleanliness. Lion had just about everything painted white and because it was a "show" loco they tried desperately to keep it all spotlessly clean. If weathering is to be considered I would suggest only the faintest hint of dirt around the bogies to bring up the relief of the excellently moulded examples and perhaps a nano dose of a "graphitey" dust over the body to do the same without making it look dirty.

Definitely a loco to buy D306whistler, mine looks stunning hauling a rake of maroon Mk1s round the garden.

Jules (Chief Mechanical Engineer, General Manager, shed master, driver, fireman, guard, signalman, porter, organiser and oily rag of Jules's garden Railway!)
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

User avatar
D605Eagle
Posts: 2598
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 am
Location: Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:25 pm

Metadyneman wrote:Lion is a lovely model and runs like a dream. My only criticism of it is Heljan seem to have a "wobble" problem with their drive axles. I swapped one wheelset out of one of my original Heljan 47s and it cured what I call the "White Lion Wobble" but my Baby Deltic suffers the same problem.

Do you think a set of class 47 replacement wheels from Howes will cure this? Mine wobbles a bit and its bloomin annoying! :?

User avatar
Phipps
Posts: 1483
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Hellesdon, Norwich, Norfolk

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby Phipps » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:04 am

thebritfarmer wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:
Phipps wrote:A good tip from Eagle there,Whistler.Not a bad model really,but Kestrel,Falcon & the DP1 knock spots off it.

I think its it's all white paint job that puts people off more than any shape issues.. Personally I love it, but then I'm odd :lol:


I think it is a neat looking beast, trouble is it is the wrong era for my layout and as it was scrapped I can't even use it as preserved.

As there ever been an instance where a locomotive was re-incarnated? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

If I were you,do what I'm proposing & that is to have a "replica" D0260 Lion that was converted from a Class 47 & have that running on a preserved line.That's how I'm intending to use my model of the locomotive :wink:

User avatar
SRman
Posts: 930
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:26 am

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby SRman » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:28 pm

I have a Heljan Lion too, even though it doesn't fit my usual location or periods. I was also given a brass conversion for Lion, intended to be used on a Hornby class 47. I thought that if I do eventually do this conversion, I'll do it as a might-have-been production version, finsihed in two tone green with small yellow panels and possibly a different name (Tiger??).

While we try to 'justify' stray models, it is down to "It's my layout and I'll run what I like, not what other people say I can or cannot run." :)

User avatar
Phipps
Posts: 1483
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:42 pm
Location: Hellesdon, Norwich, Norfolk

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby Phipps » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:51 pm

Have a resin bodyshell to put on a Hornby chassis.Only problem came when spraying.I primed it first(used Halfords plastic primer),only for the Humbrol 34 white acrylic(applied after),to crack like an intricate spider's web all over.
Need to completely strip it & paint again.

Anyway,as SR Man points out,your railway so you can always come up with a solution & scenario that justifies.Mine's usually something being saved or preservation/resoration at a later date.

User avatar
D605Eagle
Posts: 2598
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:58 am
Location: Staffordshire
Contact:

Re: Heljan Lion

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:47 pm

Phipps wrote:Have a resin bodyshell to put on a Hornby chassis.Only problem came when spraying.I primed it first(used Halfords plastic primer),only for the Humbrol 34 white acrylic(applied after),to crack like an intricate spider's web all over.
Need to completely strip it & paint again.

Anyway,as SR Man points out,your railway so you can always come up with a solution & scenario that justifies.Mine's usually something being saved or preservation/resoration at a later date.

When you have stripped it clean, just use bogo standard primer, not the plastic type. That stuff is especially made for smooth unabsorbant plastics like bumpers so that paint will stick to it. A resin cast body is anything other than unabsorbant!


Return to “Heljan”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 0 guests