Hornby Pannier Tank

Discuss Hornby Model Railway products and related topics here. This includes (Lima, Rivarossi, Jouef, Electrotren and Oxford Rail).
Bushey Troughs

Re: Hornby Pannier Tank

Post by Bushey Troughs »

It runs fine, though I've never put that many wagons behind it. With no traction tyres and the lump of an XO4 motor weighing it down pulling shouldn't be a problem. It's very garish and I don't think it would fit in with the rest of the (planned) layout.

I bought it off ebay, for not much money. It appeared to be un-run, there was no wear on the motor brushes, pick-ups or crown wheel. It looks as though someone took it from the set and just left it in a box. Which is what I intend to do with it.
COLIN.
“What experience and history teaches us is that people and governments have never learned anything from history, or acted on principles deduced from it”

roadie stu

Post by roadie stu »

This is my Hornby Pannier from the 1970's

I had to buy a new chassis for it a few years ago as the original chassis stopped working, i sent it away for repair but was told it wasn't worth repairing

it runs really well, and pulls well (pulls my 5 collett coaches and 5 Hornby composites with no problems at a fair old speed!!)

My Hornby 2771 could only manage 5 colletts (when it was running), and my Bachmann Pannier matches the 70's pannier for haulage

Hope this Helps

Stu
If You Can't Fix It With A Hammer......You've Got An Electrical Fault
siringe

Post by siringe »

Thanks Stu.
I will probably buy one ,love the open cab.
Regards Terry. :roll: :D :D
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

Recently sent my old "8751" away to Leader for an overhaul.I'm keeping it for use on the volunteers layout(along with an R855 Scotty),where the rails are cleaned twice daily.
6C

Post by 6C »

All my hornby panniers (3) have the later Jinty type chassis -with the double locating lugs on the front as they are all from the cabless era...

I have often wondered if they could be used under a superdetailed '8751' type body - whose chassis seems reversed - i.e. the double locating lugs at the back instead ?

Also what is the likelihood of Hornby then changing the chassis and re-introducing the 8751 !
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!
Splop.

Post by Splop. »

Bumping this thread because I have a query - hope you don't mind.

I have a Hornby pannier tank (2771) and was wondering what exactly I could do to improve it? I already know that Bachmanns offering is superior, but as I only got it for 15 quid, I thought I'd attempt to "do it up" so to speak.

Thanks.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

First thing to do to the pannier chassis is make sure all drive wheels that have pickups are actually picking up power. I purchased several new spare 0-6-0 'latest' model Chinese chassis and they picked up power on one wheel only (one wheel out of six wheel pickups, so much for quality control). A lot of fiddling and I had them picking up on all pickups. My best open cab pannier is a Margate made model with the horrid traction tyres. It simply runs as smooth as silk.

Tim
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

With reference to previous posting, I actually meant one axle power pickup only. The other two axles were dead.

Tim
Splop.

Post by Splop. »

Ah. mine has traction tires AND is Chineese. :(
Splop.

Post by Splop. »

Just another friendly bump, but has anybody decided to chip one of these? I got mine done this week and it's responded beautifully, with no jerking at all at a speed so slow it didn't even register on my controller.

May not be the best detailed, but the mechanism's pretty damn good (If a little noisy). 8)
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

My 8571 is a beauty,now that it's had the "Leader" treatment.
The 2771 I've let Alfie keep & after a regular oiling,works fine(though not as well as the older one).