IS THIS A BACHMANN PEAK OR HAVE I BEEN ADD

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
theunborn

IS THIS A BACHMANN PEAK OR HAVE I BEEN ADD

Postby theunborn » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:24 am

Hi i brought this off ebay listed has a bachmann class 45 it runs crappy and clicks like mad (is this split gears) it does have bachmann on underside of fuel tanks but it looks like mainline pancake and bogies to me,were early bachmann loco's like this ive had bachmann peaks before but not like this the body looks like replica so have i been add :roll: with a bitsa loco :(

cheers

Zunnan

Re: IS THIS A BACHMANN PEAK OR HAVE I BEEN ADD

Postby Zunnan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:28 pm

If I recall the Replica releases may have carried Bachmann branding, they were afterall manufactured for Replica by Bachmann using the Mainline tooling, so if the box is long lost the only reference is the stamp on the chassis. I believe the very earliest Bachmann Peaks may also have used the old motor arrangement, but they were fairly quick to change to a central can motor 8 wheel drive chassis. Its only in recent years that a complete retool has occurred.

theunborn

Postby theunborn » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Zunnan wrote:If I recall the Replica releases may have carried Bachmann branding, they were afterall manufactured for Replica by Bachmann using the Mainline tooling, so if the box is long lost the only reference is the stamp on the chassis. I believe the very earliest Bachmann Peaks may also have used the old motor arrangement, but they were fairly quick to change to a central can motor 8 wheel drive chassis. Its only in recent years that a complete retool has occurred.

Hi thanxs for the info the stamp underneath says bachmann made in hong kong also one of the bogies is a browny colour the other black oh and 2 of the gears have now fell out broken in half :roll: another ebay bargin.

cheers

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:32 pm

You might want to ask Bachmann; I am pretty sure their model sold in a Bachmann box had the all new centre motor mechanism at first release. Trouble here is that Bachmann name stamp on the underside, which was in evidence on a lot of Replica, and completely muddies the water. Without the original box, what it says on the bottom is the sole manufacturer identification.

If it was sold as a runner but was immediately faulty when tested on receipt, I would go for a refund as a dud mechanism, without even worrying about the maker origin.

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:49 pm

Kader (later, Bachmann) produced the following ex Mainline Class 45 for Replica Railways in 1989 using a updated version of the Mainline pancake motor.
BR Green
11502 1989 45 106

BR Blue
11501 1989 45 128

Unpainted
11501U 1989 Unpainted.

Bachmann later released a Class 46 in 1994 with the central can drive motor. They further released a Class 45 in 2002, but using the same style of 8 wheel bogie as the original Mainline model.
BR Blue
31-075; 1994-96; 46 026 Leicestershire & Derbyshire Yeomanry
31-076; 1994-95; 46 045
31-078; 1996-99; D181

31-126: 2002: 45 114
BR Green
31-081; 2002; D163 Leicestershire & Derbyshire Yeomanry

It is also possible to replace the Bachmann body with the earlier Mainline body.

If the motor is producing a clicking sound when running, then you have split drive gears on the axles.
Contact Replica Railways, as they still have replacment gears listed on their website.
http://www.replicarailways.co.uk/home
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:42 am

If one of the drive bogies is in brown plastic and the other in black, that says to me you have been sold a pig in a poke! The Palitoy Mainline model had brown bogies for the blue peak and black ones for the green. I believe replica also did the bogie in brown but the bachmann version has always been produced in black. What seems to have happened here is someone has palmed you off with a dud and i really hope you didn't pay too much for it. As K9-70 has said you can get replacement gears from Replica but my insinct would be to send it back to the seller as unfit for purpose not as described and claim your money back off Paypal
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

iankemp

Postby iankemp » Wed May 02, 2012 12:35 am

What has it got on the battery box underneath? If it is a Bachmann then you have got a early version of it as the others has said. The clacking noise is a missaligned gear. Having got a few of these in my fleet i have an idea what they have done. They look to have taken the coupling hook off with the intention of to make it look more like the loco. You can buy these buffer beam detailing from Craftsman.co.uk. They look alot better with that on the chassis.

Return to “Bachmann”