Coach Identification on King Edward 1

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Jimmy77

Coach Identification on King Edward 1

Post by Jimmy77 »

Afternoon all,

Sat at work at the moment, 3rd floor office window next to the track overlooking the lines into Paddington near Hayes. Saw the Northern Belle Class 47 go past, and then just a moment ago the King Edward 1st. At the rear of the train was a dark navy blue Mk2 composite coach, with what seemed like a diesel engine installed, belching out some fumes. Just wondering if this was just a generator van for the electrics or whether it has any motive power also.

Cheers,

James
My N gauge layout in the workshop
Layout
roadie stu

Re: Coach Identification on King Edward 1

Post by roadie stu »

Hi James

the coach has a diesel generator to provide lighting and electric train heating, there are a few knocking around in different liveries

Hope this helps

Cheers

Stu
If You Can't Fix It With A Hammer......You've Got An Electrical Fault
Jimmy77

Post by Jimmy77 »

Thanks Stu,

Its just trundled past again going back out now to wherever...

Its this one: http://www.railphotoarchive.org/rpc_zoo ... 7021861000

Cheers,

Jimmy
My N gauge layout in the workshop
Layout
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Chiltern is having similar generators installed in its DVTs so that the 67s can be shut down, or released for other work and still have power to the carriages whilst they are standing. If a tour is going be steam hauled and there is on-board catering, one will be needed not only for lights/heating but also to keep the kitchen car going. They are the modern replacement for ETHELs which were just locos with their traction motors removed and cabs plated over. ETHEL = Electric Train Heating Ex Locomotve. By comparison the vans look like a properly carried out conversion.
John W
aka Bufferstop
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
roadie stu

Post by roadie stu »

I remember the ETHEL's from the railtours out of Marylebone during the 1980's (curse of photographers at the time!!)

they could have done with one of those coaches on the Cathedrals Express 6024 hauled on 12/02....... apparently they had no heating all day and some coaches had no power for the lighting

Cheers

Stu
If You Can't Fix It With A Hammer......You've Got An Electrical Fault