My W.A.G.R layout- picture update dapol B17

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Stewart Gethin

Re: My W.A.G.R layout in N scale - grades?

Post by Stewart Gethin »

perhaps, add various Weights to the carts gradually? As then, when the wheels start spinning you know how much weight each loco can haul up the grade.

Hope this helps

Stew.
Timmy33

Post by Timmy33 »

Ill definatly give that a shot, couple of fishing sinkers per wagon should work :)
buz

Post by buz »

Hi timmy33
You should try and keep your grades at the least possible steepness
Given its the line up through John Forrest park I would think 3 or 4% would be fine,
this is considered to be very steep but should still allow 15 wagon trains 4% might mean double heading.
Just in case I have lost you that means a rise of 3 or 4mm for every 100mm of linear travel.
As always test before fixing in place
There are a few sneaky scenic tricks that can be pulled later to get the steep rugged look.
Just wish I could put my finger on which WAGR loco the Jap one reminds me of.
Your track bed seems a bit narrow, you need a bit of overhang so you have some where to
attach scenery to.
There is also usually just enough room to be able to walk down the side of the track on
the formation for maintenance purposes as well.
Not forgetting some ground to plant signals and track side signs as well.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished
Timmy33

Post by Timmy33 »

It reminds me alot of the V and S class, its a 2-8-2 like the V but the dome reminds me of the s class boiler cowling. I was planning to use the track bed just to run the rail on then I can build the scenery off the sides and place signals and such on hills and such, nothings set in concrete yet but its all new to me haha good fun learning. Made my very first tree ever today, think its turned out better than I could of hoped for :lol:
Timmy33

Post by Timmy33 »

Thought id post my best work ive done yet, quiet proud of this one. I think it looks the real deal :)
2012-02-27 09.18.10.jpg
2012-02-27 09.18.10.jpg (100.21 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
murray

Post by murray »

i too live in the hills i have a model of the old er line that goes from the steel bridge in john forrest national park all the way to Parkerville i model in sn3 1/2
Timmy33

Post by Timmy33 »

I have visited the sn 3.5 blog site numerous times, its what inspired me to give moddeling the W.A.G.R a shot. Theres some beautiful scratch built loco's on there :D
buz

Post by buz »

Hi timmy33
Those trees look pretty good.
:wink: But salmon gums are from my neck of the woods :D .
I too have seen the Sn31/2 very impressive
But I was never able to cut into a perfectly good loco to start one may be one day i will try the beginers kit if it is still avalable.
I am pretty sure I have seen "N" scale Kangaroo's and Emus as white metal castings.
regards John
A model railway can be completed but it's never finished
Timmy33

Post by Timmy33 »

Cheers buz, really happy with how things are coming together at the moment, but tommorow I fly back to the mine site so nothing will be done on the layout for almost 2 weeks. Just built my first kit, turned out well considering I newer constructed one before. Pretty happy with my paint job to have not decided on a colour for the doors yet
Also, today was pay day so I have another loco ordered should be here when I get back 8)
Any opinions are welcome as always, Regards Tim
Timmy33

Post by Timmy33 »

I want to get a DCC controller, what would you guys recomend up to about 350Aussie dollars (say about 290 to 300 uk pounds I think) I better get a start on DCC soon or ill get to the point where I have to many non Dcc trains for it to be worth the switch.
Regards: Tim
Timmy33

Re: My W.A.G.R layout in N scale - your thoughts on DCC?

Post by Timmy33 »

Have been reading through the topics on the DCC forum, and its blowing my mind haha but still have to learn it sometime I guess. Im thinking a digitrax super chief will be a worth while investment, would hate to buy a cheapie then have to buy something better because im not happy with it? What do you guys think? I heard positive things about this set but its a fair whack of cash so I want to be sure on it...
Thanks in advance
Timmy33

Post by Timmy33 »

Juat a small update. Have got the shed mostly clean and the years of leave's that had built up in it are gone, newest trains arrived as have my tracksetta's and xuron track cutters. Didnt get to do any track woek this break but now I can move in the shed with out climbing over stuff I should be able to get some more laid soon.
Happy moddeling and thanks for looking
Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Timmy33 wrote:Have been reading through the topics on the DCC forum, and its blowing my mind haha but still have to learn it sometime I guess. Im thinking a digitrax super chief will be a worth while investment, would hate to buy a cheapie then have to buy something better because im not happy with it? What do you guys think? I heard positive things about this set but its a fair whack of cash so I want to be sure on it...
Thanks in advance
Go for the Supercheif and you can upgrade it with bossters, controllers etc as you layout expands
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
markh

Post by markh »

looks a good layout timmy33 i'll keep watching this one & i must say the tree looks excellent

mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS
Timmy33

Re: My W.A.G.R layout in N scale - the latest addition :)

Post by Timmy33 »

My newest train, waiting to some day be modified into P 507
What you guys think? I recon shes a beaut :)
Regards Tim