Swapping Hornby points for Peco.

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
irishthump

Swapping Hornby points for Peco.

Postby irishthump » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Guys,

I'm looking at possibly changing from Hornby to Peco points due to derailing issues. I gather hornby points are known for this!
Are Peco Setrack and Hornby points pretty much interchangable? Are there any difference in sizes?

My layout is DCC and I want to stick with insulating points as I have no issues with power loss over points.

Ark Royal

Re: Swapping Hornby points for Peco.

Postby Ark Royal » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:07 pm

there is an artical on this on the main site

link: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/track%20layout.htm

scroll about half way down, and the section is called "problems changing from Hornby standard points to Peco standard Points

Hope this Helps

Chris
If you have found the above helpful, please read my layout thread and offer a comment
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=36868
Chris
Aka Ark Royal Aka HMS Ark Royal V (on other forums)

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sat Feb 18, 2012 6:20 pm

You can see the sizes by going to:

http://www.peco-uk.com/page.asp?id=pointplans

It can help to make cardboard templates so you can see how it all fits together (or not!).

whistlehead

Postby whistlehead » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:50 am

Hornby points and PECO Setrack points, aside from the curved ones, share the same geometry. In my experience, the PECO points are nearly always better - they have smaller frogs and are a very slightly wider radius, along with deeper grooves for wheel flanges - useful if you're using old rolling stock.

If money is no object, I'd switch. In fact, I am switching for my current layout.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:11 pm

I've always preferred Peco, but I've been having trouble with some locos and Peco Settrack curved points. I think the latest improved Hornby curved points might be worth a try alongide, or instead of, the Peco ones.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun May 20, 2012 11:06 am

Thought I'd update my last post in case it helps anyone :)

I've recently replaced a Peco Settrack curved point with the latest Hornby equivalent. My Peco one seemed to be rather "kinky" which was causing some locos to struggle, lift slightly and cut out. All my Peco settrack curved points seem slightly kinky and have problem with some locos, but this particular point was worse than the others.

The problem now seems to have been cured with the new Hornby point, as the curve seems smoother and more consistent. The Hornby points also have longer checkrails which appears to help. Hornby's contacts don't move with the blades like the Peco ones and seem less likely to be fouled by loose bits of ballast, although the Hornby spring seems weaker and is not replacable. So far so good...
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

irishthump

Postby irishthump » Thu May 24, 2012 3:48 pm

Thanks for all the info guys,

I found that many of my problems were due to track not being layed flat rather than the points themselves!
I installed some 6mm foam underlay which smoothed the uneven spots at the track joins, and I now have a roughly 50/50 mix of Hornby and Peco points and very few problems with either make.
I did have to ditch one Peco point completely; I picked up a Stremline Insulfrog point by accident and have been having problems with short circuits at the frog. Some of my older Lima coaches' wheels were bridging the 2 rails at the frog even though it's insulfrog because of the lesser curve on the point.. (I electrically bond the stock and switch rails on my points as I'm running DCC.)
Rather than putting on insulating fishplates I think I will just change it for a Settrack point.

kristopher1805

Postby kristopher1805 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:45 am

I have about 100 points on my layout, generally the Hornby has a better spring, Peco points start fine but quickly loose tension and self centre which can still be ok if trailing but is a pain otherwise.

I agree with the above, in terms of the Setrack curved point this is more bother than the Hornby version which seems to be more consistant, I also now have a couple of the Bachmann version and this is better still as the track is longer and therefore more chance to get it right, according to Peco they have no problems despite my suggesting to them there is an issue where the rail is bent at the cutout for the moving point blade, they will supply foc any number of springs but I am ham fisted when trying to change them.

Again Peco have a problem with creep, when the insulfrog is bridged by a coach esp some such as Lima siphon vans, (seems hit and miss) and this afflicts most of the Peco range but erratic as to which vehicle and point.

In order to boost reliability of running I have almost removed all the Setrack curved points, all the Hornby points except some curved ones and used a lot more SL91/2 Peco short length streamline 12 degree points, I also removed some unused junctions, used a few more streamline curved points and replaced about 20 metres of older track and used about 100 new rail joiners.

It runs pretty good now!

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Peco setrack and hornby use the same geometry for their standard 'straight' points and for the Y point. The curved points differ slightly so may not be interchangeable without some work. (Unfortunately) you don't get a choice between live/dead frog in this case as setrack is only available with dead frogs.

What sort of derailing issues are you getting? If it's only affecting certain items of stock, check the wheel's back-to-back spacing before you start pulling up the trackwork.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Return to “Track/Layout Design”