ALMOST FREE SCATTER!!!

Having a problem making your model railway layout look real. Post questions and share the results of your model railway scenery here.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

ALMOST FREE SCATTER!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:17 am

i had been looking around for a cheap and easy way to carpet my entire (rather large) layout with grass without having to buy all that expensive scatter. i had read about using sawdust but i didn't know a carpenter so i set about finding a way to do it. I discovered that sand worked pretty well as sand and for grass. for grass all you need to do is collect some sand, dry it, sieve it to get rid of any lumps, and glue it on you baseboard. a good idea is to paint it the colour you want before hand. then when the sand is dry paint another coat of your colour on and hey presto, you have grass! :D i'll try and get some pictures of it but could be difficult as
A) can't find camera
B) haven't had time to do layout yet so just have mini test bits

hope this works for other people, it certainly did me :)
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

Andrew S Harvey

Re: ALMOST FREE SCATTER!!!

Postby Andrew S Harvey » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:28 am

Good idea! If you go to a florist and ask for the dry oasis that flowers push in to you should get a brick sized piece for about £1.50. I picked up two in Otley, one olive green and one a lighter green. They crumble up easily and you get loads!

Andrew

johnco

Postby johnco » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Sawdust, PVA, water and various shades of green acrylic paint work for me.
Get a plastic bag, quater fill it with sawdust (I get mine free from a local timber merchant B&Q were'nt interested in my request for some) pour in a good dollop of PVA and an equal amount of water with a dash of cheapo washing up liquid and a goodly dollop of paint, tie the end of the bag and knead it until thoroughly mixed. You may need to add a little more PVA and water to make it a bit more gloopy.
Paint the surface to be grassed with undiluted PVA, leave for about a quater of an hour and spread the mixture as you wish with a pallet knife or spatula. Leave to dry, in summer 24 hours is enough, in winter anything up to a week (depends on heating , ventilation and humidity/dampness).
Some times when it has dried another coat of diluted PVA mixed with acrylic paint may be required.
If you don't like the finished result you can always go over it with static fibre grass.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:56 am

Sawdust method...

Get it from any DIY/Wood place in your local area...

Sieve it using a fine sieve to get the best bits...

Go to your local shop that sells cloth, etc., and buy a few different green clothing dyes...

Dye sawdust...

Hey presto, cheap grass!

That's the old method, still as valid now as it was 100 years ago, and still as cheap! :mrgreen:

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:29 am

still sounds to much of a faff to me, besides, i don't know any carpenters :(

RFS

Postby RFS » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:17 pm

Robert Smith

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:21 pm

No more of a faff than any other method, just buy the stuff if you can't be bothered! As regards carpenters, I think you'll find several of us referred you to the DIY places, I'd be surprised if there isn't one near you... The sieving gives you a better looking grass btw, if you don't sieve than you'll have unrealistic grass, same as you are doing with your sand method!

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:07 pm

i'll have you know my sand method is very good, i sieve that too :evil: :evil: :evil:

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:51 am

I know you do, and I said so in my last post! :wink:

I, too, used the sand method many years ago, it works well and only really has one drawback, that you end up with the same colour for the whole area. Using dyed sawdust allows you to vary the colours. I'd suggest that a combination of both is a good way forward (and cheap!)... Use your method as a base and then dyed sawdust to vary the colours?

(PS I'm not criticizing you, FS, I'm just making suggestions to improve the look whilst keeping to your original post of keeping the costs down!)

beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Postby beeman » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:53 am

Re B308 sawdust suggestions I had a bag some 30 years old, and when rekindling my hobby interest and wanting to scenic the layout checked the Dylon dyes again,used all those years back, and was shocked at the price of them, Ouch, cheaper to buy the ready made item. Although have used the old variety for some of the trees. Beeman.
Last edited by beeman on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

flying scotsman123

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:47 pm

b308 wrote:(PS I'm not criticizing you, FS, I'm just making suggestions to improve the look whilst keeping to your original post of keeping the costs down!)

i know, i'm only joking :mrgreen:

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:34 am

Ok! :mrgreen:

Return to “Scenery”