clunking sound? 57xx HELP

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
George Stein

clunking sound? 57xx HELP

Post by George Stein »

Just received (from Hattons to USA) the Bachmann 57xx. Beautiful looking loco. Before removing it fully from plastic frame, noticed a "clunking" sound when rocking back & forth [fore & aft] as if something large & solid is loose inside loco. Looking at instruction sheet, can't imagine what it is. So, before I try to disassemble the loco: (1) any suggestions as to what I'm looking for or likely to find or (2) should I mail it back to Hattons? (Air mail is expensive.) Anyone else have this "issue?" How do I disassemble this loco without breaking something?
Bigmet

Re: clunking sound? 57xx HELP

Post by Bigmet »

It's a very simple construction to take a look inside. Invert the model and put a slim blade under the coupler pockets to lift these out. The body fixing screws are the two small crossheads concealed under these, one each end; with these removed the body just lifts off the chassis. It is pretty chock full of metal inside, other than the cab space, never had a 'clunk' of any sort on the two I have used.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

I'd be interested to know what this is. Other possiably the motor flapping about, theres next to no room for anything to move!
George Stein

Post by George Stein »

I've air-mailed it back to Hattons. They said if I opened it the warranty would be voided. I'll let you know if I get any info.
George Stein

Post by George Stein »

According to Hattons: "Having had a look at the model, it appears the fault is a loose weight inside the loco. The mechanisms all appear to be in working order, but this weight is loose, causing a lack of balance when running the loco." They will send replacement when a new shipment arrives from Bachmann. Hope that isn't too long.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Don't be surprised if the new one develops the same problem whilst being airfreighted. The sheer weight of a large consignment helps reduce the likely hood of individual items suffering a hard shock. A small package is more likely to be tossed into bags or sorting bins. Just open it carefully and secure the weight with a dab of something sticky (Not superglue or solvent adhesive.) If there's anything inside that you are likely to have to access taking the top off can't invalidate you warranty if you proceed carefully and follow any instruction for access for maintenance.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
roadie stu

Post by roadie stu »

I had the same problem with the body weight in my BR liveried 57xx, a small strip of double sided tape sorted the problem out, I aslo did the same when I got my spare GW liveried body

Hope this helps

Stu
If You Can't Fix It With A Hammer......You've Got An Electrical Fault
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

My 2251 Rattles if turned upside down, no problem when it's sitting right way up, so it can wait (weight?) until I need to take the body off.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions