Poole farish Class 158 shell/China made chassis?

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
maslin4863

Poole farish Class 158 shell/China made chassis?

Postby maslin4863 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:51 pm

Hi everyone, apologoes if this is in the wrong section but does anyone know if it is possible to mount a poole built Class 158 body onto the newer Bachamnn Farish Class 158 Chassis as I got a Regional Railways Class 158 in regional Railways livery but have had dramas with it from split gears to now the springs being useless, and i dont want to wait upto 14 weeks for it to be repaired so am trying to see if moving the body onto the newer chassis will work, or if it wont fit at all? so i am hoping someone else has tried this and give me advice before i throw another £95 away without getting into trouble with the missus!!!!

I have been advised that it is possible with modifications to the inside of the roof of the shell, has anyone ever done this?

Many thanks

John

Grahame

Re: Poole farish Class 158 shell/China made chassis?

Postby Grahame » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:24 am

Yep, quite possible. You need to cut a rectangle out of the internal ceiling of the motor coach to accommodate the top of new chassis block. But it's easy and I've done it successfully with an old Poole class 159 body now running on a new Chinese Bachmann 158 motor chassis.

G.

maslin4863

Postby maslin4863 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:11 pm

grahame,

how much roofspace is needed to be removed

john

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:43 pm

I've done this on several of my 158s.
You do actually need to take a lot out, and trim very close to the sides too.

Basically you must leave no more than 11mm on each end, so a hole about 125mm long, and completely full-width (flush to the windows)!
I cut along the length with a very sharp scalpel, using a slight sawing action - be VERY VERY careful though, as scalpels are designed to cut flesh and thus do so very efficiently!!!

The good news is that the China chassis is very slightly narrower than the body, so fits, with perhaps a little masking tape as packing to give a snug fit.
They do run much quieter, and the smaller flanged, darker wheels also make a difference.

Good luck
Alan

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:52 pm

I ought to mention that taking all of the roof away leaves absolutely no sideward strength, hence the need to be especially careful when you cut the second side.
Maybe try clamping the side between two pieces of wood (covered in tissue paper to protect the paint) to keep it rigid as you cut, although leave enough depth for the blade.

Any other alternative (and safer!) techniques anyone?

Alan

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”