The Strogaloft - Construction Begins... Again!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DrStroganoff

Re: The Strogaloft - Construction Begins... Again!

Post by DrStroganoff »

Evening all.. Just a bit of a photo update.. Have had an hour up the loft tonight... have re-programmed the 47 (acceleration/deceleration etc..) so now it is running very sweetly (but still in the wrong direction!)

For some reason, my rake of MK2's have decided they no longer wish to stay on the track... jumping the rails at every opportunity... shame as the rake is now up to 8. Might have to invest in a few packs of wheels.

I've taken the decoder out of the Class 25, so it is out of action at the moment. It didnt like that 8 pin decoder/adapter, so I just took it out and will wait to get a 21 pin.

Anyway, a few pics:

thebritfarmer

Post by thebritfarmer »

That is a smart looking loco!!! and a nice addition to the fleet. Did you pick up some of the new Hornby MK2's ?
All Aboooooard !!
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

Hi thebritfarmer

I am fancying some of the new mk2's, I could mix a few in with my blue/grey rake.

In the photos the 47 is hauling a single Replica MK1 coach, because the MK2's werent playing ball. :x
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

if your coaches are jumping the track, trying turning the coaches around and rearranging the rake, sounds silly, but it (sometimes) works :) trust me I'm an expert on this, well, with the amount of experience of derailing coaches I've had, I should be :lol: If you're still having problems, get an old plastic wheel set and compare them to the ones on the coaches, move the wheels if any are to close or too far apart :)

hth

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

Hi guys. I'm having a rather frustrating day with the ol' trains.

Yesterday I got a Hornby Sapphire Decoder to go in the Bachmann Class 25 as I had taken out the 8 pin + adapter arrangement.... I was disapointed to see that it is still very noisy, jerky, and just a bit crazy. A couple of times during testing, it has rolled to a stop, changed direction, started up, then stopped and reverted to the original direction! Slow speed running is non-existent, have to keep tapping it along with me finger.

Next step I thought, give the wheels a damn good cleaning. As it is a weathered model, I thought maybe some stray paint had got into the pickups or something... This made no difference to the running. (I should mention that the track has had a thorough cleaning too).

Next, I figured I would take the Bachmann Decoder out of the class 47 and try that... Took me bloomin ages to get the body off the 47... And still no joy.

I have now removed the decoder, and it is sitting in its box. I'm thinking I will take it back tomorrow and see if I can get a replacement. :(

I hate taking things back to shops... Especially as I bought it a fortnight ago and havent really tested it until today.

Oh well, I guess I better crack on with some ballasting if the loco is out of action!
nickbrad

Post by nickbrad »

That's definitely a dodgy loco, you've done everything you can to make sure it's not something simple and I can't see why the shop should argue with replacing it. Unfortunately these things sometimes happen and all you can do is take it back.
thebritfarmer

Post by thebritfarmer »

Have you tried the sapphire decoder in another loco? or different decoder in the 25?
All Aboooooard !!
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

Hi guys.

thebritfarmer, yes I have also tried a Bachmann decoder in the 25 to no avail. (The one that was taken out of the 47).

Basically I've tried 3 decoders in the 25, all with the same results.
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

Evening chaps.

Really hacked off with the layout at the minute.

I went and got a replacement for the Class 25 last weekend, got around to running it in and chipping it yesterday. On initial testing in the loft, it ran really well, much quieter and more responsive than the first one.

Then I decided to get the Class 47 out for a run. Started fine for a few minutes, then started getting really jerky. It would lose power, roll on a bit, regain power etc... just very erratic behaviour. Eventually the loco came to a stop altogether. And then the Class 25 started behaving exactly the same !

So I thought maybe the controller was playing up, checked the connections etc... Still the same running issues. Then I gave Kestrel a run, and it ran perfectly. I would have thought Kestrel would have the highest draw of current out of the 3 locos.

So now I am stumped. My old loco, Kestrel, runs fine... but my new locos are behaving very strangely indeed... Dont know what to do really, gave the track a thorough cleaning, and the loco wheels. There are plenty of dropper wires to the power bus, so there shouldnt be a drop in power anywhere, but the Bachy locos seem to be very inconsistent/erratic.

I wonder if the sudden coldness is a factor here?

Try again next weekend I guess. :(
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

Afternoon gents.

Well since my last post, I've had a good few running sessions. So the running problems seem to have sorted themselves out for now... I think it must have been down to the coldness on that particular weekend.

Anyway, this week I've splashed out on a Hornby HST in BR blue/grey livery. Have given it a good 3 hours running in today, and it is a very nice runner indeed.

My problem now is, how do I explain to the wife that I need a rake of MK3's to go with it ? :roll:

Layout-wise, I'm still plodding along with the ballasting around the station area. Little by little.

A few snaps...

gg8tcw

Post by gg8tcw »

Really like the HST on this layout, it's looking very good indeed. I too am finding this to be a fascinating and rewarding hobby on one day and then for no obvious reason the most frustrating hobby on another day! Still, it seams that your perseverance has paid off. :)
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

Evening chaps.

Nothing major has been happening on the layout over the last month, have had a few good running sessions though!

The other day I found some plastic billboards, so today I decided to put some of my favourite 80's movie posters on them!
(Apologies for the grainy photos)

Commando

Ghostbusters

The 25 has been having a good run today

Had a little Christmas bonus in work yesterday, and I'm trying to decide whether to invest in a new loco, or a new rake of some kind of freight stock... hmmmmm

Hope you all have a good Christmas.
poindexter

Post by poindexter »

Nice layout mate. and as impulse buys go, that 47 was a good one!
My unprototypical, learning curve, playfest:

Stockton Road TMD

Millfield. Helix building
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

Thanks Poindexter... yes I'm well pleased with the 47. :D

Well today has been frustrating... went for a jolly to B&Q earlier, to spend my Xmas voucher. While I was there, I spotted these 'link and light' fluorescent tube lights that looked perfect for the loft. Got them home, one didnt work, so went straight back and got a replacement. Once I actually got them in the loft, I realised the link-leads were just over a foot long... not long enough.. but I proceeded to fix up some wooden baton to screw them to... Got one up, and then when fitting the bulb in the 2nd, the end of the bulb just crumbled away, *sigh*, so back to B&Q tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm well impressed with the one light I did get installed, I can now see what I am doing in the station area !!! Soon it will all be lit as good as this... hopefully.

Heres some pics....

Wife got me a 'Sound Of Music' taxi for xmas

As well as some Noch workmen

Here is the light. I think I am going to run them horizontally along the layout, rather than the way they are now...

Spotters view from the bridge

I may actually do some work on the narrow gauge area oen day...

And I also bought a piece of wood today, and cut it to fit this raised area on the left.. currently waiting for glue to dry...

Happy new year everyone !
DrStroganoff

Post by DrStroganoff »

Evening all.

Some serious work going on in the strogaloft today! A good friend has been round to help me fit my lighting up in the loft, and its coming along very nicely... He made the mistake of saying he enjoyed doing it, so now I'm going to rope him in to help me do my backscenes next! :lol:

Im thinking of laying some boards on top of the lighting, so as to box the layout in... And then maybe even stick some 'sky' backscene to the undersides of the aforementioned boards.

Now the glue has dried on this raised up area, I am needing some low relief buldings...

And heres the billboards again... just because.... hopefully less grainy this time.

*Austrain accent*, "Remember when I said the train on platform 1 would be on time?.... I lied"