My first layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mikehextall

Re: My first layout

Postby mikehextall » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:05 pm

This is the latest version of my track plan, as you can see the addition of the loop around the right hand side, it will also include some hidden siddings that are yet to be finalised, any help with this is appreciated.

One question for the DCC users is, is my track plan compatible with DCC? as I plan eventually when finances allow to run this layout as DCC.

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:26 pm

No advice regarding the boards beyond what you'll find on here, my own boards won't be built until thursday/friday lol.

As for DCC, that'll work fine, basically when you wire it up for DC control, it's not different for DCC, apart from you need to switch all isolating sections on, assuming you isolate any of it for DC control.

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:36 pm

nickbrad wrote:No advice regarding the boards beyond what you'll find on here, my own boards won't be built until thursday/friday lol.

As for DCC, that'll work fine, basically when you wire it up for DC control, it's not different for DCC, apart from you need to switch all isolating sections on, assuming you isolate any of it for DC control.

I want to control the whole lot with DCC, will i need any complicated wiring? Ive watched some videos on youtube but at the moment its a clear as mud!

nickbrad

Postby nickbrad » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:03 pm

Nope, unless you want to control the points with DCC and so on, no extra wiring will be needed. I haven't looked into wiring the points to be honest as I'm going the Wire in Tube method with my layout being so small.

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:39 pm

I think eventually i will wire my points, it would be rude not too lol and also going to have some lighting and signals. Plenty of time for all that though.

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Here is another update as my layout slowly progresses, please note that the legs are only temporary while im working out the weak points and what needs a little extra support.

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:18 pm

Please see my now adjusted layout, with moving into the loft it gave me some extra room for a fiddle yard which you can see on the left, could someone tidy this up a bit for me and give me an idea on point layout, ive measured up and I have 24 inches room so enough for 7 sidings by my calculations.

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:41 pm

Looks like an extremely good design :)

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

S_Jay

Postby S_Jay » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:16 am

Hi,

Just a quick point. In 7 feet of width, I can't see how you'd get 7 sidings + point work + turn through 90deg twice.

Surly it would be better to have your terminus a little higher and your storage sidings under it? What you have is a terminus with an out and back main line (The trains go out and come back. I have some plans that might suit some where, I'll see if I can dig them out.
My Layout, My world, My rules, if that's ok?
My layout with no progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=14866
My other layout with progress http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18394

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:48 am

How many sidings would I get with 7 feet of width?

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:08 pm

In 7 feet you can fit them in like this:

Plenty of space.

Or, to add it to the complete plan...

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:56 pm

Looks great think il go with that

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:38 pm

Just had my hour with the layout and ive come across a problem with the layout in the previous diagram, the clearance from the raised section is 7 inches, that doesn't give me alot of room for wiring on dcc bus and point motors with a train running underneath. Make it higher i hear you all cry but that will be difficult now seeing as that the incline and the raised section are already in place??????

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:52 pm

7 inches should be plenty. Even with the point motors, in place, they don't take up much more than an inch, surely. And as long as the wiring is attached to the bottom of the board well enough, it won't hang down enough to cause a problem, and should leave enough space to reach in to get any derailed locos back.

An alternative solution is to cut holes in the lower board, where it's underneath the raised board. Basically all you need is the bit where the track will be; the rest can be taken away, so you can reach derailments etc from underneath? It can be awkward, but I've seen this method done well before.

mikehextall

Postby mikehextall » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:34 pm

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”