DP2, the genesis of class 50

Discuss Heljan Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bigmet

DP2, the genesis of class 50

Post by Bigmet »

Heljan have announced that they plan to release a model of this prototype. http://www.heljan.dk/faste_filer/modul. ... ikelid=279
Campaigner

Re: DP2, the genesis of class 50

Post by Campaigner »

That will be nice, so long as it's OO and not O gauge. :)
kennyGWSR

Post by kennyGWSR »

so are dapol. this could be fun then.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Fun, as in Heljan have actually successfully delivered a few diesel loco classes?

Having let this news sink in, (and yes this is OO) Heljan are currently developing an O gauge Deltic. So, they have all the data for a Deltic, and the Hornby OO model is horrible, the Bachmann model is rather average; so, why not use the chassis design they will have had to put together for DP2 to give us the twin Napier glory? Of all BR diesels this was THE ONE.
0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Post by 0121modeller »

I viewed most of that weblink on their 00 British diesels, did anyone else notice the mistakes on class 33 listings ? (images of class 35's) :lol:

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=36342
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Bigmet wrote:Fun, as in Heljan have actually successfully delivered a few diesel loco classes?
But very few the right shape.....
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

If you go through what they have done in OO there are four that stand out for body shape issues: 33, 47/57, 52, 86.
All the rest are good, and there's past a dozen loco models now.

Hornby have similar problems on the 20, 30/31, 50, 52, 55, 66 ; Bachmann's 37 iterations saga is too well known to repeat, and their 24, 25, 40 and 55 all have received significant criticism; Vi's 37 is also criticised.

I would say it is about 'honour's even' between those four OO RTR makers myself, equal probability of a blooper from any of them.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

I wasn't aware of Hornbys class 50 was wrong, and ex Lima stuff hardly warrants a mention here. Yes Bachmann made a real mess of the 37, but each return it gets better. Never heard of Heljan fixing dimentional errors with their models. I've heard about the bachmann errors of their rats and 40s, but I cannot see them myself, they look right to me. However the Heljan 47/52/33/86 just look wrong, particularly the 47 and 52. Even got the 15 wrong after coming an measuring it up. God knows why they have the cab section sitting so high.
bobby55016

Post by bobby55016 »

Bigmet wrote:why not use the chassis design they will have had to put together for DP2 to give us the twin Napier glory?
unfortunatly as good looking as it was the 23rd Deltic wasn't twin Napier powered :( it had a 16CSVT in it
i mite uy one of these twoo tone green when they come out even though it isn't a real Deltic :mrgreen:
Bobby Hill
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

It didn't look too clever after the smash that caused it's premature withdrawal :( Would have been interesting to hear a Deltic loco sounding like a Class 50, unfortunately I never got to see DP2. Falcon was interesting though.. from what I remember of seeing it a Paddington once when I was a lad, it sounded like a Western class 52 but different :?
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
Dead Man's Handle

Post by Dead Man's Handle »

Heljan have released an image of a pre-production version.

http://www.heljan.dk/filarkiv/billeder/ ... 132511.jpg
bobby55016 wrote:
Bigmet wrote:why not use the chassis design they will have had to put together for DP2 to give us the twin Napier glory?
unfortunatly as good looking as it was the 23rd Deltic wasn't twin Napier powered :( it had a 16CSVT in it
i mite uy one of these twoo tone green when they come out even though it isn't a real Deltic :mrgreen:
I'm pretty sure Bigmet was suggesting that Heljan could surely have a good stab at a class 55 model, given that they'll have done a lot of the work with DP2, and not that DP2 was deltic engined.
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Latest painted models as seen in Scotland last weekend unfortunately highlight a glareing error in the cab dimentions. Where was the prototype have a tapered cab, Heljan have modeled it straight, and particularly on the later liveried example it stands out like a sore thumb. This is a real shame because they have got the body to sit so much better than Bachmann on its bogies.
Also for some reason I cannot understand they are perpetuating the use of incorrect font for the headcodes, considering they used to have it bang on right, its very odd. Have they seriously got their heads buried so far in the sand they dont hear whats been said about new releases?
Jim
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

It will be interesting to see whether if they do go on to do an OO class 55 using this chassis, they also take on board the message about the body shape and side window dimensional errors which are so apparent on the DP2 model. They are tooling an O gauge class 55, and the last I saw of that they had the cab side taper correct, and the side windows looked right, so one would hope that they could get the class 55 right in OO.

Very odd with Heljan, the way some models are extremely good, and others, 'out of shape'. So far I have been lucky in that all the items they offer that suit my modelling have been good uns; other than their very first UK OO model, the 47 which was so obviously wrong at launch that I wouldn't buy it even though it had such a good drive. And there Bachmann came to the rescue.
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

Bigmet wrote:Very odd with Heljan, the way some models are extremely good, and others, 'out of shape'.
The excellent Hymek and the "out of shape" Western being prime examples.
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Damn it! I've weekend and ordered a Plain BR dark green one. I know the cabs aint right, but with DP1, Lion, Falcon, and Kestrel, I've just got to have it...havn't I??? :shock: