Worlsey Works Ffestiniog coach 14.

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
sir hayden

Worlsey Works Ffestiniog coach 14.

Post by sir hayden »

Could someone send me pics of the Worsley Works Ffestiniog Bogie 14 kit please because I plan on getting and building it.
b308

Re: Worlsey Works Ffestiniog coach 14.

Post by b308 »

I haven't got one, so sorry I can't help... However I know that you are new to railway modelling and as I've said before to you and others the Worsley kits are not for beginners, for a start you need to know how to solder brass and also how they are constructed (i.e. a basic knowledge of scratchbuilding)... Its up to you whether you get one, but I don't want you wasting your money so please regard this post as friendly advice...

Post by 90733 »

Worsley works items are not kits as such, but sratchaids, so only provide the very basic body parts.
Andy_Elms

Post by Andy_Elms »

I'd advise leaving Worsley scratch aid parts for now, and concentrate on the kits you have already got.

Let me know how the repalcement roof and floor go
Andy Elms
Bristol, UK
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

Two things, one I have NO money and my grandpa is making me pay for my railway modelling so there's a bust and two I need a company that sells coach 14.
Last edited by sir hayden on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
b308

Post by b308 »

All we are saying is to take things one step at a time, you don't need to get everything in one go and by assembling the whitemetal and plastic kits first you will get the experience you will need to tackle a Worsley "kit" which is much harder to assemble...

Its up to you, you ask for help and advice, don't shoot us down if you don't happen to like that advice! :wink:
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

I don't mind skipping Worlsey Works it's just I need some Ffestiniog coaches like 14 or one of the older bogies but it looks like Worlsey Works is the only companey that sells most of the coach stock for the Ffestiniog and Talyllyn so I need to know there's another company that made coach 14 into a kit.
Andy_Elms

Post by Andy_Elms »

sir hayden wrote:Two things, one I have NO money and my grandpa is making me pay for my railway modelling so there's a bust and two I need a company that sells coach 14.
I think these two may be mutually exclusive - you need to tailor the stock you want to buy by your limited budget! Although you say you need it. I assume you meant to say "really want".

Why Carriage 14? It's a nice one, but it's a differnt beast from the smaller 4-wheelers that the Talyllyn ran in "Old Company" days. I suppose you could say it's similar to the Corris bogies, but it's even larger than them.

Problem is 14 came from another railway apart from the FR/Tal/Corris triumvirate - the Lynton and Barnstaple. This had even more of a main line feel, with bigger engiens than either Tal or Corris. Not exactly fitting in with the Tal / Corris image - I personally feel it may not fit in to what you are planning (you are planning something?!)

I'd recommend finishing the kits you've currently got, then if you do want more stock, consider the Parkside Dundas complete kits of the FR "Semi-Open" Bogie Carriages Nos 37 & 38 (DM22 on their website) or the compartment Bogie Carriages (DM64 on their website). They are plastic, so easier to assemble; are a full kit; and cheaper. You will be getting more for your money!
Andy Elms
Bristol, UK
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

What about coach 15 but I will be getting 37/38 and maybe the Langley Models coach if you guys don't mind.
whynot

Post by whynot »

This taking on troll-like dimensions, surely?
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

We were discussing the coaches I should get and I will ONLY start with the easy one and THEN move on to the more complicated stuff I just need a pic of the parts that coach 14 comes with so I'll know whether or not to get it first.
Andy_Elms

Post by Andy_Elms »

sir hayden wrote:We were discussing the coaches I should get and I will ONLY start with the easy one and THEN move on to the more complicated stuff I just need a pic of the parts that coach 14 comes with so I'll know whether or not to get it first.
This is getting repetitive. Are you refusing to take note of our advice?

Worsley Works has a website and an email address. You have a computer. Why not use the three things in such a way as to receive a direct answer to your question?

Though I expect it'll be just the same as you were told here.
Andy Elms
Bristol, UK
sir hayden

Post by sir hayden »

I don't mind starting with the plastic kits and wait to work on Worlsey Works kits.

Post by 90733 »

sir hayden wrote:I don't mind starting with the plastic kits and wait to work on Worlsey Works kits.
Then do so, I've only just tried my first brass kit, and have been building kits for 4 years or so now (I'm only a teen), and they are much more difficult than a plastic kit, requiring much more patience and equipment, let alone the skill, plus worsley work 'kit' are very much incomplete, I wouldn't have even said try a whitemetal body kit yet, especially one with brass parts and no chassis avaiable. Buy a couple of simple kits, doesn't matter if there relevnt to what you want to model, the parkside dundas freelance models are very simple, and make very nice little items, and are a good start, it is also worth purchassis a RTR loco first, such as the liliput or roco diesels, great value for money, put just try a couple of simple platic kits first, get a 'feel' for the scale and if you like it and enjoy, look into a RTR loco and possibley stock, while adding to it with platic kits, then move onto more complicated kits with whitemetal (which are technically very simple, but generally require lots of fetteling die to lots of the molds been very old) and eventually brass, take time, and everything doesn't need buying at once!
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

Hi sir haydn,

The plastic kits from PD are fine. I've built loads of them since starting the layout 4 years ago, but I have to say I wouldn't tackle any brass kits. I'm fine with plastic & white metal. It's worth bearing in mind that you can easily make adjustments / modifications to plastic kits if you can't get exactly what you want. I think I would find it easier to scratch build in plastic rather than build a brass kit :roll: