New to OO, new layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
amsie

New to OO, new layout

Postby amsie » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:27 pm

Hey all,

After many years of waiting for things to appear in N, such as an APT Kit, Class 89, 25Kv EMU's etc, and not having time any more to kit build & scratch build (due to wife, kids & business), ive made the jump to OO.

Ive put all my stuff on Ebay, but couldent wait to get my money, and spent a few £££'s on OO Locos, 86, 87, 90, 92, 60, 47, HST, 117 and I got myself an APT!!!! At long last!

Ive never really got people who want to super detail their locos, but now ive seen my oo stuff, I already want to set about adding lights, etc.

Also, as well as having more RTR avail, the 2nd hand market is a bargain compared to N, ive bagged all the above locos at no more than £25/loco, what bargains!!! (Apart from the APT, £102 but still a bargain :-))

Anyway, my layout, still in design, but will be in the loft, 22' long x 9' wide, so the layout will circle the whole loft. The layout will basically be late 80's based on a cross between WCML & GER, just outside London, with the blue brick retaining wall cuttings, an EMU stabling block (Can't wait to get my hands on the kit 25Kv stuff avail) 4 main lines and a station. I'll be using RTR DMU's to begin with as the Kit stuff will take a few years to build.

On the return side, im still debating whether to have a 22' long "fiddle yard", or whether to carry the 4 main lines round into a grass cutting, with a fiddle yard behind the scenes.

I'll be going DCC of course, and ATM, im looking at the Hornby Elite, mainly because Im lazy, like tail chaser layouts, and the two control buttons are swinging it for me, plus it appears to be capable of everything I want, with the eventual aim of computer control of the slow lines & stabling block.

Anyway, i'll be getting a web site up soon to show progress, including moving my cold water storage tank to make available more room, getting the track down etc etc.

Love the forum, looks to have a lot of knowledgable people, and also, not too many rivet counters! lol

Cheers

Paul

blackpool_fy2

Postby blackpool_fy2 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:32 pm

Welcome to OO! Good luck with the epic, I kinda like the idea of the 22' fiddle yard, to be honest but it's your decision entirely. Looking forward to seeing some updates and progress and you sound as though you've got the modelling nack already so it's gonna be good.

Regards,
Thomas.

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:34 pm

Was ur APT an eBay purchase? Hornby?
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:57 pm

Sweet...! I just can't wait to see this one, nice 25kv leccies!

mycerbera

Postby mycerbera » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:44 am

Welcome to the forum :D

I've a loft layout as well that is still in the plan/build stage, can't wait to see how yours progresses with all the space you have!

See mine here:

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=2152&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=450

mycerbera

amsie

Postby amsie » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:25 pm

Hey all,

Yes, the APT was Hornby on Ebay, £102 and runs like a dream, shame the panto isnt fully intact but im sure I can fix it.

Im stuck on the fidle yard aspect, and have several options:
1. A fiddle yard
2. A scenic fiddle yard like Hollybank depot. But this means more work
http://www.stroleycentral.co.uk/myfavouritelayouts4.htm
3. A Hidden Yard behind a cutting as mentioned. Less storage tough
http://www.railcar.co.uk/pics/models/bt14.jpg
4. Ive seen somewhere a fiddle yard off 4 running lines, hidden behind trees, so incorporated into the layout.

When I say fiddleyard, what I actually mean is somewhere to store running passenger trains, say an HST or 87 with 5-6 carriages, so that I can run another train out, so it could be based something like Ilford depot say, but with entrances at both sides.

I won't be doing freight, apart from maybe 1 poss 2 max but passenger stock is really my thing.

Cheers
Paul

amsie

Postby amsie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:52 am

Hey all,

A bit of an update. Ive got some basic track laid loose, and I can't believe i've got most of my track design done in less than a week! As you know, you can agonise about these things for months!

Anyway, I'll post some pics the weekend, but theres still lots of work to do, inc final fitting of the boards, moving the cold water storage tanks in the loft, laying probably a cork underlay so I don't wake the kiddies, painting the baseboards grey, laying the track, installing the point motors, wiring for DCC testing, etc etc. timescale approx 1 year for this, but good news, the wife & kids are away for a week in two weeks time, so I should get lots done.

Also, I managed to shed most of my N gauge stuff so far, £900 and ive still got the points to sell. However, i've probably spent double that already on new rolling stock, mostly the stuff that I wanted in N but would never come without kitbashing or respraying every loco. Plus I've ordered some express modes lighting for the HST & 117 to give them a go.

Im also going to try Seep motors and see how they go.

Lastly, Ive opted for the Hornby Elite + Point modules, although I won't be using Hornby decoders, despite their tempting price! Main reason for the elite is the two control knobs meaning I can be lazy running my locos, plus the USB hookup and possibility of computer control further down the road tempted me, and a bargain price! Although if it lets me down in the future, it could en up on Ebay!

Sorry about the long post guys but the wife don't seem to understand my excitement about all this, lol.

Cheers

Paul

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:56 pm

wives only ask one question - "How much did you spend?"

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:52 pm

lozstlouis wrote:wives only ask one question - "How much did you spend?"

or

"Why do you need another engine?" :(

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:33 pm

or "where have you been all this time?"

and so it goes on...

deltatango

Postby deltatango » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:16 pm

And how much am I getting

amsie

Re: New to OO, new layout

Postby amsie » Tue May 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Hi all,

Its been a few years since I've updated this post, so heres a bit of information about the layout, and some photos.

The layout is based in my loft, and comprises of 4 running lines, 2 slows and 2 fasts. The rear of the layout is a dedicated fiddle yard.

The layout is based in the Great Eastern railway between 1980 and 1990.

I have made a lot of progress since my origional post, mainly trial and error in kit building, scratch building and other things. I did part build the layout with card walls and platforms, but im getting round to changing them all to plastic scratchbuilt buildings.

The layout is now controlled by a Digitrax system. I did have the Hornby elite for a while, but wanted to move towards full computer control and I use a mixture of Digitrax SE8C and RR&Co to control the signals. Currently only 2 signals are wired up. The layout is also divided into blocks for occupancy detection.

The points are Tortoise on the layout, some still need to be installed hence no ballasting around the majority of the pointwork.

The layout is far from finished, and its a bit of a long term project for me. Unfortunately I don't get enough time to devote to model railways, but im plugging away and getting nearer to what I would call a finished layout.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy the photos. I've also got a few vids on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/amsiesmodels

IMG_7546 [800x600].jpg
IMG_7546 [800x600].jpg (40.68 KiB) Viewed 3967 times

IMG_7548 [800x600].jpg
IMG_7548 [800x600].jpg (68.45 KiB) Viewed 3961 times

IMG_7549 [800x600].jpg
IMG_7549 [800x600].jpg (57.31 KiB) Viewed 3967 times

IMG_7550 [800x600].jpg
IMG_7550 [800x600].jpg (74.91 KiB) Viewed 3966 times

IMG_7558 [800x600].jpg
IMG_7558 [800x600].jpg (45.11 KiB) Viewed 3968 times

manna

Postby manna » Wed May 11, 2011 3:31 am

G'day Gents

Cor!! that don't half take me back to when I lived in 'Sarfend' and traveled to Kings Cross every day (mine you that was 40 years ago) and both Stratford and Temple Mills were still active, Great railway, we see so few big GE layouts, Thanks for sharing :lol:

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

amsie

Postby amsie » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:38 pm

Thanks Manna. Your not wrong there mate, the only other one I know of is Dagworth amd possibly Orwell St John.

With the Clacton unit finished and on the layout, and with sound locos making it onto the layout, i've been thinking about changing the layout from a London suburb with fast trains to a coastal layout, with a couple of the platforms as terminuses and more stopping trains, and condensing the layout down to 2 running lines. To be honest, I can't control 4 trains, and it gets quite noisy playing trains with the kids down below in their bedrooms.

I've had a bit of a play around with the layout and im quite liking the idea of a coastal layout based around the North Essex/South Suffolk area.

Please find attached some pics with a bit of a mock up as to how it could look.

Also, we are 99% certain to be staying in our house, and extending our home with a new kitchen/diner. Moving the kitchen to a new location gives us the opportunity to goto a combi boiler, and free up some more space in the loft around the station area meaning 100% access to all areas and more modelling potential around the station area!

Comments welcome re the changes.

Paul
Attachments
IMG_7773 [800x600].jpg
IMG_7773 [800x600].jpg (87.67 KiB) Viewed 3658 times
IMG_7763 [800x600].jpg
IMG_7763 [800x600].jpg (67.26 KiB) Viewed 3655 times
IMG_7757 [800x600].jpg
IMG_7757 [800x600].jpg (79.35 KiB) Viewed 3658 times

manna

Postby manna » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:41 am

G'Day Gents

Nice to see some more pics of your layout, brilliant, being an Ex railwayman at Kings Cross, I did manage to drive a Southend 'leccy unit once between Stratford and Gidea Park and another time my Driver let me drive a class 47 from KX to Daganham Dock to pick up a Ford car train, great fun coming round the curve at Channelsea and along the slow lines,to where we curved off at Forrest Gate to pick up the line to Barking, sorry you've got me going, better take me pills again!! do you run any freight ??

manna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”