QBR (Quarry Bank Railway) ~ Quarry Bank 00

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
trainsandco

Re: QBR (Quarry Bank Railway) ~ Quarry Bank 00

Post by trainsandco »

35011 GSN wrote:no worries, thanks for the offer. another 50 is gonna be a while off yet
Yeah, it just keeps breaking down on the way here! Most of it will be spent being towwed by Clan Line ;) :lol:

Ben
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A
kennyGWSR

Post by kennyGWSR »

trainsandco wrote:
35011 GSN wrote:no worries, thanks for the offer. another 50 is gonna be a while off yet
Yeah, it just keeps breaking down on the way here! Most of it will be spent being towwed by Clan Line ;) :lol:

Ben
or getting towed around by a class 47 ;) they cannot be as good as ian makes them out to be if there was a 47 on the front 24/7!
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

kennyGWSR wrote:
trainsandco wrote:

Ben
or getting towed around by a class 47 ;) they cannot be as good as ian makes them out to be if there was a 47 on the front 24/7!
I was so close to typing being towed by a 47 :P but I thought larry would prefere Clan Line :P

81D & 55A
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

kennyGWSR wrote:
trainsandco wrote:

Ben
I was so close to typing being towed by a 47 :P but I thought larry would prefere Clan Line :P

81D & 55A
50035 Ark Royal

Post by 50035 Ark Royal »

kennyGWSR wrote:
trainsandco wrote:

Ben
Hi Kenny explain please do you mean on the front of Vanguard or Sir Edward or do you mean 24th July.
No they are not as good as i make out but better :P
Seriously when they are on song everything going right no other tye 4 can match them and yes that does include a Western :lol:
They Pxxxx all overL 47's as a Duff can not match the Vacs power output or speed. :D
Larry, thats fine mate, at least you got Viccey now 2 of them on here but i think 35 holds the record for the number on here followed by 45. :D
Unfortuantely you were too young to see them in thier prime and there was nothing quite like them and has not been since.No diesel comes close.
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal
35011 GSN

Post by 35011 GSN »

haha clan line is good ben :wink:

yeah all I remember railway wise are pacers, I've grown up with them :shock: and they wont be going soon. I read that the only thing threatening them is the fitting of some kind of equipment that must be fitted by 2014
montyburns1982

Post by montyburns1982 »

35011 GSN wrote:haha clan line is good ben :wink:

yeah all I remember railway wise are pacers, I've grown up with them :shock: and they wont be going soon. I read that the only thing threatening them is the fitting of some kind of equipment that must be fitted by 2014
Spending virtually every day of my working life recently looking to keep the 142s going, I can confirm that there is a plan to keep them running for as long as possible. Whether or not they self destruct prior to that (Cardan Shafts anyone?) remains to be seen.
"The greatest fear is not that we set our goals too high, but that we set our goals too low and reach them" - Michelangelo
35011 GSN

Post by 35011 GSN »

montyburns1982 wrote:

Spending virtually every day of my working life recently looking to keep the 142s going, I can confirm that there is a plan to keep them running for as long as possible. Whether or not they self destruct prior to that (Cardan Shafts anyone?) remains to be seen.
oooo in my opinion thats good, they have character. I like them and their noise :D
35011 GSN

Post by 35011 GSN »

For the easter period there will be a S&D themed Gala made up of locos that actually ran on the S&D or representatives of the class who have run over it. The line up is as Follows:

-120*
-34045*
-34053*
-75069*

*locos actually worked over the S&D

thanks to Kenny for the info :D
kennyGWSR

Post by kennyGWSR »

35011 GSN wrote:For the easter period there will be a S&D themed Gala made up of locos that actually ran on the S&D or representatives of the class who have run over it. The line up is as Follows:

-120*
-34045*
-34053*
-75069*

*locos actually worked over the S&D

thanks to Kenny for the info :D
haha no worries! glad i could have helped! i look forward to the gala photos! :D
50035 Ark Royal

Clan Line pulling a Vac never :lol: Ben can i remind you back to 1985 and the 150th anniversary of GWR.Two ketlles running from Paddington to Plymouth stalled on Dainton Bank blocking the Main Line.
Along comes Achilles resplendent in Large Logo as recently outshopped from Donny(last classified repair) on a Sun Padd-Plymouth working.Achilles is detatched from its train to bank the stricken kettles up the Bank, then returning to its own train albiet 45 late but it still made Plymouth only 30 down and returned to Padd as boked on diagram.
As i said at thier best far superior to any type 4 going and 1985 a good year as one Summer Saturday 95% availability was recorded.Fantastic. :D
manormadman

Post by manormadman »

50035 Ark Royal wrote:

Clan Line pulling a Vac never :lol: Ben can i remind you back to 1985 and the 150th anniversary of GWR.Two ketlles running from Paddington to Plymouth stalled on Dainton Bank blocking the Main Line.
Along comes Achilles resplendent in Large Logo as recently outshopped from Donny(last classified repair) on a Sun Padd-Plymouth working.Achilles is detatched from its train to bank the stricken kettles up the Bank, then returning to its own train albiet 45 late but it still made Plymouth only 30 down and returned to Padd as boked on diagram.
As i said at thier best far superior to any type 4 going and 1985 a good year as one Summer Saturday 95% availability was recorded.Fantastic. :D
If we are starting a arguement of which is better- class 50s or steamers, just look at 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe. 45 minutes early on the bristolian, last year. And if you mean the 6000+7819 train, 6000 (the main power) failed at Taunton with a hotbox. But a 5mt (I think) Manor class forged on with 13 coaches and 2 failed diesels on the back, so stick that up your pipe and smoke it! :lol:
Cheers Seb
:D
kennyGWSR

Post by kennyGWSR »

how long have steam locos been on this planet ian? how long have your beloved 50s been on it? how long will they last? with the rate that your 50s are being scrapped in preservation i think there will only be a few left, oh look at that, new steam locos are being built and old ones restored, not that many are being scrapped in preservation...i think that sas something :wink:
sorry for hijacking your thread larry! :)
50035 Ark Royal

kennyGWSR wrote:how long have steam locos been on this planet ian? how long have your beloved 50s been on it? how long will they last? with the rate that your 50s are being scrapped in preservation i think there will only be a few left, oh look at that, new steam locos are being built and old ones restored, not that many are being scrapped in preservation...i think that sas something :wink:
sorry for hijacking your thread larry! :)
Kenny you can say all you like, but the fact is your steamers not up to it they had to be banked up Dainton Bank by 2,700 hp July 1985.
Re 50's been scrapped the last one was another favourite that beast Leviathhan 50040 by Sims Metals at Halesowen 2007.
As far as i am aware all 18 that are preserved with maybe the exception of Rodney are secure. :P
trainsandco

Post by trainsandco »

Also while we're on the subject, in Summer '99 When on Sir Nigel Gresley's mainline farewell (some of you may be aware of this...)

Just leaving Kings Cross, the diesel at the back jammed on its brakes and the train could not get moving at all. Eventually they got rid of the diesel, and started off again - an hour late - Arriving at Doncaster for water....10 minutes EARLY.....try getting one of your tin boxes to get a timing like that....

81D & 55A