EWS TMD, N Gauge, Modern Era

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
cmeonthemove

Re: EWS TMD, N Gauge, Modern Era

Postby cmeonthemove » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:22 am

This layout really does look the part with all the extra detailing now. Love it!

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:23 pm

Today I was going to do what I thought was the simple task of re-numbering my Stobart Containers. I have the C-Rail kit that I purchased from the N-Gauge Society shop and set down to do it. I have a fibreglass pen that I used to take the old number off. What I was trying to do is leave the first number so it helps when lining up the second number transfer. I had Humbrol number 25 paint and mixed this with a little white. After an hour of mixing different amounts I finally reached a colour not far from the original (not exact but close enough). I then applied the transfers in the normal manor. I'm pleased with the result and not a hard task once you get the paint mixed?

See my layout under construction - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30089

'There's nothing more satisfying than peeling dried glue from your fingers'

taytrain

Postby taytrain » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:54 pm

nice work on re-numbering those container's

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:18 pm

Thinking about the space to the rear of the TMD I have decided to add an office building to the side. So today saw me scratch build the office building (help supplied by my 2 and half year old, chief gluer). As this is hidden by the TMD I opted for simplicity.

I also received by order of Herpa trucks today (see pictures below). They really fit in with my modern day layout. More trucks and cars are needed but its hard tracking down suppliers with reasonable prices. I have also started making my Porta-cabins that I got a few days ago and will double stack them as in the picture below with stairs like the real ones in the Rugby Stobart yard. I have also painted the Knightwing TMD accessories and these are in place with the new acquired forklift trucks. The eagle eyed followers to this post will spotted that I have also added some wagon wheels. I painted the ends red to portray end covers as in the pictures that I have seen of them in sitting around in yards.

See my layout under construction - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30089

auricom

Postby auricom » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:24 pm

Containers look good.

After an hour of mixing different amounts I finally reached a colour not far from the original (not exact but close enough)

And you would probably find that some containers have been patched up with splashes of paint here and there.
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:19 pm

I have modified the Knightwing Porta-cabins to be two-storey high and with steps. I have managed this by using plastic-card. This has a place in the Stobart yard. I will further detail this with a man I have from the Scenecraft range but don't want to open the packet until I know were the rest of the men will be positioned.

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:28 pm

Nice piece of work on the portacabins there. Some weathering should also hide the paint differences on the containers.

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:08 pm

Sorry not much progress on the layout as I have been working. I'm currently awaiting a delivery from the n-gauge society so you will have some pictures of the wagons I have ordered and will need to construct soon.

There was a visit from the Health and Safety officers the other day and they wanted a pedestrian walkway adding in the yard due to a worker being run over by a reversing truck? So as you can see I have added the marked walkway? I have also added some more signs including safety notice boards and speed signs. No Smoking signs have been added to the fuel unloading point and refueling point. The ramp has been built near the office area for unloading and also a walkway for the drivers to walk to the office to rest or change driver, as my yard is intended to be a driver change point as well as the TMD and refuelling site.

Matt

auricom

Postby auricom » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:17 pm

Tractor Matt wrote:There was a visit from the Health and Safety officers the other day and they wanted a pedestrian walkway adding in the yard due to a worker being run over by a reversing truck? So as you can see I have added the marked walkway? I

Corrr, Health and safety people ey? I mean, goodness gracious me, wanting a pedestrian crossing just because someone got run over? What next? :wink: :twisted:

Haha looking good Matt,

Chris (cme) could probably point you in the direction of cheap cars and lorries.

Have you decided what to do yet with the roof of the TMD? ie: roof with windows, detachable roof, or keeping no roof?
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:10 pm

auricom wrote:Chris (cme) could probably point you in the direction of cheap cars and lorries.

I wish! I'm still trying to find them myself!

Another great set of pics Matt. Keep 'em coming!

Tractor Matt

Postby Tractor Matt » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:11 pm

I haven't been able to update you recently due to a new arrival in our house, my new baby daughter. So modelling time as been between dirty nappies and tea making for visitors. My other delivery has came from the N gauge society.

First part of my order is my warflat wagons and Y25c bogies. Ok I know these aren't the real bogies on the warflats but they aren't much different from the Gloucester bogies. I ordered six of these but unfortunately one of the bogies glued itself to the underside of the wagon so it's waiting to be fixed. I have had to modify the Parkwood design slightly has I have had to take the lifting jacks off from each end so that the NEM couplings have room move. I have also had to lift the frame of the bogies by building a two millimetre base. If I didn't do this the bogies would have rubbed on the sides. I have painted them with dark green and the buffer beams in warning yellow, yet to be weathered. I will be ordering tanks to add to the tops. The wagons need some weight to them as at the moment they are too light to haul without derailments. I have seen various videos on You Tube of these wagons and they all seem to have a VGA wagon on the rear of the rake. I don't know if this is because of somewhere to put the soldiers kit in or to make the rear of the rake visible. So to make the train authentic I had one ordered which is a Graham Farish wagon.

The second item in the package from the N gauge society is the three HQA Autoballasters in the Network Rail livery. The item comes in kit form and looks very daunting when you look at the parts and read the instructions. I have taken my time and also spent time on the internet looking at real wagons so I know where parts go and how parts should be positioned. Something else to note is the difference between the D, E and F types of this wagons. I have only ordered three of these wagons has I wanted to make one of each wagon before I spent out on making a rake of ten. These wagons run in a fixed sets of five, with three inners (E's) a buffered generator (F's) and a front wagon with buffers (D's). I have to say at my first time making n gauge wagons I have found it very enjoyable and look forward to making more and possibly scratch building wagons. For example I have been thinking how to make a chemical sprayer in n gauge. I still have to paint these wagons and add the transfers. I have also purchased a vinyl kit to modify a HST as I think I have the bug to make more.

I have also purchased Dapol's 67005 the dummy royal train. I am currently searching for the 67006 to accompany this train but at the moment it is parked outside the TMD to be serviced?

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:31 pm

Matt

Congratulations on the new arrival, and the baby of course! :D
The N gauge kits looks really good and I guess they are cheaper than buying off the shelf bits? Certainly more satisfying to build your own, even from kits.
I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

dagenham

Postby dagenham » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:20 pm

hi ya mate
your layout is coming on very well and loving the station area slowly coming along
so whats your next plan of attack and good work on thoise kit wagons you built
peter

Ben A

Postby Ben A » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi Matt

You've done a great job on the Warflats, and your Autoballasters are coming on nicely too. I look forward to seeing the full rake of ten - will you do both sets of five in Network Rail, or one set Network Rail and one set Railtrack? (Or even Railtrack unbranded with blue patch painted over the lettering....)

cheers

Ben A.

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:57 pm

Just wanted to add my congratulations on the new arrival(s) :lol:

Great job on the warflats. Those JJA ballaster kits look well detailed. On my long shopping list is a set of five of these.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”