16 by 6 Layout (currently un-named)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
AlistairMccoy

Re: 16 by 6 Layout (currently un-named)

Post by AlistairMccoy »

With running DCC so i need to run wires to the track at various points? or is plugging the controller in one place enough?

Thanks
Kentman98

Post by Kentman98 »

Again impressed with the speed you have got to this stage!

Are you planning to go the full monty? i.e do all the scenics. If you are then I would recommend the cardboard is replaced with something more substantial. The last thing you would want is your track bedded in and sides of the inclines filled in etc and then the cardboard to sag, warp.

Also, the tight bends? Have you tested all your stock to make sure they can get round? You may have already done this or are already prepared to limit the stock that can work those lines. Just mentioning it in case you hadn't! :)
Trev

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.......

My layout thread
AlistairMccoy

Post by AlistairMccoy »

Kentman98 wrote:Again impressed with the speed you have got to this stage!

Are you planning to go the full monty? i.e do all the scenics. If you are then I would recommend the cardboard is replaced with something more substantial. The last thing you would want is your track bedded in and sides of the inclines filled in etc and then the cardboard to sag, warp.

Also, the tight bends? Have you tested all your stock to make sure they can get round? You may have already done this or are already prepared to limit the stock that can work those lines. Just mentioning it in case you hadn't! :)
Yep i am although i reckon it will take years. and yeh i will replace the card with MDF when i get some. But i am cutting the card to use as the template.

All the bends are radius 2 or larger. So i don't forsee any porblems. :) although i could be wrong?

Thanks guys :)
auricom

Post by auricom »

AlistairMccoy wrote:With running DCC so i need to run wires to the track at various points? or is plugging the controller in one place enough?

Thanks

I know nadda about DCC but check out the DCC board.
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?
AlistairMccoy

Post by AlistairMccoy »

lol ok. When are you planning on starting your layout chris?

Alistair
auricom

Post by auricom »

In the next 2 or 3 weeks (after pay day) ill get my board, iv already done a plan of how to get my 5ft by 7ft board from an 8x4 bit of ply. then ill print out my design and then start laying the track :)

You looked at the design?
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?
AlistairMccoy

Post by AlistairMccoy »

auricom wrote:In the next 2 or 3 weeks (after pay day) ill get my board, iv already done a plan of how to get my 5ft by 7ft board from an 8x4 bit of ply. then ill print out my design and then start laying the track :)

You looked at the design?
Oh cool.

Yes i have although you seem to have the same problem i had with my first design in that there is nothing happening in the middle. Have you thought about putting something there?

I now have the up and over completed. and have done a full test of all track. Just need to cut the rest of my foam. :)
auricom

Post by auricom »

Ahh but there you see, the middle isnt actually going to be there :)

Also if you look at some of the C.J Freezer stuff, he dosnt crowd the middle, On my first designs, I tried to put track everywhere, and it just ended up looking messy.
Chris

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Post by Durseytu »

Blimey this looks like a lot of track to run your trains on! Are the two loops connected at some point (with points... if you get my point :roll: )? I can't see it but it might be a good idea to provide more flexibility and operational interest.

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage
AlistairMccoy

Post by AlistairMccoy »

auricom wrote:Ahh but there you see, the middle isnt actually going to be there :)

Also if you look at some of the C.J Freezer stuff, he dosnt crowd the middle, On my first designs, I tried to put track everywhere, and it just ended up looking messy.
Ah ok is it the operating well?
auricom

Post by auricom »

Not really, the board is going to be in two halves, so to make it lighter and easier to move, there will be no middle, also means that less wood is needed for the base, therefore cheaper :)
Chris

AlistairMccoy

Post by AlistairMccoy »

Durseytu wrote:Blimey this looks like a lot of track to run your trains on! Are the two loops connected at some point (with points... if you get my point :roll: )? I can't see it but it might be a good idea to provide more flexibility and operational interest.

Cheers,

Stuart.

Nope i have all my points sitting in a pile currently most have point motors attached and i have tried removing them and it is hard to not cause damage so i will deside where and then cut the holes and add the points :) Also i want to cut two access hatches in the board for getting at wiring etc. so i need to take my Fetool circular saw up at some point to cut the holes.

This is the beast: http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CEgQ8wIwAw#

should make it easy lol
AlistairMccoy

Post by AlistairMccoy »

auricom wrote:Not really, the board is going to be in two halves, so to make it lighter and easier to move, there will be no middle, also means that less wood is needed for the base, therefore cheaper :)
Sort of get you lol. Not 100% though.
auricom

Post by auricom »

AlistairMccoy wrote:
auricom wrote:Not really, the board is going to be in two halves, so to make it lighter and easier to move, there will be no middle, also means that less wood is needed for the base, therefore cheaper :)
Think of a Polo lol

Im going to have a middle board which will sit in the gap with scenery on it, but as its a little station, theres not going to be any major shunting yards and what not.
Chris

AlistairMccoy

Post by AlistairMccoy »

auricom wrote:
AlistairMccoy wrote:
Think of a Polo lol

Im going to have a middle board which will sit in the gap with scenery on it, but as its a little station, theres not going to be any major shunting yards and what not.
Oh i get you now. Have you got any trains or track?