Andrew's Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Dead Man's Handle

Re: Andrew's Layout

Post by Dead Man's Handle »

Class 37 wrote:Truley exibition standard!
Oh come on... some of Grotty's work might be a little bit rough around the edges, but there's very little that's as poor as exhibition standard!
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!
GROTLAND

Post by GROTLAND »

Shut it moaning Minnie!

Thanks for nice positive comments you other guys

Dave, that 27 was one I got off e-bay a couple of weeks ago and it already had the 'T' cut out. I've those on my rippled Lima 27 though. I used a pin-vice that Stumpy (where's he gone too?) gave me to make holes all round the T shape and then needle files to smooth it once the shape was pressed out. Hopefully see you soon.

Mark, I like the idea of both types of signals but I'm not too keen on building them all and getting them all to work or paying for them either. I built a Ratio semaphore kit a bit back with 4 signals in the kit but I like these etched brass MSE kits and If I get a decent iron for Christmas I'll give one a try.
I prefer EM scale over P4 simply because EM's what drives girls wild and they think the P4 guy's are too dusty and flaky but I guess Geoff's right; women are more expensive and troublesome than model trains.

Richard, The 21 in the pictures is a modified Hornby loco with Bachmann 25 power and gear towers.

Thanks again chaps

Andy
Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Post by Eastern »

Nice to see Grotland back and you too, Andy! - although I have to say, I much prefer your recent avatar with the guitar girl! Any chance of seeing some of those coaches you've been working on?
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”

East Cheltwell

Charles[/color]
GROTLAND

Post by GROTLAND »

Don and Charles, thanks and cheers for your support over the years (aye!) :D Nice to see you too!

Charles, I thought you were gonna ask to see more pictures of France Gall :mrgreen: I prefer the guitar picture too but one must get all seasonal and that.
Much nicer than a picture of grubby coaches

I was thinking of doing a write up on the coaches but my method tended to get rid of transfers too easily because of the white spirit in the washes (Bachmann decals came off easier than Hornby.)
First I took off all the Bachmann roof ribs with a curved blade, scratching horizontally with the blade 90 degrees to the ribs. All the bogies/wheels/underframes were painted in Humbrol 29 Brown. Then Wickes chalky emulsion "Liqueurice" (I can't spell that) for axles and some water-colour for rusty springs. Carrs powders then, for the bogies to blend things in.
Most coaches were polished with T-cut to get that model matt finish away. This also began to shift transfers so I cut thin slithers of masking tape to cover the lining and numbers before T-cutting. I decided to only do a dirty wash to fill the door gaps with maybe a bit of mucky brown paint on the hinges first on most coaches to save the decals from shifting.
The idea and method for roof flaking was inspired by Zunnan's old Mainline ex LMS parcel vans thread......took some finding did that but I remembered I'd use it one day(it's in scenery i think..not sure). It involves painting parts of the roof silver/steel, weathering those areas with rust/scratches etc then painting on Humbrol Maskol over the bits you want to be seen before brush painting the whole roof brown/grey etc. This effect is seen mostly on ex LMS stuff like Stanier coaches but I've seen it on MK1/MK2's too. The thing to do is not go too far and maybe only have 1 coach in the rake that has a roof like that.
Image.
Once you get rolling you can get a load done. I did 40 coaches in batches of 4. for example :modify all roofs then T-cut all bodies than paint all chassis. With the roof paint, a mix was made for each set of 4, so 10 variations in roof colour overall which looks quite realistic if you have, say 2 coaches in a rake that have different shades of roof muck.
It's as boring as I make it sound :roll:
The picture is Ok but without the little bit on the coach roof it would just be a bit dull.

Ok, I've had enough.
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

It's as boring as I make it sound...

But hugely effective and well worth the effort. I'm noticing the work on bogies and underframes too.

The Graham Farish tagline comes to mind - 'Masterpieces in Miniature' :)
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

Grotty - have I said how much I love your model railway? Even as I try to overcome my feelings of inadequacy concerning my trainset, I can't help but curse and admire you in the same breath - "You magnificent b*stard", I believe, was General Patton's comment under slightly similar circumstances...!

For Christmas this year I would like...some more lovely pictures of your layout, please!

Gavin
benny7820

Post by benny7820 »

Black-Marlin wrote:For Christmas this year I would like...some more lovely pictures of your layout, please!
As would I!! Great work chappy! :)

Ben
I thought I was right! Turns out I wasnt...
Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Post by Durseytu »

I do agree that this is a rather terrific layout; one that I would try to emulate if it were not for my somewhat inferior modelling skills. Your attention to detail even though in this case it is simply muck on a roof is incredible. You may consider your images dull with a bit of muck but they certainly look very realistic.

Hats off!

Stuart.
ImageImage
kennyGWSR

Post by kennyGWSR »

this is an amazing layout andy :) and the class 21 is so good :D it will put the dapol one to shame when that comes out next year :wink: can you tell me what is the dmu in the photo a couple of comments up please?

thanks
kenny
GROTLAND

Post by GROTLAND »

Aw, stop it you lot :oops: especially you Gav.

Kenny, the DMU is a Class 100 like these
http://www.railcar.co.uk/Gallery/100vehicle.htm

The model is an old MTK kit that was re-produced by No-Nonsense-Kits a couple of years ago. There's only a handful left in existence and in poor condition too:
I only saw one in service when it went past our school and it was in the livery of the Class 150's too which looked pretty good.
kennyGWSR

Post by kennyGWSR »

wow, i didnt even know about the class 100. i really should read up on these :wink:
it looks a bit of a mess, shame really. least yours looks good andrew :D
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

Wotcha, Andy, 'ow's tricks?

I thought you might like this pic, knowing your great love for models that have that 'rough-around-the-edges' look - in this case, the straggly grass growing down the cliff face. To be perfectly honest, I meant to focus on the 9F above, but...

Anyway, what's been happening in the brilliantly gloomy surrounds of Leith Baltic over the holidays?

Regards,
Gavin

manna

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

What can I say about this layout that has,n,t already been said, perfect eye for detail, 60 shades of black, just like the real thing :) got to be in the top 10 layouts of all time 8)

mannna
EDGWARE GN. Steam in the Suburbs
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Bloody typical! I turn up here, thinking "Oh, he must have put some new pictures up on here by now"... :evil:

Oit! Get yer camera out! 8)

Cheers fela

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
auricom

Post by auricom »

As everybody else has said it all before ill simply say, This is is INSANE!!!! (in the good way)
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?