Old Warren TMD - The Final Curtain

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
lairadepot

Re: Old Warren TMD now under construction

Post by lairadepot »

hi chris
loving the new detailed class 37 it looks very good and i can wait to see the finised article
and are you gong to be doing any more locos like that
and i wantd to ask how do you do the wethering as for me i am using one loco an old class 37 snap lol and i am using the taniya weathering master blocks that come in 3 ie snow, soot, and rust
is it easy to use an airbrush system
many thanks
laira depot
peter
cmeonthemove

Post by cmeonthemove »

lairadepot wrote:hi chris
loving the new detailed class 37 it looks very good and i can wait to see the finised article
and are you gong to be doing any more locos like that
and i wantd to ask how do you do the wethering as for me i am using one loco an old class 37 snap lol and i am using the taniya weathering master blocks that come in 3 ie snow, soot, and rust
is it easy to use an airbrush system
many thanks
laira depot
peter
Hi Peter
Currently I have two similar projects planned (but no donor locos yet):

Matching DRS loco to go on the back of the test train
37425 Pride of the Valleys in current running form (with custom nameplates)

My weathering is all done by brush as I never got the hang of airbrushing. Using a soft brush I wet the bristles in water then rub the brush over the weathering master until the powder goes virtually dry, then lightly dry-brush the weathering on. The powder on the brush is still just wet enough to go onto the loco without leaving brush marks behind. It's much better than using the applicator which tends to apply the powder a bit heavy (and they break in no time).

I use the rust on the bogies and the soot on the roof and grilles. There is another kit which contains sand, light sand and mud. I use the mud from this one for general bodyside weathering.
Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Post by Durseytu »

I must say I've just caught up with this one. Aside from taking a while to catch up when you have been away a while, the benefit is that it can be nice to see a sudden amount of updates on a layout you are following.

The yard area is coming along nicely; and you have done some excellent ballast work and on the shed too. I also like the developments on the scenery along the back of the layout, and the motorway is coming along nicely too.

Top marks on the 37. Its staggering to see those kit conversions on such a small scale. I think I echo the voice of someone else here when I say that I would struggle with something like this in OO gauge. The 37 certainly looks at home at the front of the test train. No wonder its pulled out the train spotters. Is that one I see with a tripod mounted camera?

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage
auricom

Post by auricom »

cmeonthemove wrote:Thanks MrT. Glad I asked as I intend to run a matching pair of 37s - namely the new variant. I discovered the China/Poole were different when I mentioned the decals being a couple of mm too short to Steve @ Lancaster models. Apparently they were designed for the Poole body but the difference isn't too noticeable.

I think I'll go with Marcus's idea and have two running 37s, putting the quicker one at the lead to prevent derailments from the rear pushing. I intend to run some charter trains on the layout and double-headed nukes so I want to match the 37s to one body design.

Nukes? Sorry im not 'with it' with the lingo at the moment :wink:
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?
Stewart Gethin

Post by Stewart Gethin »

auricom wrote:
cmeonthemove wrote:Thanks MrT. Glad I asked as I intend to run a matching pair of 37s - namely the new variant. I discovered the China/Poole were different when I mentioned the decals being a couple of mm too short to Steve @ Lancaster models. Apparently they were designed for the Poole body but the difference isn't too noticeable.

I think I'll go with Marcus's idea and have two running 37s, putting the quicker one at the lead to prevent derailments from the rear pushing. I intend to run some charter trains on the layout and double-headed nukes so I want to match the 37s to one body design.

Nukes? Sorry im not 'with it' with the lingo at the moment :wink:

Nuclear waste, always have 2 loco's hauling. Incase a breakdown, they've got to have 2 so they don't have to stop and wait for a relief loco(thus causing a security risk whilst it is stopped)

I think

Keep up the good work.

Stew.
auricom

Post by auricom »

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Cheers Stew :D
Chris

Bookseller, philosopher and brutally forthright. If you don't like what I say, so what?
champion

Post by champion »

Just to let everyone know that i have had chris visit and view my layout today and he as asked me to say that due to computer problems he cant post or return replys to this thread for the time being,and hopes to return asap.

regards.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.
champion

Post by champion »

Further details on chris.
I spoke to him this morning and his computer has blown and could be sometime up and posting progress reports of the layout.
He has asked me to keep you all informed.
regards.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common
cmeonthemove

Post by cmeonthemove »

Hi all.
First thanks Richard for letting the guys know about the PC problems. The old PC gave up the ghost after the power supply dropped a voltage circuit and blew out the motherboard circuitry so we now have a brand spanking new machine and fortuantely I managed to get a cradle for the old hard drive and copy everything over. The modem didn't work on the new PC so we ordered a new wireless router which arrived today so we are now back online.

I have a small-ish update to put up on here later once I've learnt my way around this Windows 7 thing and let SWMBO have a go on here, but due to lack of funds lately there hasn't been a lot of work happening, although I came back from Richard's with a few goodies and had a couple of small ebay purchases turn up last week. I'm now signed off work until the New Year so another couple of months to work on the layout although I HAVE to keep the spending down now!!! :evil:

Stew you are spot on with the nukes info.
cmeonthemove

Post by cmeonthemove »

Right here's that update I promised:-

While I was offline, a couple of points I won on eBay turned up, so I was able to get the storage sidings running off the loop laid, weathered and ballasted, plus a further siding in the depot.

The ballast is not glued though as I have to replace one of the sets of points running off the loop which I have now found out is Electro-frog not Insul-frog – something I hadn’t discovered in my early days! I’ve only now found this out now I have 2 locos to run - DOH :evil: Still it proves I'm learning!

The loco shed has had a bit more work done. The sides now have the metal cladding and the first roof panel is in place. I ran out of plasticard and money to buy any more until next week.

I also built some fencing and gates for the houses. The end house has a brick wall down the side to separate from the pavement on the main road.

In the second pic you can also see the scrapped Merc which came to me with no glazing so was given damage and weathering to represent a car being used for spares to keep the red one running by a classic Merc enthusiast.

When I visited Richard aka Champion I left with some of his old coach bodies which I have temporarily fitted with the bogies from my Network Rail coaches until I can get some replacements from BR Lines.

Finally, while waiting for the new modem router to arrive so we could get our new PC online I had a play in Adobe Photoshop which came with the PC and put some photographic backgrounds on a few of my layout pics, using photos I took in Wales.

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Post by 0121modeller »

cmeonthemove wrote: photos I took in Wales....
First its google earths street level images, now its your trainspotting photo's of class 37's & 66's in Wales !..., c'mon Chris, whats the latest modelling progress on your layout ? :wink:

The engine shed looks to be coming on great, & I really like the idea of the Mercedes owner/enthusiast with the scrap Mercedes & other red Mercedes, I can see by the extra shine on the red Merc that the owner has just gave it a good wax polishing 8) .

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... =6&t=36342
guinnesskid

Post by guinnesskid »

Just read this thread from 1st to last. Very impressed. Only problem now is do I give up completely or gain inspiration. Keep an eye on e-bay just in case. lol
I'm thinking of becoming an alcoholic - It's cheaper than N gauging and not quite as taxing on my brain.
champion

Post by champion »

Happy to donate chris and you no some more goodies are being kept for you.I will always look out for latest updates to this layout even thou i am changing scale.Layouts as good as this are well worth it.Adam warr ( electra graphics ) has also seen my layout for real and has commented that the pics did,nt do it justice,he would say the same with this one although better pics have been taken.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common
Stewart Gethin

Post by Stewart Gethin »

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Think that sums this layout up^

Amazing mate.

Stew.
lairadepot

Post by lairadepot »

hi ya mate
loving the new pics
so whats going to be done on the layout next???
peter