BMR Workbench.

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
mattmay05

BMR Workbench.

Post by mattmay05 »

This is the first Workbench topic I have written about one of my conversions. I have done a couple and they have come out not too bad.

My first conversion was a Holden, Hornby 0-4-0, which has been converted to a B4, Normandy, using plasticard and spares from a J72.
Picture below.

The main Captain Baxter conversion has now been moved to the website: http://bluebell-railway.webs.com/lnydap ... ersion.htm
Last edited by mattmay05 on Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:47 pm, edited 14 times in total.
- Youtube/bluebellModelrailway
- https://railway-modeller-mw.weebly.com/
- VECTIS 3D: mademe.co.uk/shop/vectis-3d-models/
Dad-1

Re: Conversion of a Pug... to... No 3, Baxter

Post by Dad-1 »

I do like this ......
Shows the value of a good spares box.

Last time I checked on this chassis from Hornby it was quite expensive, so I think you're Dapol off ebay was a snip !!

I shall also be interested to see how you get it to run - light, short, coupled 4 ?

Anyway great project !!

Geoff T.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Nice project :) Just that bit different.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thank you for the comments above.

I know preserved railways are not that popular, but all of them do have something... A bit different... and this loco is different and is quite an interesting little loco especially to be used on the freight trains... all be i believe its been fitted with vac equipment but not sure if that is 100% correct but thats what it says on the site.

Thanks for the comments ill post up a bit more in couple of days. Thank you.
Pedanticmongrel

Post by Pedanticmongrel »

mattmay05 wrote:Thank you for the comments above.

e i believe its been fitted with vac equipment but not sure if that is 100% correct but thats what it says on the site.
You should get Tom to find out for sure for you on that one, after a recent conversation with people at the railway this seems to not be the case, it is still only usable on freight and shunting duties, but what do I know?
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Well mine hasn't as its only a model...

This is a quote from the site:
various items have needed rather more work than expected, and the opportunity is also being taken to fit steam heating and vacuum braking equipment for the first time
valve chest casting repaired, axleboxes replaced, etc), and the opportunity is also being taken to fit steam heating and vacuum braking equipment for the first time, which will enable the loco to haul occasional light passenger trains.
Wether this was carried out i do not know, but i'll be speaking with someone from the workshops in the not to distant future as i know someone who works down there.
As this is a model forum and not about the real thing back to the models.....
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

It's great to see another pug in use so well!
Lovely work.
rocketman
TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Post by TerryB »

An excellent thread .....heres looking forward to "part 2" .... and seeing the finished loco ... 8)

best regards
T.
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Thank you guys for the kind comments.

I can confirm Baxter does not have Vac system fitted as of yet, but is planned to in the not to distant future. Just to clear that up.

Part 2 of my Pug Desecration workbench topic.

Most of the major body work was done on Part one with only small details and detail to do.

The next job to do on the body was a nice simple one, all be it has a main weight in the boiler barrel; it had still lost quite a bit of the weight due to the lead weight being trimmed to fit in the tube. This in mind at least unlike the pug there were 2 nice tanks on either side of it in a central Position. These were filled with 2 squares of left over lead I had been given by a friend who got them at a builders merchants.

Last edited by mattmay05 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Great work there Mattmay05,

Have you ever thought of using fusewire for small grab handles ? Probably not robust enough for main boiler use, but easy to get dead straight lengths by rolling between two hard flat surfaces, easy enough to bend, and can be cut with a scalpel. I use 15 amp for most things. The 5 amp makes good fencing wire, and 30 amp I tend not to use much, but offers use in scenery - hand railings or such.

I'm also in much admiration at the speed you're getting this done ...... beginning to think I enjoy the planning & scheming more than my actual building !

Geoff T.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Hello Geoff

Thanks for the kind words.

I have looked at fusewire before, for hand rails and detail bits like pipes ect.. i have some nickle plated wire which is just about the right size for pipes.. something Ive yet to do for baxter, handrail wire being a guitarist... i use old guitar strings... choice of 6 different thicknesses too.. for the main cab i just use
paperclips which i will show in the next part, anyway on with the lining.

Im actually not doing this quickley..
I started it in the first week of october, ive been writting these tutorial pieces up and have been debating wether to post or not, as i usually keep it to myself but
I thought i would try. I havent planned this at all i look at a loco in RTR think what best suits it and work accordingly with no plan. Its probably in my head the plan but i have no idea what im doing, i just work of pictures most of the time, and i can visualize things.... quite handy being 2 hour drive away from the bluebell.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi Mattmay05,

I'm so pleased you did decide to post this build ....... The more activity there is in this thread the more likely others will have a try. Currently I don't have the courage to more, or less scratch build onto an existing chassis, but you're showing how it's all quite possible.

It seems railway modellers split after a while to those who enjoy creating, be it locos, scenery,rolling stock. Then the other's like collecting locos - I suppose we all do that within reason, but I get more enjoyment out of making something than buying a £150 sound loco !

Suppose both sides like just running trains .... can be quite calming ....... unless ......

Geoff T.
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Hello Geoff

Thanks for your kind words.

Yes its been getting some pretty ok feedback on various forums.
I hope more people will try to do things like this. Sadly some of the younger people seem to lack the imagination or drive to do something like this... or start a project... and get a little way through and loose interest.

If people want to have ago at kit building, try the Dapol plastic ones its a good test you can paint it, transfers use them as test pieces, or practice on them, there pretty good in that sence and not too expensive either. I will admit this kit building is not cheap! It soon adds up.

These conversions are cheap to do... i mean so far ive only spent £25 on loco and odds and ends left, if your starting from scratch then it probs cost £40 at the most.

But its enjoyable, challenging, and its a chance to get creative, and to have something unique. I will probably never exhibit any of my locos or layouts, but it must be a pleasurable expirence people taking an interest in your work and asking questions.. makes you feel proud i would imagine.

I get where your coming from on the people splitting i know a few loco kit builders from the club im a member of, and seeing RM web people building coaches just increadible and still like you i would get more enjoyment or pleasure running something ive built or created, rather than somethin just brought and renamed.

Anyway Ive just finished lining the big red machine...just waiting on lettering should be here tomorrow so i can continue writting part 3.

Regards
tom92240

Post by tom92240 »

RE: Vac Fitted comments,

This relates to the Engine only. As she was originally braked by handbrake one, the locomotive has been fitted with a more efficent brake handle to avoid rough shunting, but the locomotive will not be available for Passenger duties, only steam heated for use during the Santa period and pre-service heating.

I like the imagination on this project. A nice, essential addition to Bluebell history. Will you fit her with the cowbell? :D
mattmay05

Post by mattmay05 »

Yes I heard about it being in some sort of role over xmas period mainly steam heating, so not a suprise to hear that.

And no, no cowbell due to it being 2010 version.