Port Erth; Progress, Workbench and General Photos

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
littlenobby

Port Erth; Progress, Workbench and General Photos

Postby littlenobby » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:33 am

Port Erth; Yet another 4mm preserved Railway layout!
An intermediate Ex-GW and Southern Joint Railway station on the fictitious Cornish costal railway connecting Wadebridge and Newquay, closed by Beaching in the 1960’s, but retained by BR as a freight-only line from Newquay to the port at Port Erth until the 1990’s. It was re-opened by preservationists in stages from Port Erth to a new Terminus at Newquay (High Street) retaining the mainline connection. The layout depicts the railway’s terminus at Port Erth in the present day.
The Station consists of 2 platforms, Run-round loop, and small motive power depot on the spur of the branch which led to the Port itself, the Railway have no plans to run Towards Wadebridge, as the Newquay-Port Erth section being 10 miles in length appears to be the perfect length for holiday makers. The only downside being the accommodation for 5 coach trains at max in the loop at Port Erth. An Extension to Wadebridge involves a new Terminus in the town plus bridging many gaps left by Beaching in the 1960’s.
The Plan

The Layout: An overall View as of now:

The scenic section of the layout is 12’x2’ with a proposed fiddle yard being 6’ in length (not yet built) Trains will emerge through the wall at the top of the picture on the right hand track and thread their way into the station, there is a terminus end headshunt, and the line heading off to the left is the old branch to the Port, which will soon be the Motive Power Depot.
Track is SMP finescale, with points being peco code 75, long radius on the approach to the station, short radius for engine release. Power is DC (even though the wiring diagram was a pain in the neck to sort out) powered by a Gaugemaster Combi controller at the moment, Point Motors are to be installed at a later date too, Just want to get the track alignment sorted first of all.
Locos and Rolling Stock:
All run of the mill RTR stock re-named/numbered to preserved examples, and weathered on the underframes in accordance to photographs and inspections of the real thing.
Locos
• Bachmann 3717 City of Truro in GWR Garter Crest livery and black frames, fitted with Red GWR headlamps and fire-irons, crew and real coal to be sourced.
• Hornby Castle (new style) 7029 Clun Castle BR lined Green Double Chimney, fitted with white GWR headlamps.
• Bachmann 45xx No. 4561 BR black Early crest (Yet to be renumbered from 4560) fitted with headlamps.
• Bachmann Std tank No. 80079 in BR unlined black (painted myself) fitted with Midland style headlamps.
• Bachmann Ivatt 2MT No. 46521 in BR lined Green, fitted with headlamps.
• Hornby M7 No.53 In SR Olive Green, fitted with Southern region route Disks.
• VITrains Class 47 in RES livery.
Rolling stock
• Rake of 3 GWR collett coaches (usually mixed with 1 or 2 Choc/Cream Mk1’s to make a 5 coach rake.
• Rake of Choc/Cream Mk1’s
• Rake of Carmine/Cream Mk1’s
• Rake of Southern Region MK1’s
• Mixed Rake of Normal and Suburban Mk1’s in Maroon Livery
• Rake of SR Maunsel coaches.
• Short Goods train.
All Coaches are Bachman apart from the Maunsels which are Hornby.

Thats it for now, ask away if you have any questions, updates as and when...

Many Thanks
Tom
Last edited by littlenobby on Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

mattmay05

Re: Port Erth; Yet another 4mm preserved Railway layout!

Postby mattmay05 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:36 am

Nice to see another preserved railway on here, and they say its unpopular... :D

Looks a promising start and lots of good stock, look forward to seeing more progress as it continues.

manormadman

Postby manormadman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Never too many of us. :lol: nice layout that black framed 3717 looks beautiful
Cheers Seb
:D

Eastern
Location: Portland, Oregon. USA - originally from East Anglia

Postby Eastern » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:58 pm

What always attracts me to this thread is the introduction to the layout and the premise of a preserved railway.
Good luck with the layout - what sort of buildings wil you be using/making?
“Sir, Sunday morning, although recurring at regular and well foreseen intervals, always seems to take this railway by surprise.”
William S Gilbert

Charles

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:32 pm

why is it that the preserved railways on here have at least one loco im after ¬_¬
good start though and cannot wait to see progress!! :mrgreen:
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

littlenobby

Postby littlenobby » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:00 am

Eastern wrote:What always attracts me to this thread is the introduction to the layout and the premise of a preserved railway.
Good luck with the layout - what sort of buildings wil you be using/making?

I've started building rows of low relief Metcalfe terraced houses to act as a backdrop, Although will probably opt for ratio/wills GW kits for railway related buildings, I'm also considering the bog-standard Hornby Dunster station building to use as a base, with a good deal of bashing to make it look remotely how I want it to.
Next task, Wiring and point motors...

littlenobby

Postby littlenobby » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:26 pm

Work slowly progresses, as finances allow, I've painted the track on the one platform road in a layer of Railmatch 'Sleeper Grime', and have started on the task of wiring. Couple of photos to show you as well;
the M7 on a Brakevan up the headshunt, very reminiscent of a 'family fun week' at the Swanage Railway
46521 awaiting to depart with a train, the loco is in focus on the picture, honest!

littlenobby

Postby littlenobby » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:44 pm

Yet another update, point motors have been installed at one end (give me time on this one, my first foray into point motorisation!) and the majority of the track has been wired up and painted, making a control panel will be the next job on the list, I've also recently purchased a new Hornby Hawksworth Brake Composite in blood and custard livery, that tied with a Bachmann collett in the same livery (bought on ebay last night) and a couple of mk1's will make a very nice mixed rake I should think!
Overall view of the station end of the layout, with points out ready for motor installation!
With the points in, the class 47 indulges in a spot of carriage shunting whilst the M7 drags a demonstration goods train out of the siding.
The Hawksworth brake in all her glory, paired with a GW liveried collett 3rd for the time being.
Yet agian, behind the tender of the Castle, where one should always be!

Next jobs, control panel, finish track painting, couple more point motors at the far end of the station, ballasting, then I can think about the platforms and station buildings :)

littlenobby

Postby littlenobby » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:46 am

Although progress has been slow of late due to the Christmas period, ballasting and wiring has advanced, soon I'll be making the hole in the wall through to the fiddle yard!
Various loco's and rolling stock have also been purchased, and current ones have been improved.
First of all a Collett 3rd in Blood and Custard has been purchased to pair up with the Hawksworth, a very nice pairing they make behind the 45xx
A bachmann 76079 has been purchased, the underframe has been subtly weathered and the smokebox painted grey.
another shot of the 76'er showing headlamps attached.
Plates and emblems arrived for 4561 also, now carrying a larger version of the early crest, as carried by the real 4561. Etched plates have also been fitted.
And finally 47768 has been weathered.
I shall post pictures of the layout when more progress is evident, only ballasting has taken place, and until its all done, it doesn't look that interesting!

littlenobby

Postby littlenobby » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:19 pm

yet more progress to report, I know I don't have many followers in this thread, but it keeps me happy to update those who are watching :shock:
An overall view of a messy looking layout, ballasting done in the main station area, and the small prairie waiting on a short branch train, the approach (right hand side) is painted and awaits ballasting, whereas the quay branch and loco pit (which will be on the left) is yet to be laid properly, I'm toying with the idea of a short bay platform/cattle dock coming off the branch just before the station throat... Unsure yet though.
The 45 on the Branch local, more detail of the ballasting, I've opted for a brown colour to represent the grime of a well used railway, I may add some weeds into the mix at a later stage!
Another overall view (achieved by standing on the hoover!) showing the dismantled end of the station prior to fitting point motors, although I have a rather neat box to store my stock (far right on the sofa) I still insist on having it strewn across the layout! (Check out the re-emblemed tender on 46521, now with early crest!)

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi mate

Just happened upon your wee project for thr first time and I'm intrigued already. I am rather taken by your evident eye for detail insofaras you have obviously noticed how- due largely to previous practices and former use- the track alignment at some preserved lines can look a bit haphazard or, in some cases, utterly baffling to the untrained eye!

It's a bit like, say, the short bay at Llangollen station on the end of what was once the Eastbound platform: the stub is effectively facing the 'wrong' way and would never be built thus if the station's originalraison d'etre was merely as it is today. It's a small thing to notice but it does give it a genuine preserved railway feel :)

Actually, I wondered if there was a chance you would model the station approach to create the same effect, i.e. to model it to look like the society has installed a single track line on what was clearly once a double-track permenant way, a bit like it used to look on the GCR (long before they had made headway with the doubling of the line)? That could look excellent :D

I agree about the Collett/Hawksworth combi: they look great together and it's good that you're deliberately trying to get a mixed rake which will again give it a preservation feel.

littlenobby wrote:...although I have a rather neat box to store my stock (far right on the sofa) I still insist on having it strewn across the layout!

As is your duty, sir! Tidy stock away? In boxes? And not leave it strewn everywhere? How on earth else are you to create justifiable clutter everywhere? :wink:

(And besides which, it's not like you can hoover or anything as you're far too busy using it as a set of steps 8) )

Cheers fella, I look forward to seeing more

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

littlenobby

Postby littlenobby » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:10 am

Infrontcat wrote:
Actually, I wondered if there was a chance you would model the station approach to create the same effect, i.e. to model it to look like the society has installed a single track line on what was clearly once a double-track permenant way, a bit like it used to look on the GCR (long before they had made headway with the doubling of the line)? That could look excellent :D

Many thanks for your kind comments, as a result I will thus align the throat of the station as if it were built originally to a double track formation, with a space of wilderness between the remaining road and the 'cess'. The Tunnel out to the fiddle yard has brokethrough, and is to a double track width.
With regards to other preservation alterations commonly seen. I have reversed the crossover at the far end of the station, making the 'bang road' platform the most convenient one to use for incoming trains, due to it being the one that will host the main station buildings.

Feel free to throw out any more ideas :)

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:59 am

littlenobby wrote:I have reversed the crossover at the far end of the station, making the 'bang road' platform the most convenient one to use for incoming trains, due to it being the one that will host the main station buildings.

Wise move mate! :wink:

Glad I was of assistance mate. I think that if you take your time and get it 'just so' it could look excellent! I actually think making a convinceing modle of a preserved line can be harder!

Cheers fella, have a good weekend

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

littlenobby

Postby littlenobby » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Right, some updates, Platform 1 has been built, made of a metcalfe platform kit and the rear built up with wood to the required level, this means the street scene will sit level with the platform at the rear, as are many platforms in the world.
3717 stands at the platform, just after completion. I was disappointed at this time, my cider glass (at the rear) was empty...!
The temporary fiddle yard, this now consists of 2 roads, it'll do until the layout is more developed on the other side of the wall...
2 of the latest acquisitions, a 57xx and an 8750, will eventually become 5786 and 9642 respectively.

And have had many a visitor in terms of people and engines to the layout now I can run some decent trains... Some pics of the visitors.

manormadman

Postby manormadman » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:42 pm

Manors!! :)
Cheers Seb
:D

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”