dcc courses essex??

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
BROADTRAIN1979

Re: dcc courses essex??

Postby BROADTRAIN1979 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:28 pm

Hi upnick, well i have the 6 pin class 47 which i have mentioned on a few other forums. I used a 6pin direct lenz silver mini, had it fitted, performed brilliantly as i was using my ez at the time, it after about 3 minutses stopped, went again, stopped the ez flickering and that was that.I tried it wth the blanking plug perfect, but the decoder was no more.I was told the loco must have shorted it.This must be true as a bachman one did the same last year. So how then, is it easy to find a short :?: as i have got a replacement, but toooo scared to fit in case it blows again :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: If i had the knowledge, i would know what to do. So envy those that can :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Youll never find a 501 like mine.

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:13 pm

Hi
Dont take this wrong but why do you need to go on a course ? the wont teach you any more than being on a good forum with knowledgable members who probablt have more nous or experience than a tutor pick a good make of decoder TCS are excellent especially as they are the only manufacturer who offers a goof proof warrenty if you purchase them from John at Bromsgrove moedls he will replace damaged decoders on proof of puchase & the cost of sending the decoders back.

Sometimes it just helps to see it actually done right before you, and you get that extra confidence boost. Some of us are just about clueless when it comes to wiring and the thought of it may make some cringe. in some ways I think it can teach you more as you get the hands on there and then.

I know their is a big DCC seminar in the UK shortly and it has lots of DCC demos. I thought thats what you were talking about, let me find the link and I will post it. I know the guy who did the Hornby Zimo article will be there.

m

locoworks

Postby locoworks » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:14 pm

BROADTRAIN1979 wrote:Hi upnick, well i have the 6 pin class 47 which i have mentioned on a few other forums. I used a 6pin direct lenz silver mini, had it fitted, performed brilliantly as i was using my ez at the time, it after about 3 minutses stopped, went again, stopped the ez flickering and that was that.I tried it wth the blanking plug perfect, but the decoder was no more.I was told the loco must have shorted it.This must be true as a bachman one did the same last year. So how then, is it easy to find a short :?: as i have got a replacement, but toooo scared to fit in case it blows again :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: If i had the knowledge, i would know what to do. So envy those that can :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

unfortunately a short is more of a manufacturing error or shortcoming that should not exist with decent QC and a decent initial design. manufacturers are i suspect not doing all their homework. sad to say, but in some cases it is easier, as in you can see what is going on, if you ditch the build in PCB and socket ( which may have issues ) and just hard wire in a wired decoder to begin with so you KNOW there are no issues. being able to use a multimeter to check things is a great help. they can be bought for less than a tenner from many places. but the offer stands, PM me an email address and i will send you my 08 and 04 pics and words. it is just how i did it, there are other ways and other chips to use. personally i can't wait to get my hands on the class 14 and see if i can squeeze a chip into that?? :shock:

BROADTRAIN1979

Postby BROADTRAIN1979 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:09 pm

Flashbang wrote:Hi
Have you considered obtaining the excellent book by Ian Morton, called 'Aspects of Modelling-Digital Command Control'?
Well woth it cost as it gives very clear and details instructions.
Book at Amazon

Hi flashbang, :) for now i have ordered the Aspects dcc The 2nd edition book from amazon hopefully may help .

BROADTRAIN1979

Postby BROADTRAIN1979 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Hi locoworks, ok thank you :)

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:40 pm

BROADTRAIN1979 wrote:
Flashbang wrote:Hi
Have you considered obtaining the excellent book by Ian Morton, called 'Aspects of Modelling-Digital Command Control'?
Well worth its cost as it gives very clear and details instructions.
Book at Amazon

Hi flashbang, :) for now i have ordered the Aspects dcc The 2nd edition book from amazon hopefully may help .

Hi
I think you will find it a great help.
While it may not directly have a particular loco for DCC conversion, it tends to be, in many cases, to be very generic anyway.
While you're waiting for its delivery, I would suggest if your not overly apt at soldering you practice on some scrap pieces of wire. Of course if you are ok with soldering, then sit back and when the book arrives have a good read and enjoy it. :D

Ian Morton, if you read this forum another royalty percentage cut you owe me :wink: :wink:
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Gordon H

Postby Gordon H » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:56 pm

BROADTRAIN1979 wrote:Hi Gordon h, Thanks very much for the info, the merg in chelmsford sounds possible, :) as i live in the Epping area. Is there a website for this club meet :?:

Try looking here for contact details:
http://www.merg.org.uk/area-groups.htm#ESSEX
If you do contact Alan, feel free to mention my name.
The Group is exhibiting at the Colchester show on the 31st Oct if you can make it far enough up the A12. :)

BROADTRAIN1979

Postby BROADTRAIN1979 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi, thanks gordon, I may join the merg and see how it goes. Again thanks :)

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:13 pm

Gordon H wrote:
BROADTRAIN1979 wrote:Hi Gordon h, Thanks very much for the info, the merg in chelmsford sounds possible, :) as i live in the Epping area. Is there a website for this club meet :?:

Try looking here for contact details:
http://www.merg.org.uk/area-groups.htm#ESSEX
If you do contact Alan, feel free to mention my name.
The Group is exhibiting at the Colchester show on the 31st Oct if you can make it far enough up the A12. :)

I hope they have a bigger venue this year. We went last year and it was hard to see anything up close as there wasn't enough room for the layouts, traders and public lol
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

BROADTRAIN1979

Postby BROADTRAIN1979 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:09 pm

Hi, I have now recieved my aspects of digital command control ,which i have read and seems like a great book. A great deal of info, but isnt the digi hat supposed to be for split chassis farish locos :?: as it doesnt state this for isolation, to the loco in the book :? :?:
ps: flashbang, what is your view on the ztc 505 if i may ask :)

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:24 pm

BROADTRAIN1979 wrote:<Snip>
ps: flashbang, what is your view on the ztc 505 if i may ask :)

I haven't got one, but ZTC equipment was rated highly many years ago. But the company failed to move forward and update their kit to overcome some of the issues there was with it. They also had very poor customer relation.

ZTC has in the recent couple or so years had two new owners (one was actually a sort of caretaker roll).

I hope the latest owners pull their fingers out and up grade their units and offer improved customer service/relations!

If you like desk style consoles and are happy with that and accept there may be some small issues with other DCC equipment (That's what I understand the problems are/were?) then use it by all means it, its supposed to be good.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

BROADTRAIN1979

Postby BROADTRAIN1979 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:46 pm

thanks flashbang :) As my dad has never had any issues with it and the new ztc website looks promising. They do a psu 12 volt power source if using 'n' gauge which i will be, as dad is waiting for the 511 he ordered on sunday. I believe they are going to be at warley, so i will ask them for the upgrades on to the older version of the 505.I am studying the dcc aspects book :wink:

Return to “DCC Forum”