Diesel Hydraulic Memories

Discuss real world railway operations in this forum. Find out how to make your model railway as accurate as possible.
Valentascream

Re: Diesel Hydraulic Memories

Post by Valentascream »

my dad has got quite good memories as he grew up in the 70s, when hymeks and westerns were still just about plodding on with freights and expresses. The when the 37s and 50s took over most of their duties.
Favourite LMS (LNWR) Loco class-Bowen Cooke Claughton 4-6-0
Favourite GWR Loco class-Armstrong Metro Tank 2-4-0t or Churchward Star 4-6-0
Favourite LNER Loco class-Peppercorn A2 4-6-2
Favourite Southern Loco class-Bulleid Q1 0-6-0
50035 Ark Royal

Post by 50035 Ark Royal »

Well as i said at least Western fans had the luck that thier favourite class was took over by something equaly impressive fast and loads of noise and chrachter.Us Vac fans were not so lucky as our fave class was replaced by strumming devises :roll: probably the most boring and non descrpit loco ever built aprat from the 66's :lol:
Ian
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal
champion

Post by champion »

Also not forgetting that the 47 had a large part as well as the intro of the H.S.T of the demise of the westerns.The western by then was out numbered and run down but could still give sterling service and in some cases prevered.Also to this day still has,nt been beaten on putting so much traffic effort down on the rail hence many a stone train being hauled.A powerfull loco that was finished to early but will nether be forgotten.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

6C wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:what a load of rubbish..
I liked them but everybodies entitled to their opinion ....!

Don't get me started on 47's however......
Erm no, you typed a load of rubbish, not an opinnion.
Dead Man's Handle

Post by Dead Man's Handle »

D605Eagle wrote:
6C wrote:
D605Eagle wrote:what a load of rubbish..
I liked them but everybodies entitled to their opinion ....!

Don't get me started on 47's however......
Erm no, you typed a load of rubbish, not an opinnion.
What a splendid contribution to the discussion, D605Eagle!

Lesser mortals might be expected to say why they disagree with something, but I'm sure your stature is such that your scorn requires not even a smidgen of explanation in order to be fascinating to all.

Did you perhaps hone your skills by commenting on youtube videos?
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!
Valentascream

Post by Valentascream »

dead mans handle,
you're hardly on the forum at all and all you do is moan. :evil:
Favourite LMS (LNWR) Loco class-Bowen Cooke Claughton 4-6-0
Favourite GWR Loco class-Armstrong Metro Tank 2-4-0t or Churchward Star 4-6-0
Favourite LNER Loco class-Peppercorn A2 4-6-2
Favourite Southern Loco class-Bulleid Q1 0-6-0
bike2steam

Post by bike2steam »

I remember the first 'Westerns' coming out new, it filled me with dread, as it meant my beloved 'Kings' were about to retire :cry: .
D605Eagle

Post by D605Eagle »

Dead Man's Handle wrote:
What a splendid contribution to the discussion, D605Eagle!

Lesser mortals might be expected to say why they disagree with something, but I'm sure your stature is such that your scorn requires not even a smidgen of explanation in order to be fascinating to all.

Did you perhaps hone your skills by commenting on youtube videos?
Its nothing to do with agreeing or dissagreeing to somebodies opinnion or not, what it is is a matter of facts. You either type correct facts, or rubbish. I'll let your feeble brain work out the rest, I expect even you can manage that.
Dead Man's Handle

Post by Dead Man's Handle »

Valentascream wrote:dead mans handle,
you're hardly on the forum at all and all you do is moan. :evil:
Nice to know I'm missed! I shall endeavor to be around more often now that you've shown your appreciation :)
D605Eagle wrote:Its nothing to do with agreeing or dissagreeing to somebodies opinnion or not, what it is is a matter of facts. You either type correct facts, or rubbish.
My point was that if someone says something that's incorrect, then why not say why it is incorrect, if you indeed know? Just saying that something is "rubbish" (and then mindlessly repeating yourself) is of no use to anyone.
D605Eagle wrote:I'll let your feeble brain work out the rest, I expect even you can manage that.
Perhaps one day, if I study hard, then I may find myself in possession of debating methods which are as dazzlingly sophisticated as shouting "Rubbish!" at people I disagree with. Any tips on how I could master such a technique, given that it seems frightfully complicated to my distinctly modest faculties?
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!
champion

Post by champion »

What a pity that this thread also has been hit by some bickering between members and should of been as post states hydraulic memories in which the bickering had nothing to do with this thread.Sad. :( Back on the thread i have bad memories of D1055 the worcester tunnel crash victim but would like to keep to good memories only.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common
champion

Post by champion »

Happy memories for me mainly at old oak common 1975 to 77.On one day 22/3/75 i see my 1st laira paint job on what a western was like clean.D1051 western ambassador came in hauling D1026/D1033 light engine and compared to the other 2 D1051 looked very shiny.As they backed in to the depot D1049 hurried past with a train from paddington met by D1037 coming in from the west.All in a space of 10mins.Old oak on this day still had 8 hymeks on shed although all withdrawn.Other westerns seen on the day were D1063 and D1069.I have many a child hood past from this depot and often stood on the little foot bridge just of the canal wall near the cross london freight line.Any one remember the chocalate factory near by.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common
50035 Ark Royal

champion wrote:Happy memories for me mainly at old oak common 1975 to 77.On one day 22/3/75 i see my 1st laira paint job on what a western was like clean.D1051 western ambassador came in hauling D1026/D1033 light engine and compared to the other 2 D1051 looked very shiny.As they backed in to the depot D1049 hurried past with a train from paddington met by D1037 coming in from the west.All in a space of 10mins.Old oak on this day still had 8 hymeks on shed although all withdrawn.Other westerns seen on the day were D1063 and D1069.I have many a child hood past from this depot and often stood on the little foot bridge just of the canal wall near the cross london freight line.Any one remember the chocalate factory near by.

richard.
Hi Richard been to Laira and around it many times but i do not remeber a Chocolate factory what i do rember is a spotters area and in the last times i went there 1991/92 lines of 50's on the scrap line all awaiting thier fate :( which for many was not a happy one :cry:
champion

Post by champion »

Ian
The chocalate factory was i believe was between willesden jctn and old oak common if not seen was always smelt and not laira as you have said.May have gone by the time you visited old oak.I can always remember my 1st visit there and it was my 1st sighting of hymeks.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
R.I.P Old oak common
50035 Ark Royal

champion wrote:Ian
The chocalate factory was i believe was between willesden jctn and old oak common if not seen was always smelt and not laira as you have said.May have gone by the time you visited old oak.I can always remember my 1st visit there and it was my 1st sighting of hymeks.

richard.
Whoops sorry Richard just read what you said, where did i get Laira from? :oops: must have been daydreaming.Regarding Old Oak Common i first visited September 1985 at the open day and i think the chocolate factory had gone.Obviously Old Oak had many happy memories for me as a certain Vac :wink: and others i rated were allocated there.Great depot and sadly missed :( but never forgotten.
6M35Kingsbury

Post by 6M35Kingsbury »

Hi there everyone, yep, once again, I know this is a pretty old thread, forgive me, I only joined recently!!! Anyway, my Diesel Hydraulic Memories are as follows .... A good number of years ago, I moved with my parents up from Northolt to a sleepy little village called Chinnor. Now after a while I made friends at school, and in the school holidays, and on Saturday mornings, much clanging and general hubbub could be heard across the village from the direction of the Chinnor Cement Works. I can't remember when exactly it was, but sometime in the early 1970's, I ventured forth to the cement works, and my LOVE of Hymeks, was born!!!! She was sitting there, so proud, grimy but proud, and a wonderful rhythmic bass beat from her V16 Maybach heart ..... I stood transfixed by this, to me as a 7 - 8 year old, this beast of a diesel loco, snorted a cloud of jet black exhaust, and with a BR brake van in tow, snarled off in the direction of Thame Junction. I saw Hymeks at Chinnor a few times after that, but sadly only a very few ..... usually a class 31 had the coals to Chinnor in its charge.

My second Hydraulic memory, and it is going back to maybe 1969 or just into 1970, was at a very small village called Stowford, just outside Yeovil Junction ...... on morning, like at Chinnor, what was that ....... that wonderful ''roar'' coming from the railway ( Exeter Central - London Waterloo route ) rushing out into my Aunties garden, a rounded front loco appeared, grimy, peeling maroon paint, but handsome and again, proud, so proud, I now know this of course was a D800 Warship, the only two I have seen since are the preserved ones ...... MAGNIFICENT!!!!

My third Hydraulic memory, was during the school summer holidays, and someone had the good foresight to organise rail trips, known to us as ''The Chinnor Chuffer''!!!! So, one such day we arrive at Princes Riseborough railway station to be met by a platform lines with BR Blue / Grey mk1 stock ........ and a fine looking BR Blue and full yellow end's loco at the London end ..... I sadly don't recall much of the journey, oh, we were going to Weston - super - Mare, on the way are TWO things that I vividly remember tho. One, was looking though the BR 21 Key, keyhole at he front of the front coach and watching this magnificent Western class 52 ( I know that now, I didn't then!! ) bouncing around ..... just superb!!!! My second memory of this trip, was a beloved Hymek in a bay platform ( Reading General?? ) with a class 08 in front of it ...... I remember just being SOOOOOOO EXCITED ..... as by then I had my own Triang Hornby BR blue model!!!!

Oh, while I've been down memory lane with this, I also remember a trip up to London, think it was to London Zoo, but I can't be sure, anyway, on arrival back at Paddington Station, there at the bufferstops, in the platform nearest the underground lines, sat a Hymek ....... a beloved Hymek, I can remember saying to my Mum, look, Ive got one of those ........ and soooooo wanting to stop and take in its grimy, quiet beauty, but was ushered along with ''Come on, or we will miss our train"!!!! How I now WISH we HAD missed our train ....... it was an all over blue DMU from what I remember ....