New Model Shop in Peterborough

What do you want from a model railway shop?
son of triangman

New Model Shop in Peterborough

Postby son of triangman » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:14 pm

Hi Guys

Anyone know where the big new ModelZone superstore is going to be in Peterborough? They are advertising in the Peterborough Evening Telegraph for staff at the moment so I wonder where they will be sited as the advert doesn't say.

I ask as I fancy going along to see if there are any opening bargains going.

champion

Re: New Model Shop in Peterborough

Postby champion » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:58 pm

News to me,no idea.

richard
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:01 pm

It is a mystery, they had a recruitment add in the Peterborough ET but it doesn't say where the new store is going to be.

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:24 pm

I wouldn't hold your breath. No opening morning offers at the Birmingham store last month. They did have all the Bachmann TPOs in stock tho'. Strangely, no queue of modellers, railways or otherwise, either! Very low key affair.

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:36 pm

It was the same with the new ModelZone in Norwich, very little in the way of offers, and they haven't started stocking N gauge yet either.

champion

Postby champion » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:42 pm

Trains4u hav,nt mentioned it either and they had a very good open day 2day which included an n gauge layout with a farish class 24 with sound fitted alas done in australia and a cost of £400.Will add that trains4u on these open days do bargains and class 37s in 00 vitrains all at £40 but no class 50s on offer/damm.

richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:06 am

Sounds like it's not worth going to the opening by the sound of it. Would have thought a Modelzone superstore would have had opening offers. Looking for a second class 50 at the moment for my collection but they are going for silly money on fleabay at present and no one in the trade I know has one in stock at a sensible price. Won't be bothering with T4U's opening days for personal reasons.

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:06 pm

triangman wrote: Won't be bothering with T4U's opening days for personal reasons.

Mind you don't fall into your saucer of milk there triangman :wink:

Now then! ...on the subject of Modelzone opening in Peterborough and a handful of other locations, the FT a had a small section on them a little while back which caught my eye, i recall, something about delayed openings owing to managerial and staff probs with the summer holidays and work regulations etc. they will be opening up planned branches though. :)

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:59 pm

Ahem! Just said I won't be bothering to go to the T4U open days for personal reasons, Terrier, I personally wouldn't give them the time of day. Totally up to me where I spend my cash of course, as I'm sure you appreciate old buddy.

Yes indeed Modelzone is a growing concern, the store in Peterborough is reported to be a new big superstore with a whole floor for model railways or so the rummours go, might be worth having a look.

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:05 pm

champion wrote:Trains4u hav,nt mentioned it either and they had a very good open day 2day which included an n gauge layout with a farish class 24 with sound fitted alas done in australia and a cost of £400.Will add that trains4u on these open days do bargains and class 37s in 00 vitrains all at £40 but no class 50s on offer/damm.

richard.

Some pics over on RMweb. Looked a good do.

ERMick

Postby ERMick » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:33 pm

It was a very good do, yes. We went along at about 3 o'clock, into the last hour and there were still quite a few people there.

And if it's true that Runswick Leamside is now a permanent layout in the shop (all 32 foot of it), that'll be an excellent addition.

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:01 am

Terrier wrote:
triangman wrote: Won't be bothering with T4U's opening days for personal reasons.

Mind you don't fall into your saucer of milk there triangman :wink:

The bulley strikes again :roll: :roll:
Hi Paul yes 50's are going for silly money on ebay at the moment a body shell of 50009 Conqueror which i was hoping to get for 50016 went well over my price range the samne amout that my complete loco of Vanguard went for :roll: and the weathering was not that good.
Is it an unrefurbished blue one you are looking for or a refurbished one in lovely Large Logo livery?
good luck
Ian
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:26 pm

ERMick wrote:And if it's true that Runswick Leamside is now a permanent layout in the shop (all 32 foot of it), that'll be an excellent addition.

32 foot!! :shock: :D that's what all model shops need, remember as a small boy (before i grew up into a nashtee orrid bulley-boy lol) in Gosport there was amodel shop in an arcade that had a marklin layout in the window, it was either N gauge or Z gauge, running around mountains, through tunnels and over bridges and deep gorges, captured my imagination, definately a good way forward for the hobby if Modelzone are doing this in other stores to, nothing captures a nippers imagination better than a trainset, especially these days when all their imagination is pretty much taken care of for them with computer games, also i guess can restoke the fire of fill up the diesel tank/charge the generators of people who might pick up the hobby again from their childhood.

top stuff. :D

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:31 pm

Straying from Peterborough onto shops with layouts & stuff in them I should mention The Gas Cupboard in Westury.
They manage to have a layout or two on display and also do evening workshops in making things. It's not a big shop either.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:31 pm

Hi Ian

I'm looking for a nice BR Blue pre tops example hopefully without the ciricuit board fault of some of the early ones. It needs to be mint boxed in a mintish box with all the bits present. Sadly EBay seems to have gone class 50 crazy at present and prices are silly for secondhand examples, so will msot likely buy a new one, I missed the issue of the D421 alas and my example has gone back to Hornby after an hour of running in, it was hauling a few wagons and smoke appeared from the loco and a lick of flame could be seen from inside the cab, so the big H have got it back for repair.

Return to “Model Railway Shop”