Smokey Joe Conversion

Have any questions or tips and advice on how to build those bits that don't come ready made.
richrailway

Smokey Joe Conversion

Post by richrailway »

During a drunken ebay session I bidded on and bought for £6 a Hornby Smokey Joe loco. It was described as non working but after cleaning out all the pet hair and bent the contacts back it worked a treat.

However my layout (new one details soon) isn't going to be steam and decided to convert it to a diesel dockyard shunter.

The pistons were cut off and replaced with steps. A new body was constructed out of plasticard loosely based on dockyard shunters I have seen around the country. Its still a bit rough and needs to be cleaned up a bit and some bits filled and given a coat of paint. I'll post some finished pics soon. It will also be converted to DCC.

New body

it still needs to be painted (obviously), some details picked out like window frames, handrails applied, glazed and working rear lights fitted and wired up to the DCC decoder.
Because rules are rules. Where would we be without rules, that's right FRANCE!
richrailway

Re: Smokey Joe Conversion

Post by richrailway »

Painted and almost finished..
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Nice job there - I like the scratchbuilt cab.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
kiwitram

Post by kiwitram »

looks cool, I would have a go but my mum& dad would kill me!!! :shock:
richrailway

Post by richrailway »

Finished, still to add rear lights and maybe a headlight. I glazed it and fitted a pair of horns that I had from a old broken loco. The DCC decoder has been fitted and set up I'm impressed with how smooth the loco runs I might need to tweak some of the CV values as it is way too quick.

Might have to try and find some waterslide transfers for it to complete it
hobby boy

Post by hobby boy »

wow that is a huge transformation!! But one thing i can say is that it does look a bit "plasticy"

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I like this. A nice and well executed conversion. You will find it will improve with the more little details that are painted. Its very nice to find little projects like this. (I know its an old thread).
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

I've seen this done before in narrow gauge- with an O or G-scale body built over the hornby chassis. Best conversion I can remember was a Bachmann 08 converted into a O-16.5 centre-cab diesel, using much of the bodywork and a scratch-built cab. Would be a good use for the old Hornby model which used a wholly-inaccurate chassis.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I have adapted a Lima 09 chassis to fit a kit body... It may have been quicker to scratchbuild! :lol:

And I have done an easy Smokey Joe conversion, but into a steam locomotive instead.

The Hornby class 06 or the Mainline/Replica/Bachmann clas 03's (Or the Bachmann class 04) all look like ideal candidates for 7mm narrow gauge conversions.