I think that a lot of stuff is overpriced...

What do you want from a model railway shop?

Is old stuff overpriced?

yes, down with collectors!
35%
probably
22%
not sure/don't care
31%
probably not
7%
no, old is valuable
5%

Total votes: 55

tuxychuff

I think that a lot of stuff is overpriced...

Postby tuxychuff » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:30 pm

I think that a lot of old stuff is overpriced as "collectabe/vintage/classic/etc" where it should be priced as "old/outdated/worn out/etc"
what do other people think?
Last edited by tuxychuff on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sprintex

Re: I think that a lot of stuff is overpriced...

Postby Sprintex » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:19 pm

Couldn't vote, couldn't find the option for "does it matter? if you don't want it, don't buy it and stop moaning" :wink:

tuxychuff wrote:what do over people think?

What are "over people" ???

Paul

tuxychuff

Postby tuxychuff » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:43 pm

Sprintex wrote:Couldn't vote, couldn't find the option for "does it matter? if you don't want it, don't buy it and stop moaning" :wink:

just use the "don't care" option and actually not everything that comes second-hand is available new. I'd like to be able to buy that stuff :!:
Sprintex wrote:What are "over people" ???

fixed, drated spell checker

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:49 pm

Plenty of stuff I want/wanted that's not available new either. Anything is only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay for it - be it on an auction site or in a shop. I've lost out on stuff I was bidding on on eBay because someone was prepared to shell out more money, good luck to them!! On that basis if someone else is prepared to pay more for it than you are, tough titty you lose :mrgreen:

Paul

Speed Whisker

Postby Speed Whisker » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:58 pm

I'm not too happy when certain locos - in certain liveries - are released as special limited editions which means that they will be almost 'twice the price' of the same locos in the commonly available liveries and also that they will sell out quickly. The same goes for wagons. I've seen Bachmann 14T tank wagons go for £25 on eBay just because they're limited edition models.
It has to be collectors that go for these rather than railway modellers.

Special limited edition = money spinner IMHO. :wink:
Why are the locos I want, in the liveries I want, always either non existent, out of stock, discontinued or collectors club only/limited editions?

I used to be with it, but now what I'm with is no longer it and what's it is somehow strange and confusing.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:06 pm

A used price has to be objective, based on availability and condition, as well as the likely demand
Equally if the item is from a trader then it is going to be much higher than from a private seller

If you don't like the price then go elsewhere
If you like what you see then haggle
I have NEVER paid the displayed price for stock at a traders stand, there are so many tricks to use...
"I've only got £9 on me"
"No way, I'm not paying £12 when I can order one online for £10"
"The box is worth nil, as I am going to actually have it running, so how much for it without the box?"
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

tuxychuff

Postby tuxychuff » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:11 pm

I once got stuff cheap because I was a kid and the trader thought that all kids are stony broke, he got a bit disconcerted when I spent my savings of £75 (Modern value).
Or even because I asked the trader interesting questions! :D

Oh yes, limited editions are another pet hate of mine I don't think a manufacturer should deliberately not make enough of something and over price it. Surely they could make the same profit by making lots and selling them all at a reasonable price :roll:

Brianetta

Postby Brianetta » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:04 am

I'm new to model railways. It was something of a shock to me to find out that second hand stuff is no cheaper than new stuff. There's hardly any point buying something second hand if it's hardly any cheaper, especially since buying new means you get a warranty, not to mention legal rights with respect to merchantability.

It's just a disappointment to me that most second hand stuff I've seen is barely worth lifting out of the rubbish bin.

Ebay's an interesting (read, irritating) way to look for stock. All model railway stuff is under "Collectables." I don't want "collectable," I want "works properly." Unfortunately, there's just the one category, so all the stuff I'd like is scattered through pages and pages of junk.

live-frog

Postby live-frog » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:23 am

Collectables and limited editions are only collectable & limited if people will pay inflated prices.

Limited Edition is a modern scurge.
Class 47 , limited edition , really !!!!!!
I can understand an unique loco like Deltic being a viable LimED but a common loco with a different name badge.... just aimed directly at the GREEDY by the WILY who think they'll turn a few quid , long may they fail.

I have to chuckle at people who buy LimED stuff and then modify it ? Surely this invalidates the LimEd badge AND if they have the skill to modify , why start with a LimED ?

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:41 am

I don't understand you all getting wound up about limited editions... yes, they well be more expensive... but if people are prepared to pay those prices then that keeps the prices of the ordinary stuff at a reasonable level... If you don't like the price, don't buy it, and if you want that livery and can't afford it then buy the cheaper one and repaint it!!

The only complaint I would have is about traders calling things "collectors items" or "rare" simply because they don't know what they have got or think they can rip people off... its a discussion I've had with SoT before now... there are decent traders out there but also some real rip-off merchants, just a shame the rip-off merchants seem to get hold of the stuff I want! :roll:

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:46 am

You should try continental stuff... most of it is limited production run and prices are very high to start with

Preordered 2 nscale fleischman loco sets... the price? €1090 :shock:

Granted one does have goods wagons with DCC operated doors :D
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

tuxychuff

Postby tuxychuff » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:08 am

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:Granted one does have goods wagons with DCC operated doors :D

Some time ( :lol: ) I'm going to have a go at a small layout with everything working: full loco lighting and smoke generators and sound and working doors and signals and moving cars and stuff! :)
A big one would be even better but would take forever to build :evil: come to think of it though.... :twisted: :lol:

Speed Whisker

Postby Speed Whisker » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:21 pm

b308 wrote: if you want that livery and can't afford it then buy the cheaper one and repaint it!!

That's a fair comment - if you have both the skill and the time. Some people haven't unfortunately and a repainted model rarely looks as good as a factory product IMHO.
Why are the locos I want, in the liveries I want, always either non existent, out of stock, discontinued or collectors club only/limited editions?

I used to be with it, but now what I'm with is no longer it and what's it is somehow strange and confusing.

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:51 pm

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:You should try continental stuff... most of it is limited production run and prices are very high to start with

Eh? Most of their stuff is normal production runs, they do have limited editions which are pricey, but most of their ordinary stuff is pricey anyhow, but also far better quality than all but the most recent of British stuff! And they do have cheap stuff as well for starter sets.

Its worth bearing in mind that a lot of their "pricey" stuff is for limited markets, such as the Rheingold set... or, in my case, Czech liveried U37s... because they are unlikely to sell as many as them as the ordinary stuff I'd expect the prices to reflect that... and that would surely also apply to British stuff?!

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:15 pm

Cant disagree on the quality of the german made stuff, I have some locos from the 70s that I bought on ebay and they run as well as if not better than most of the new UK stuff I bought a few years back.
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Return to “Model Railway Shop”