Layout Sounds ...... splitting stereo into 2 x mono ?

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Dad-1

Layout Sounds ...... splitting stereo into 2 x mono ?

Postby Dad-1 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:33 pm

Probably should spend time trying things, but as usual tend to ask for help without switching brain on !!

I've been wondering about using a small portable stereo CD player to drive miniture speakers in both a church (well chapel) and local pub. All the basic components can be had from Maplins for under a tenner. However I've been wondering how I can record the chapel on one channel and the pub on the other, keeping separate sounds ? I can make tapes still and have the ability to turn that into a CD, but splicing two different recordings into one ??
Has anybody tried it, and if so how did you do it ? I'm also concerned about the level of channel separation, will there be too much 'shadow' ??

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Son-1

Re: Layout Sounds ...... splitting stereo into 2 x mono ?

Postby Son-1 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:07 pm

Get The sound files and I can put them into one. I have a program called Audacity for recording instruments and mixing them into separate tracks. I may be able to find some tracks to use though during the week.
Stephen T

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:17 pm

I've checked and there are loads of church bell sound on the web and I've even found 'light rain' for the morris men (assuming it's set on a bank holiday) :)
Stephen T

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:33 pm

If the tape is a cassette machine keep it out of the operation. The cross talk between tracks is abysmal. You'd be ok with a decent reel to reel recorder but every small device these days can record short bits of sound. eg I can use laptop, mobile phone, MP3 player, SD card video camera, compact and DSLR cameras. Audacity is free to download, you just have to figure out what's going on with it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

guinnesskid

Postby guinnesskid » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:06 pm

Another top free recording studio is www.reaper.fm It has lots of studio type functions to help split your tracks and you will get no channel bleed at all. I have used it for lots of my 4 track tape to mp3 conversions
I'm thinking of becoming an alcoholic - It's cheaper than N gauging and not quite as taxing on my brain.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:29 pm

Sound forge is one I have used in the past its quite old but its made by sony
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:54 pm

Stephen T

Speed Whisker

Postby Speed Whisker » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:02 pm

I have an mp3 of Bow bells pealing which sounds good. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.
Why are the locos I want, in the liveries I want, always either non existent, out of stock, discontinued or collectors club only/limited editions?

I used to be with it, but now what I'm with is no longer it and what's it is somehow strange and confusing.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:15 pm

Hi Son-1 and speed whisker,

That's roughly the idea ..... although the bells there are not suitable for a church/chapel with just a single bell tower. I'm a bit rivet counterish as I'll want a single bell of somewhat higher pitch (smaller). The singing and organ music again that's the idea, but needs to be matched more to a small village building. For pub sounds I do have a few folk records, sea shanties on my 1964 Steve Benbow LP probably be fine.
Thanks for the offer speed whisker, but I'll be looking for a simple dong .... dong .... dong .... dong .... dong sound which can then fade out to be followed by track 2 of weak hymn singing.

At the moment I'm stalled for a while as I have to repair damage caused by a pheasant yesterday - split the front bumper. Being a modeller I have various grades of superglue, filler, multiple grades of wet 'n dry, grey primer and clear lacquer ....... but had to spend £12.99 at Halfords for a 'custom mix' spray can of my topcoat colour. They don't have my colour in their standard range now - and the cars only 2002.
My problem now is that it's a little too windy, too cool, and humidity also too high, but at least it's not looking too bad so far.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Return to “Electronics”