Gav's Train Set

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Spavo

Gav's Train Set

Postby Spavo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:22 am

Welcome to my thread guys, I hope this is a successful build after the last couple of layouts have hit problems pretty early on.

So I am out of the dingy, damp basement room where my layout's used to be and after much bribery and cajoling have managed to persuade my son to let me use his spare bedroom for my layout in the future. Of course a cash transaction was required to secure the room but hey ho, a small price to pay for the luxury for a workroom with a window, no damp and no threat of demolition due to external parties.

After much help and assistance in the forums regarding baseboards and the like this is where I am right now...

As is usual for me I am going with 12mm mdf with many batons underneath, both screwed onto wall brackets and plenty of legs to stop sagging.

Then after all the joins have been glued tight the whole surface is covered with 6mm polystyrene, the joins taped over and the whole surface painted in grey.

I have added sheets of 15cm high hardboard to the whole of the back of the boards, I will not be having photographic backscenes on this layout, instead I will making backscenes of actual modelling such as a pathway, a rock face, low relief housing and the like.

I am very happy with the boards so far and they certainly look ready to go, the small inner wall of polystyrene is just to create an edge and stop scenic scatters falling on the floor, I will detail these walls as I work around the layout.

So the boards on the sides are a total of just over 4 metres long and 90cm wide.

The boards at the ends are a little under 3 metres wide and 60cm deep.

A good size for me and I'm pretty excited about getting started.

I'll update soon with a proposed track plan, as usual I'll be going DCC with my ramshackle selection of stock in OO, I'm leaving the N gauge alone for a while....that's for another time.

Thanks for looking,

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976

Raider

Re: Gav's Train Set

Postby Raider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:10 am

Good to see you cracking on Gav - looks like a nice enough space in OO, but would have been even better in N :wink:

Just one quick question about this photo

Spavo wrote:Image

Where do the doors go?

If it's the outside world, will you be having a removable section or is it a duck under? (sorry, that's 2 questions)

Chris

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:51 am

So onto the track plan then....as usual I am pretty sure as to what I like but this time would like to do something a little different than my normal roundy-roundy's.....

I have split the boards into four sections to make for easy planning, or easier planning I should say.

I will be having 2 circuits, a must for me to sit back and watch the trains stretch their legs, added into this I am going to have 2 terminus stations, one each side of the board and also a branch line feeding over the outer mainline, crossing over both of them at the window end of the layout with it's own halt and a couple of sidings.

This is the right hand side of the layout, 2 main lines, the feed for the branch line and the loco and diesel stablings. The two lines on the left are the main lines, they rise after the crossovers to a height of 8cm going down towards the window, the gradient I have measured to be at very close to 1 in 40 which is acceptable.

The terminus station will form around the 3 longer lines in the middle, for drawing purposes these anyrail photo's are quite schematic, the actual lines will be a lot more curvy with a liberal use of flexi.

This is the door end of the layout that holds the twin crossovers for the main lines, as both lines wil be bi-directional these crossovers will allow me to run from both of the mainlines into either of the platforms in the stations. The other line is a linkline bewteen the two stations and yards.

Here is the left hand side of the layout, similar to the right but has the branchline appearing on the far right and joining the outer loop at the station junction. The station area will again be a terminus but this time with the freight yard to the side of the station.

I have tried to leave quite deliberately any number of small random sidings across the layout for goods bays, small industry buildings and the like.

Finally here is the window end of the layout which shows the branchline running behind the elevated mainlines, there could be quite a few differences to this section with regard to a couple of sidings being outside the running line rather than inside as shown but I'll see how it goes.

What will appear here tho is a small branch station with loading dock and passing loop, the way the branch interacts with the mainline will slightly restrict running as it won't be completely independent but it should still give me an extra dimension.

So that's pretty much it for now, I have most of the track I need from my old layout, they are all in good nick so should be fine, I am waiting for a few extra points to arrive and a box of flexi and I should be able to get on with it.

Comment away, especially on the left hand and right hand boards if you can see any improvements to the track plan, I know for instance that you can't access the 2 inner platforms from the outer mainline, this was deliberate as another set of switch points made the platforms too short, this is where the pairs of crossovers will come in at the top of the layout.

Also, I have intentionally left a lot of the board bare, in the past I have been guilty of covering every square available inch with trackwork, this time, although the layout still looks quite busy, I hope I have left enough room to get all my scenic items in...

If you can see anything though that could be better, without adding pointwork to my bill I'd be very greatful to hear it.

All the best,

Gav.

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:58 am

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the visit, I am sticking to OO with this one as I have so much stock in OO gauge, not much stock in N and can't afford to spend too much!

N would've have been monster on this board though! lol!

Those doors are a wardrobe....built in, I basically emptied everything from the room into the wardrobe and then built the boards in front, of course I made sure that my son didn't need any of it 1st......and it's too late now!

It is going to be a duck under though, as only I will be going into the room I can easily get down under 90cm so not a problem....the boards cross the walkway into the room and typical me being lazy I just went with getting on my hands and knee's for a few seconds rather than a hinged section....

Thanks mate, it's great to be back building again.

Gav.

Raider

Postby Raider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:11 pm

Good to see you back and building mate - might just give me the kick I need to make some time and ascend into the loft.

I should have known you'd have it all covered - don't blame you on the duck under. Easier construction that way.

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:07 pm

Nice plans,

Didnt spot it in your post, what Era is it??

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:22 pm

Era? Erm well............I run mostly steamers with a few blue/green diesels, you'll have to excuse my hotch potch of rolling stock in differing liveries and periods, I just kind of run what I like the look of, sorry.....you'll see what I mean when the stock makes an appearance.....

Thanks,

Gav.

Durseytu
Location: Trying to make progress on the layout... pigs will fly (hohoho)

Postby Durseytu » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:38 pm

Doesn't really matter what you run, it's up to you at the end of the day. Sounds like you run pretty much the same sort that I do. Sounds then like the scenery then will be around late era steam early diesel 50s/60s.

Oh and by the way, lining your baseboard is a very smart idea. I had no end of problems with glue dripping through on mine! :o

Cheers,

Stuart.
ImageImage

sishades

Postby sishades » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:35 pm

Whats this? No little helpers Gav? Most dissapointed.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Raider

Postby Raider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:42 pm

Maybe he's locked them in the wardrobe and they can't get out.

joshing_man

Postby joshing_man » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:36 am

Good to see you on the move already Gav. Well done to the son for letting you invade his privacy. Be interesting when you want to saty late and he wants to kick you out!!

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):

Itsonlyme

Postby Itsonlyme » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:22 am

Spavo wrote:Era? Erm well............I run mostly steamers with a few blue/green diesels, you'll have to excuse my hotch potch of rolling stock in differing liveries and periods, I just kind of run what I like the look of, sorry.....you'll see what I mean when the stock makes an appearance.....

Thanks,

Gav.

I dont think you need to excuse anything, at the end of the day its your hard earned cash, you should spend it on the trains you want and the coaches you like, im exactly the same, i only run what i like the look of, i just happen not to like the look of most diesels (i do however like the look of the 4 car cep), hell i only run british steam on my mine and i have the torando running with the rest of mine, exactly how big is this layout btw? good start, looking forward to the updates

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:49 am

I am sure there will be helpers along the way at some stage.....keep 'em peeled!

Glad to see people are taking a look, thanks for your support.....

Oh yeah and the size, itsonlyme, sorry, it's 300cm x 60cm deep at the ends, 400cm x 90cm deep at the sides, quite a good size and the widest I can reach to thanks to Lofty giving me a load of help on another thread....I just need to make sure I could reach into the corners ok....seems to be fine.....

Gav.

rosenblad

Postby rosenblad » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:56 am

Your new layout looks great! I'll be following this with great interest! :D
Carpe Diem!

Spavo

Postby Spavo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:00 pm

Hey guys,

Just a small photo update for you....things have been moving along quite nicely and the trackwork is starting to take shape, there have been a few minor alterations to the pointwork at the north end of the layout, I have added a small loop to run round the freight wagons when they transfer between the two stations...

Here is the area for the small branchline station and sidings, nothing too major here, hopefully just a nice rural setting with a couple of sidings....

Finally the left hand side board's trackwork is going down well, here is the station throat with the small fiddle yard to the right, the branchline enters on the left hand line and the two mainlines are in the middle heading towards "Angels Bank" so called as it is a lovely 1 in 52 gradient....

The mainlines making their way up and down this incline along sweeping curves is something I am really excited about, of course my woodworking is useless but by the time the glue has dried out I should have a good solid base to build on.

Sadly the gradient in the other side is nearer 1 in 35, this is a shame but it just has to get up to 7cm above the branchlines before the corner to cross over.....

Thanks guys,

Gav.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”