Anyone opened a Hornby GNR J13/LNER J52?

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Fourjays

Anyone opened a Hornby GNR J13/LNER J52?

Post by Fourjays »

Hey,
I'm wanting to do a "proper" model railway layout and am still undecided about whether to go DCC or not. You can find my main thread of queries/planning here.

If I go DCC I will need to upgrade two locomotives without issue - a Flying Scotsman (loads of instructions available so fairly easy) and a GNR J13/LNER J52 (R2186A). At the moment I am just checking that it is possible for both. I finally found instructions which are apparently applicable to the J13/J52 as well as other 0-6-0's here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=16178

However, I can't find the way into J13/J52 so I can check how to install a DCC decoder should I go that route! I've tried removing the screws from the bottom and nothing budges. I've looked around the edge of the body and can see no clips. Has anyone here fitted DCC to this locomotive, or know how to get into it so I can see what needs to be done?
Flashbang

Re: Anyone opened a Hornby GNR J13/LNER J52?

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
If its Hornby number is R396, then this service sheet states how to remove the body.

http://www.modeltrains.net.au/hornby/se ... heetid=233

Hope it helps? :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Fourjays

Post by Fourjays »

It's R2186A unfortunately. Checked anyway but there is no screw on the side of the body. It's fairly new (only 3-4 years old) so I'm surprised it is so hard to find any information about it.

Thanks for trying :)
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
Oops! Sorry, I should have read in more detail your original posting, where the R number was already!! :oops: :oops:
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/se ... 00-6-0.pdf
Guess this one really doesn't help that much either!
But I'm fairly sure the body retaining method hasn't been altered except on a couple of models?
So I believe?? even your newish one that the body is still clipped on. The clip(s) being at one or both ends.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

I've got one of these, somewhere, but I don't know where :oops: I do think Brian is right though. When you find clips, be very careful when you spring the body to release them, or you can split it.
Pete.
son of triangman

Post by son of triangman »

The chassis clips are also prone to breakage.
Fourjays

Post by Fourjays »

Yes, that's it! Thank-you poliss! When I was looking at it yesterday I wondered if the coupling screws were to do with holding the body down as they appeared to go through a block on the chassis then another on the body, but taking them off showed no movement. I can also see the clip now too. Not taken it off yet as I don't want to risk breaking the clip unnecessarily but I now know how to get in and fit the decoder should I go down the DCC route. :D