Smarts Heath Junction N Gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
matt1471

Smarts Heath Junction N Gauge

Post by matt1471 »

Shelf type layout loosely based on my imagination!

DCC using Hornby Select and Digitrax DZ125 decoders.
Current loco's:
Dapol 14xx
GraFar Pannier Tank
Dapol Q1 C16 Souther (to be re-liveried and number to BR and 33016)
GraFar Class 08

Loco's awaiting purchase
Class 101 DMU
Class 20 with Dummy
Ivatt 2-6-2 Tank (if I can source one)
and 1more which is yet to be decided!

End of line terminus station, with cattle dock and coaling stage.
Small goods shed area and loco shed. Main Line out from the station leads out into countyside and off onto hidden traverse.

Seep Point Motors, with colour signals running from accessory outputs on relay circuits.
ENJOY!!

THE CHIEF

Re: Smarts Heath Junction N Gauge

Post by THE CHIEF »

Great, another n gauge dcc layout. Looks like you've made good start to. How much room does the coaling stage take up from the bace of the ramp to the top? Nice work so far :)
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

Hi Chief. Coaling stage takes up just under 60cms and there isnt much room at the end after the hut!!

I'll get some more pics up soon!!
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

Finished wiring up today and manage to burn my fingers on the soldering iron!! GRR

Just got 2more Point Motors to do with a relay for the Signal!! :D

Managed to source an Ivatt 2-6-2 today so ordering that on Friday!!
Let me know what you think!

THE CHIEF

Post by THE CHIEF »

Nice, I really like the cattle dock :) did you chip the 14xx your self?
SimonDBench

Post by SimonDBench »

Looks very ipressive, there is a lot going on in such a small space yet it doesn't look overly cluttered. Any plans for future expansion around the room? A long line with a return loop wouldn't be bad hey? :P The express in the station is just begging for that to happen :D

Simon
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

THE CHIEF wrote:did you chip the 14xx your self?
Havent converted it yet. Only purchased it last week and finished running it in! I have found a company that has a DZ123 which is slightly smaller than the DZ125 so hopefully that will fit in there!!

Just ordered a Dapol Ivatt to so gonna have to modify that as well!!
SimonDBench wrote:Looks very ipressive, there is a lot going on in such a small space yet it doesn't look overly cluttered. Any plans for future expansion around the room? A long line with a return loop wouldn't be bad hey? :P The express in the station is just begging for that to happen :D

Simon
I do have a large 8x4 layout which I cant have at home as it doesnt fit lol, but I think in time it will be expanded the the terminus can then become and a through station.....just need to remove the buffers!! :-)
bsa77

Post by bsa77 »

14xx and terrier are sitting waiting for me to pluck up the courage to convert! Everything has (excluding the M7) has been okay...

Looks like a great layout - and another who can make metcalfe platforms look like what they should rather than the mess I end up with!
SimonDBench

Post by SimonDBench »

Would look great as a through station, lots of nice detail for the engine to be rushing past :)
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

bsa77 wrote:14xx and terrier are sitting waiting for me to pluck up the courage to convert! Everything has (excluding the M7) has been okay...

Looks like a great layout - and another who can make metcalfe platforms look like what they should rather than the mess I end up with!
I'll try and do a picture diary of the conversion. Ordering the parts tomorrow (payday) and hopefully will tackle the project over the weekend. If it goes well I'm more than happy to offer to convert yours for you as well if you dont fancy it yourself!!
I've made 3 of the Metcalfe plaforms now so a bit of an expert....I'm bored of them though!! lol
SimonDBench wrote:Would look great as a through station, lots of nice detail for the engine to be rushing past :)
Your just desperate for me to expand it!! I'd need to knock through the wall if i wanted to do that and I dont think the landlord would be to happy with a 2track tunnel through his wall.....although the idea is a good one!!
Michael Thornberry

Post by Michael Thornberry »

Hello Matt,
You could always offer your land-lord the incentive of "joint-running-rights" on your very "Smart"(s) Heath Junction Line :lol: Looking Good, mate,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

Started to lay some ballast now. Using a 5:1 mix of Gaugemaster ballast and Woodland scenics Medium Grey with 50/50 PVA/Water mix. Sets like concrete!!

I'm unsure though what to use and what image to go for by the coaling stage by the 2 wagons. I dont want to cover the layout in ballast and it look really samey. I'm going to paint around the coal stage to make it look like coal debri.

I was thinking a patch of grass/waste common land type, but it might look a bit random. Any ideas??

Pedanticmongrel

Post by Pedanticmongrel »

I hate to say something that would piss you off as you have already ballasted but your platform starter signals are both on the wrong side.
matt1471

Post by matt1471 »

:cry: Oh.....Do they need to be on the left then??
I'm not overly concerned as to realism, but I guess that it is slightly annoying.

I managed to break the one on the left yesterday (dont know how) so they may be coming out soon anyway!! :evil:
Pedanticmongrel

Post by Pedanticmongrel »

In the UK signals sit to the left of the track, the side that the driver is on (unless it's a GCR or GWR steam loco, and one or 2 other exceptions) in the USA, and Europe and many other places the signals sit to the right of the track because the trains run "arse about face" to put it politley! :lol: