Fiddle yard design.

Any questions about designing a model railway layout or problems with track work.
Julia

Fiddle yard design.

Post by Julia »

I am pondering the addition of a small fiddle yard with a traverser type arrangement, probably 4 tracks on draw runners. However I am trying to work out suitable ways of getting the alignment correct when moving tracks. What techniques have people tried for this problem? What did you find worked especially well?

Thanks

J
live-frog

Re: Fiddle yard design.

Post by live-frog »

Hi , I'm looking at a similar arrangement myself.
I've heard that small door bolts can provide alignment.
locoworks

Post by locoworks »

a good method is a sprung loaded taper/wedge as this always takes up any 'play'. have the taper on the non moving part and the locator bits on the traversing bit. lay the track on the traversing AFTER you have fitted the locators so the traverser is locked in place when you lay it. that way you aren't trying to fit locaters mm perfect, just the track which is easier to do by eye.
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

I've used the brass door bolt method with some success. Ideally get a pair so one bolt can be cut up to provide extra sockets. Put the bolt on the fixed side, a socket next to each track on the moving part. By wiring one of the connecting wires through the bolt and socket it will ensure that only trains on the selected track will move, and nothing will move unless the table is locked in place.
m8internet

Post by m8internet »

At exhibitions the majority of traversers tend to use door bolts
The main latch is attached to the baseboard and the smaller clasps to the traverser
However, as you will notice when you buy these they are sold in sets!
Therefore most people use metal strips for the clasp

I have also seen door catches used (as found on kitchen doors)
Again the smaller clasp is usually home made as they are rarely available on their own
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC