Class 108 DMU lighting problems

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
mart l

Class 108 DMU lighting problems

Post by mart l »

Hello,
I'm a newbe to model railways and just just bought a Bachmann 32-910 Class 108 3-car DMU BR blue/grey which looks to me to be a good quality train set. I've also got a Hornby select DCC controler and 2 Bachmann 3 function decoders (35-553) and fitted those in and got the system up and running a few days ago. Last night when using it, the direction lights and interia lights went out and now I cannot them them to work. I have checked the fitting and removed and refitted both decoders and they seem to be ok but these's still no front/rear and interia lights. Any advice?
By the way, as you may know, the middle car is always lit while it's on a live track but I don't have any worries with that.
Flashbang

Re: Class 108 DMU lighting problems

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
The obvious first...
Have you toggled Function 'F0' on/off to check the lights are not turned off?

Not sure what you mean by "Inertia lights"? My 108 has directional head and tail lamps (White / Red) with lit destination board and internal carriage lighting which in the two driving units isnt particularly bright!
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
sishades

Post by sishades »

I had this problem with my 108. In the end I returned it to Bachman to sort out, which they did. Included was a sarcastic letter from them telling me that it now worked properly.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again
mart l

Post by mart l »

Thanks for your help. I have tried toggleing F0 but this had no effect. I think the decoders are ok as F3 (slow shunter speed) works.
Roger (RJ)

Post by Roger (RJ) »

I had difficulties with the interior lights on my 3 car class 108, it seems to be critical that the brass connection strips that go from the floor to the inside of the roof are in exactly the right position. If they are the tiniest bit bent or out of position the lights won't work and none of the lights will work if the decoder is plugged in the wrong way round even though the motor control will work.

If you fit a decoder to the centre car, the interior lights are controllable on DCC
mart l

Post by mart l »

Right, I've disconnected the decoders and refitted the 8 pin connector thing and the train works on analouge control with all lights lit. The front and rear lights show amber as is expected. Any other ideas?
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
Have you tried the decoders 8 pin plug in the socket the other way around i.e. turned 180 degrees from its original position?
If it was fitted the wrong way around the loco still works but the lighting wont!
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
mart l

Post by mart l »

I did refit the decoders making sure red pin went in number 8 on the block.
locoworks

Post by locoworks »

mart l wrote:I did refit the decoders making sure red pin went in number 8 on the block.
thats how it should be, but hornby have had a few marked incorrectly, maybe bachmann use the same fella for holiday cover?? try the decoder plugged in what looks like the wrong way, you won't hurt anything.