New N Gauge Plan - Advice Appreciated

Post your design ideas for any layout that you are planning to build in the future. Keep members up-to-date with your designs and future plans for your layout.

New N Gauge Plan - Advice Appreciated

Postby 5690 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:12 am

Having more than one problem with OO, I've decided to go for the fiddly-yet-sturdier N gauge. I've been browsing around some of the models and have found them REALLY impressive. I've churned out the following plan:

Due to the limitations of my track CAD program, I can only place 50 pieces at once, hence the gaps. It'll be going on my current 'round the room' OO baseboards, and those 90 degree curves are to OO radius, meaning they'll be sweeping curves in N :D

It'll be a totally LMS dominated railway, and my first loco I hope to be number 6115 'Scots Guardsman'.

Altogether, track, loco and two coaches, comes to £257. Is this too much to spend for a beginner? Should I perhaps see other layouts in action before making a firm decision?

Please give advice, opinions on the plan, things like that.

m8internet

Re: New N Gauge Plan - Advice Appreciated

Postby m8internet » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:32 am

That looks a large and interesting layout, for a beginner
£300 may seem a lot, but that is just the beginning
You then have to add the other costs, such as baseboard, point motors, electrics, and so on

What size will the baseboard be?
I suggest you build the outer loop first, putting the other points in place ready for future expansion
That will save you some money, allowing to split the spending over time
You can then expand on to the inner loop and buy a second controller and more rolling stock
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

Postby 5690 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:38 am

m8internet wrote:That looks a large and interesting layout, for a beginner
£300 may seem a lot, but that is just the beginning
You then have to add the other costs, such as baseboard, point motors, electrics, and so on

What size will the baseboard be?
I suggest you build the outer loop first, putting the other points in place ready for future expansion
That will save you some money, allowing to split the spending over time
You can then expand on to the inner loop and buy a second controller and more rolling stock

My baseboards are already up around my room. Basically, the left and right hand sides are about 2 and a half ft in length, the top and bottom are 2 and 3/4 ft in length.

I really, really like your idea of just doing the outer loop first, that's an excellent suggestion! I don't know why that didn't occur to me!

phonebook

Postby phonebook » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:58 am

if thise dimensions are in feet, then your corners are extremely sharp indeed

are you sure it isnt meters?

Ben A

Postby Ben A » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:09 am

Hi there

I would suggest leaving a slight gap between the crossover top right and the start of the curve. Also, and it does depend on what scenery you are planning, you may want to consider having the track "flow" more in gentle curves for an improved appearance.

cheers

Ben A.

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:49 pm

Also if it is one board can you comfortably reach to the back of it if the board is up against a wall?
I think the pan has been drawn without any specific track selected,might be wrong.
There is no way it can only be 2ft-3ft sqaure though,even settrack points are 3-4 inches and there are 5 along the bottom so that would make 15-20 inches on their own :shock:

Postby 5690 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:59 pm

Ben A wrote:Hi there

I would suggest leaving a slight gap between the crossover top right and the start of the curve. Also, and it does depend on what scenery you are planning, you may want to consider having the track "flow" more in gentle curves for an improved appearance.

cheers

Ben A.

Cheers Ben, I like that idea. Will see what I can do!
smallman28 wrote:Also if it is one board can you comfortably reach to the back of it if the board is up against a wall?
I think the pan has been drawn without any specific track selected,might be wrong.
There is no way it can only be 2ft-3ft sqaure though,even settrack points are 3-4 inches and there are 5 along the bottom so that would make 15-20 inches on their own :shock:

Like I say it goes round the room, with me in the middle.

It's all been drawn with Code 55.

You're right, I think I meant metres!

phonebook

Postby phonebook » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:58 pm

well then! cool plan

one other thing does sping to mind, you are using streamline spacing, all well and good, it looks better, but there still may be an issue of rolling stock hitting each other when trains pass on the corners- personally i thing a 12 inch radius as minimum is sufficient to prevent that, tho some people here have suggested with newer longer carriages it might be better to play it safe and have a minimum radius of 15 inches- no great hardship in all that space you have

Postby 5690 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:05 pm

phonebook wrote:well then! cool plan

one other thing does sping to mind, you are using streamline spacing, all well and good, it looks better, but there still may be an issue of rolling stock hitting each other when trains pass on the corners- personally i thing a 12 inch radius as minimum is sufficient to prevent that, tho some people here have suggested with newer longer carriages it might be better to play it safe and have a minimum radius of 15 inches- no great hardship in all that space you have

Thanks! Ooh good point there... Will have to make sure I get that right!

Just wondering - the reason I'm going N-gauge is because:

The wheels on every OO engine I own are rocking about for no reason, and I've checked the track.

I've had problems with the motion, especially on the Duchess.

Scale length trains is a LOT easier in N.

Is this a good enough reason, or should I get my other locos repaired and see how I go?

phonebook

Postby phonebook » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:45 pm

you're reasonning for moving to N is a good one- well i'm bound to think so, it is the same reasons that i did! however i'm not sure i was right

firstly the "poor" quality of OO models. as an adult I chose N primarily because I had bad memories of my hornby trainset as a child- the coaches were too light so it couldnt travel backwards, the transformer wasnt powerful enough, it took up oodles of space, came with a silly cardboard tunnel, and the model shop in wimbledon called platform 2 seemed to hate children asking questions. In contrast the N equipment i have is reliable, travels in both directions, is compact, and i have a tiny tardis on the platform from lyddle end that is soooo cute! however- i doubt the differences are that great- the difference is me, i have less expectations and i am more carefull now- i am now an adult and am more able to ask questions(well get them answered). I dont have to pay good money for a glossy catalogue full of models i cant afford- I have the internet and a car- which means i can travel to a model shop where they are more helpful than my nearest one perhaps- or just different.

now the point about the realstic rakes of coaches- that was a huuuuge lure of N for me, as a regular traveller on international long distance trains, that is what seemed to have the most appeal. However- now i have some track down and chosen various layouts, I am more than content with the loco pulling three coaches!!! The main reason is that i like to have all or most of my stuff in sidings somewhere, and long rakes eat up that space. For me - provided the train hauls some first and third passenges, gives them something to eat or somewhere to sleep, I'm more than happy with it- but thats me i have come to realise, and i could easily have done that in OO.

so 2 years in, do i regret n gauge, not one bit, but, I would have been equally happy with OO, more so actually because of the shere ammount of stuff there is to run on it. However I love the stuff i do have and am very satisfied with N

Postby 5690 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:23 pm

phonebook wrote:you're reasonning for moving to N is a good one- well i'm bound to think so, it is the same reasons that i did! however i'm not sure i was right

firstly the "poor" quality of OO models. as an adult I chose N primarily because I had bad memories of my hornby trainset as a child- the coaches were too light so it couldnt travel backwards, the transformer wasnt powerful enough, it took up oodles of space, came with a silly cardboard tunnel, and the model shop in wimbledon called platform 2 seemed to hate children asking questions. In contrast the N equipment i have is reliable, travels in both directions, is compact, and i have a tiny tardis on the platform from lyddle end that is soooo cute! however- i doubt the differences are that great- the difference is me, i have less expectations and i am more carefull now- i am now an adult and am more able to ask questions(well get them answered). I dont have to pay good money for a glossy catalogue full of models i cant afford- I have the internet and a car- which means i can travel to a model shop where they are more helpful than my nearest one perhaps- or just different.

now the point about the realstic rakes of coaches- that was a huuuuge lure of N for me, as a regular traveller on international long distance trains, that is what seemed to have the most appeal. However- now i have some track down and chosen various layouts, I am more than content with the loco pulling three coaches!!! The main reason is that i like to have all or most of my stuff in sidings somewhere, and long rakes eat up that space. For me - provided the train hauls some first and third passenges, gives them something to eat or somewhere to sleep, I'm more than happy with it- but thats me i have come to realise, and i could easily have done that in OO.

so 2 years in, do i regret n gauge, not one bit, but, I would have been equally happy with OO, more so actually because of the shere ammount of stuff there is to run on it. However I love the stuff i do have and am very satisfied with N

Cheers for sharing your experiences! That's a vote of confidence :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Planning”