009 narrow gauge loco dimension?

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
train-studio

009 narrow gauge loco dimension?

Post by train-studio »

Hi, I'm currently building my layout which includes an 009 scale branch line. I have a tunnel mouth that needs building but would like to know the height and width of a 009 loco as currently do not have one, yet! I understand there are some bigger than others but if someone could measure theirs, or their tunnel mouths I make sure that I make enough clearance with some leeway to ensure my trains will run through. Hopefully I will get a model sooner rather than later but i really need to get this tunnel made as it will otherwise hold me up somewhat.

Many Thanks

Anthony
zarniwhoop

Re: 009 narrow gauge loco dimension?

Post by zarniwhoop »

All depends what you are modelling, doesn't it ? Some people run small 60cm or 2ft-gauge locos on 9mm track, purists run 2'3" (so, could be Talyllyn - small - or, I think, C&M - big - ), others of us run 2'6" gauge or even 3' gauge. I guess that the NGG16 Garretts are also on the large side.

Even on 60cm, locos vary - the Vale of Rheidol locos, as "rebuilt" at Swindon, are, I think, 8' wide.

My freelance industrial diesel is about 24mm wide. The Liliput (HOe) U298 0-6-2T seems to be 26mm wide. If you want carriages from the L&B or WHR I'd guess you'll need at least 7 scale feet (plus, of course, long carriages need more clearance if there is a curve).

ĸen
train-studio

Post by train-studio »

Thanks, also what sort of height.

The track I have is standard peco 009

thanks again
b308

Post by b308 »

The track you use doesn't really matter, as Ken said its the line you model which does!

Before building any tunnels, overbridges or platforms I'd get yourself some stock which you can then use as templates. Just be aware, though, that they will be your maximum loading gauge!

Another point to remember is that bogie stock needs more clearence than 4 wheeled stock...
train-studio

Post by train-studio »

thanks b308 thats some good advice. I think I will have to get a hold of a kit and get on with that as my next project! then go back to designing my tunnels. Thanks again