Kadee couplers

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
skorpio

Kadee couplers

Post by skorpio »

Well I've done the search option and can't find the answer :( I've asked the "experts" at Warley and didn't get a definitive answer :cry: :shock: so I'll come to the real experts :wink:

I/we (the wife and I) model french outline HOe [building a layout "based on" the CFBS at Le Crotoy] now I want to use the kadee system of coupling, but, and this is the problem, I don't know SFA about these :oops:

We'll be running stock in "fixed rakes" {preservation layout you see :wink: } so coupling/uncoupling will not involve shunting in it's normal guise.

All stock is either Roco, Lilliput or Eggerbahn, ie all the same couplers, but these require electro magnetic uncouplers with all the relevant holes and problems, whereas the Kadee system is operated by permanent magnets with delayed operation. Nice and simple for what we want :wink: :wink: :D

OK, so now brain picking time :?: which couplers do I need to replace he existing ones in order to achieve this, ie which "number" kadee units do I need.

All/any help will be very much appreciated.

Will try to get some pics and info on the layout on here soon, not easy when I'm only home evry other w/end [long distance euro-trucker]
b308

Re: Kadee couplers

Post by b308 »

I think that you need the Micro Trains N gauge ones...

I know that there are several modellers on NGRMOnline that use them, and there are several threads on that Forum that talk about them... so I'd recomend that you sign up to that forum (you can't view it unless you are a member due to problems they've had with spammers)... Thats the reason the NG section is quiet on here, we all frequent NGRM as well!

BTW I model HOe as well as HOm (French and German), though my HOe is set further east in Europe, look forward to the piccies of your layout! :mrgreen:
skorpio

Post by skorpio »

Thanks for that, I'll sort out 2moro, much appreciated.
sol

Post by sol »

I would have thought that most European models in H0 would have NEM coupler pockets so Kadee #17-20 would be ideal as they plug-in in place of the existing couplers.
regards
Ron Solly
Merv

Post by Merv »

Hi

Have you thought of using the Greenwich couplers? They are operated by permanent magnets as I understand it and are also compatible with other couplers

http://www.nigellawton009.com/GreenwichCouplings.html

You do have to make them yourself though but may be something worth considering
Currently Armchair Modelling

Not at all Fluffy
skorpio

Post by skorpio »

Thanks for the replies, will look into all of them.

HOe doesn't use nem coupler pockets unfortunately, hence the problem. Most of the stock have the couplings pivoted on it's own "arm"
b308

Post by b308 »

Yes, its a shame is that - probably too late to retool the moulds I suppose!
skorpio

Post by skorpio »

b308 wrote:Yes, its a shame is that - probably too late to retool the moulds I suppose!
:roll: :roll: If you have/had something "useful" to add to the discussion then carry on, but this sort of response is neither useful or intelligent. I feel that my question was/is a realistic request from a "fellow" modeller. The fact that others have responded with intelligent/useful answers means that they, at least, can understand the situation.

Not all of us model in nice easy scale/gauges (for our own reasons) and therefore appreciate the input {intelligent in the main} from our fellow modellers.
b308

Post by b308 »

If you care to check my earlier post near the top, you will see that I did answer your question and that last post was simply saying that it would be a good idea to have the "pockets" on the rtr stock that is produced in HOe/m but is probably too late as the moulds are very old - fact. Also if you care to check out my Fotopic site you will find that I model East European narrow gauge which, as it has no rtr trade support, I suspect is at least as difficult as yours if not more so. This is a discussion forum, threads do "expand" from the original question on a regular basis to include related items, thats the nature of forums.

Your post was very ott, please have the decency to appologise.