New Project - Shelf Layout NEW PICS PAGE 2 NON CAM PHONE!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
[qifop]

New Project - Shelf Layout NEW PICS PAGE 2 NON CAM PHONE!

Post by [qifop] »

All,

Been quiet for a while, dismantled by 6x4 board layout (see my other posts), been given the green light by the missus for a layout in the spare bedroom/rabbits room!

This is my initial plan. Comments please. 2 branch line stations, 1 terminus station (lower left), tunnel is orange bit top right, lower shaded area infront of main line is an engine shed/carriage works. Line is based on late 90's era and will be operating mainly 150, 156 and 153 DMU's (so the 2nd radius curves I can live with - thou have hid them as much as possible to not see carriage overhang).

I aim to keep the shelve 12-14"'s from the wall all round. Control location is bottom right.

Aiming for 3 months from start > near completion (exluding signal and point automation).

Comments please. Wish me luck - as previously I will keep posted with pics!

Last edited by [qifop] on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
[qifop]

Re: New Project - Shelf Layout

Post by [qifop] »

As per my previous layout you will see I do not hang around!

This is progress since Friday..... See I adjusted the design slightly, to include a fiddle yard in replacement of the last station. AnyRail was spot on with the dimensions. Track all fitted like a glove to the shelf.

W-Hanson Timber are excellent for sheet cutting if you live in West London I highly recommend.

See pics - used hardboard to protect interior walls from construction

Track

bluechang

Post by bluechang »

you certainly don't hang around - at the speed you're going it'll be finished by the end of next month. :D Seriously though, I like the planned layout - I assume its OO and not N gauge? What rolling stock are you planning on running - I didn't see your previous layout so don't know what you have?
[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

Yes its 00 gauge.

based like the old layout on mid 90's local passenger services around midlands. So Class 150's (new bachmann model), class 153's and Class 156's. Platforms are more than big enough on new layout.

See todays progress so far, just painting up the boards with base colours to seal the mdf. Also painted the backscene hardboard for a nice gloomy grey sky.

Note I have deliberately not back painted for the track in the fiddle yard as I find a light colour helps to find the super detail items that tend to drop off!

Hope to pin down track tonight and test run and get on to ballasting this coming week.

[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

Last update for today, scenery in one corner done. Rest of layout not so much....

sishades

Post by sishades »

Crikey, that was quick. At this rate you will be finished in no time at all.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again
[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

Few more pics, been working on the 1st wall some more. Finished station just needs some detailling. Soldered all the droppers for the whole layout. Ballasted some track however not happy so going to tody it up a bit.

This is the branch line station, with a 156 sitting in it, whilst we await the delivery of 2 sets of Class 150's.

off the foot bridge

The terminus station turned up yesterday so will start work on that, then fill the bits in between....

More later next week.
[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

More updates,

Electrics going in, and ballasting almost complete.

Fiddle yard in distance....

By night....

Starting to build main station in distance

[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

Level Crossing and some track weathering.

Got to get an express models level crossing kit for it. Still needs some touching up.

Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Nice,
I like shelf and micro layouts .... Only because I don't have a loft ? That's quite a short target time, but at the speed you've got this done I don't think you'll fail. I'm probably very slow at ballasting, but I wouldn't expect tp do what you have there in less than one months worth of evenings .....

Geoff T.
[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

Thanks,

I need to do some more work on the ballasting but the majority is done, the shelf started as a micro layout however as it spans a total 9 meters of wall and 28 meters of track the ballasting did take longer than even I thought!

Last night,

More electrics going in, lighting this time.

Not much more to do after this now until end of the month as blown the budget for this month!
[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

Started detailing the main line through what will be an industrial area; some oil on track before signals and a third rail on the sharp bend approaching from what will be a maintenance siding on to the main line.

[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

Just decided to make some metal clag trunking from old plastic sleepers. Also created a scrap pile of track, some electrical housings etc.

This siding will be a network rail "dumping" ground so all suits. Just wating for porta cabins to turn up pesky royal mail!

[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

Got lots of Peco Fencing and some Lichen.

Looking bit better now, just making up some low relief buildings which hopefully will fill some of the back scene later today.

Starting running locos round also as most messy track glue work done.

Need to get a better camera or any camera other than a phone!

Comments?
[qifop]

Post by [qifop] »

Reminder of still much area to develop.....

This will be the town area, hoping to cram in a station building alongside as a backscene then a bus depot behind the bumper stops reflecting my old local town stourbridge town (before I moved to London). - Hopefully my DMU's wont overrun the line as often as happened there!

This area will stabling area. Was originally going to be "off scene" but now will ballast it and add some basic scenery, however it will still be where the trains "disappear to" for a short while when running around the line.

I may incoporate a small engine shed on tbe back line and maybe a refuelling point, as my original servicing area I am now going to use to stable a 108 in great western as some kind of preservation area (see the previous pictures where shunter is currently sat).