Complete starter, follow my progress

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Zanziba

Re: Complete starter, follow my progress

Postby Zanziba » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:43 pm

I may have time tomorrow morning to take some pictures and I'll try and get the hosted.

I bought a E-Z Bachmann DCC controller off eBay today so anyone who can advise me about chipping my trains would be great. I may sell some of my old ones and buy DCC ready versions? I don't know really.

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:29 am

Okay, been playing trains today and took a couple of photo's to show off my new A4 and also my mountain which is almost finished.

My two main engines going into and out of my tunnel mouth next to the main station.

The main station platforms (not a lot done here I know) with a flying Scott in the background and my class 37 which I really like in the foreground. Note the risers in the background that need reinforcing.

Two 0-6-0's working the lower quarry. The class 04 is going up for sale (MINT and I have the original blue weathered (factory weathering) blue body)

Another angle. I like the footpath in the foreground.

Close-up of the upper quarry shows the 0-6-0 GWR making it's way through the mountain pass.

Jinty hauls Milk past the factory. The windows need repair I notice!

The GWR has made it's way onto the mainline but is missing the branch to my 2nd station as the Princess Victoria is idling there.

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:16 pm

Soldered some more joins between rails to improve electrical contacts and soldered wire across one join on the main rising section as I think that is a particular problem as trains pass it. Also made three pillars of wood and put brickwork (printed on card) round them and glued them under the rising section to support the track between the ones I had originally. This has helped but trains still struggle up it.

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:53 pm

DCC Class08 and Jinty arrived today (£55 the pair from the box set Hornby) but controller still not here so can't test them. Also bought class 20 in BR green for £31 (plus £5 postage) which is DCC "ready" so I'll need a chip (and advice on how to do it)

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:45 pm

Class 20 "DCC ready" arrived today, Brand New and runs like a dream. I mean, I am AMAZED even on DC how ultra smooth it is even at incredible slow dribble over insulfrog points. It goes over my "mountain pass" that my other trains struggle on like there is no drop in current at all.

I am now thinking that I should sell ALL my old trains and buy new. The modern motor really can't be beaten! The other amazing think is the motor is silent more or less and the train is at silly high speed at half DC power. I tried it at 75% and it ermmmm, left the track on a number 2 radius. Ooops.

Happy as larry. Also got track cleaning coach for a £5r arrived and waiting for some points. DCC controller was posted to me today so should have it in a couple of days. Can anyone tell me EXACTELY what chip I need to put in my new hornby class 20 and does it simply push fit as it is DCC ready, I have never done this before.

egroeg93

Postby egroeg93 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:36 am

bump

Zanziba

Postby Zanziba » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:18 pm

Just got back from Germany and bought another DCC ready train. I'll try and photo it soon!

Ermm, why'd my thread get bumped?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”