Southern Garage Layout (old pics up to page 27 added)

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Elsparrow

Re: Southern Garage Layout [last... page 40]

Post by Elsparrow »

I'd be careful how you phrase that, as suddenly I become an "expert" in quite a few things! :mrgreen:
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

Oh, I don't know...expertise is always cool, so run with it, I say! :D
Elsparrow

Post by Elsparrow »

Like scissors and knives yes?
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

Hmm, maybe there's a link here to "If you're too sharp you'll cut yourself"?
Blacksheep 1

Post by Blacksheep 1 »

I may not have a massive post count, however you may note that I have been a member for almost three years, perhaps in that time I have concentrated on my modelling whilst observing on a daily basis the life of others on here.

I stand by my observation that posts such as yours in this thread:
Black-Marlin wrote:Aye.
Black-Marlin wrote:Mebbe? Mebbe a wee bitty yon 'aye'?
Do nothing but lower the credibility of the forum.

Of course I could always up my post count with ones such as:
Black-Marlin wrote:Please delete this thread - I've decided to re-do it.
How many times again did you post that in your Marlbrook thread?
The Crusade Continues
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

Blacksheep! You've been concentrating on your modelling for the last 3 years? Wonderful! You know, every time I look at your thread I...oh, hang on a minute, I don't think there is such a thread...no, no sign of it...should I take this comment to mean that you are at last planning to enlighten us all as to the nature of your own contributions to the modelling world? Genuinely, and without sarcasm, I really would like to see it. I like model railways. I like railway modellers. This is why I find your comments a little hard to take - you don't seem to want to contribute to the forum in the manner for which it was designed. That, I think, destroys the credibility of the forum rather more significantly.

Look at it this way. Someone who sees my posts and wonders 'who is this yahoo?' can go to the Starlingford thread and see my model railway, or they can go to the main section of the site and see the reviews of the T9 or Princess or King Arthur or J39 that I've posted. Then they can then judge for themselves whether I know what I'm talking about and whether I have a commitment to improving the forum. Someone like me who wonders the same thing about you can check your posts and is left wondering. In other words, where is your modelling credibility? I'm not accusing you of lying - of course not - but I am saying it's hard to take you seriously as either a modeller or a forum contributor when very little evidence exists to support either claim.

And as for Marlbrook...oh dear. When I read your posts I made sure I read them in context. I ensured this because I didn't want to do anything as silly as you have just managed. You see, context is vital. And if you had bothered to check the context of all those many posts, you would have come to this one:
Please trust me when I say that there were compelling personal reasons for my actions, and I didn't have time to address the issues involved in a way that left this thread as either you or I would have wanted. However, it is my intention to restore this thread, albeit in a slightly different form (provided I am allowed to do so), and I would ask for your patience as I attempt to rectify matters.
I am in no mood to go over all this again, so I won't, but I'll leave you with this interesting thought: all the posts that said "Please delete this thread" were edits, not new posts. They did nothing whatsoever to increase my post count, and frankly, if there had been an equally quick way to remove them entirely I would have preferred to do that but such, alas, was not an option available to me.

Blacksheep, why not start contributing constructively? Show us your models!

Regards,
Gavin
Dead Man's Handle

Post by Dead Man's Handle »

Quite amusing that the first person to complain was someone whose contribution at one point consisted of posting minor variations of 'very good' literally ten times in a row. A fair bit of the rest is just sniping.

We're hardly in the realms of what most people consider cool by being railway modellers, but discreetly trolling a model railway forum for 3 years without actually sharing any modelling has got to be a new level of sadness...

So yeah, I gotta agree with Gavin on this one. Let's see something.

Although to be fair, the sort of spamming that's in this thread can get a bit tedious, but some people can get away with it whereas others would be jumped on. I guess, like anywhere, you just gotta be part of the in-crowd :wink:

Ade
My bits and pieces

Dole scrubbers build 'em best!
Merv

Post by Merv »

but are there any updates?
Currently Armchair Modelling

Not at all Fluffy
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Dead Man's Handle wrote:
Although to be fair, the sort of spamming that's in this thread can get a bit tedious, but some people can get away with it whereas others would be jumped on. I guess, like anywhere, you just gotta be part of the in-crowd :wink:
that makes me part of a crowd! sweet :)
Blacksheep wrote:It is people like the previous five or so posters that have filled the last page with piffle that helps to make this a kindergarten forum
To be honest trains are toys and kids play with toys.
We make them in to something, a little more then just toys!

Sillyness breaks up boredom, if you don't want sillyness, there are many other places that just deal with the seriousness of model railways, Full of grumpy old men.
Blacksheep 1

Post by Blacksheep 1 »

Oh dear here we go again.

Does the truth hurt guys, I posted a general comment to the fact that the recent posts in this thread do not contribute. And what happens: People spit their dummies out and start to attack me because I do not have page after page of ‘look what I have done’ or wheelbarrows full of ‘Great progress mate’ comments.

How I view the forum is entirely up to me, there are no rules saying where and how often you are required to post.

For information: The only section I view is the Layout under construction page. There are some cracking models on there and some good looking trainsets. In the early days of NRM when there were some good modellers and fine moderators about, things generally stayed on topic and there were some good sensible discussion on modelling. Sadly now the forum is a bit like a disused station and the weeds are growing unchecked.
Black-Marlin wrote:So, Mumbles, anything doing these days? :wink:
Sadly Mr Mumbles doesn’t bother with this forum any more and one of the main reasons are the amount of weeds.
The Crusade Continues
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Blacksheep wrote:Oh dear here we go again.

Does the truth hurt guys, I posted a general comment to the fact that the recent posts in this thread do not contribute. And what happens: People spit their dummies out and start to attack me because I do not have page after page of ‘look what I have done’ or wheelbarrows full of ‘Great progress mate’ comments.

How I view the forum is entirely up to me, there are no rules saying where and how often you are required to post.

For information: The only section I view is the Layout under construction page. There are some cracking models on there and some good looking trainsets. In the early days of NRM when there were some good modellers and fine moderators about, things generally stayed on topic and there were some good sensible discussion on modelling. Sadly now the forum is a bit like a disused station and the weeds are growing unchecked.
Black-Marlin wrote:So, Mumbles, anything doing these days? :wink:
Sadly Mr Mumbles doesn’t bother with this forum any more and one of the main reasons are the amount of weeds.
I didn't aim to start a heated discussion, with my sillyness and in someone's layout thread.
Please can we all not forget that this is someone's layout thread.
Blacksheep 1

Post by Blacksheep 1 »

It would be easy to stoop to your level and attack you back Mr Black Martin, but I will not.

The posts of mine that you have quoted are almost 2 years old, I stopped posting such comments after talking with others and I have moved on.

Would you like me to constructively criticise Starlingford for you?
M'lud, the defendant complains
No, I think you will find if you read the post correctly, that I stated a fact
So your concern about where this thread goes is based on what, exactly? You care because...?
I think my first post on this tread is self explanatory

I only continue the debate in this thread because we all know that it is sadly dead and buried from a modelling perspective.
The Crusade Continues
Blacksheep 1

Post by Blacksheep 1 »

Blacksheep wrote:It is people like the previous five or so posters that have filled the last page with piffle that helps to make this a kindergarten forum
Ok so I admit that this username lacks credibility in the eyes of most.

My point is, that the way this once great thread has dwindled to where it is now, is a real shame.

Irrespective of who or what you think I am, answer truthfully this question:

Would you rather see modelling (Track mat to Exhibition standard) in this forum, or endless pointless comments?

Yours in Modelling
Blacksheep
The Crusade Continues
m.levin

Post by m.levin »

Blacksheep wrote: My point is, that the way this once great thread has dwindled to where it is now, is a real shame.

Would you rather see modelling (Track mat to Exhibition standard) in this forum, or endless pointless comments?
Yes I agree that it is a real shame that the thread has dwindled and I am the main person involved in this action, to which I again apologise.

But it would also be nice to see the end to pointless arguing over pointless comments!

Mod - Matter closed
leon

Post by leon »

ANY UPDATES