Wordsworth - 00 Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
mikem64

Re: Wordsworth Begins

Post by mikem64 »

In reply to Eddscotts question, since I've completely insulated and plaster boarded the loft I've had very little in dust, no more than any other room in the house anyway. Also it's money well spent, before I insulated the loft during the summer period it's been like being on the Sun up there, and in winter you could see the vapour from your own breathe.

I'm glad I listen too my wife on this one when she insisted this work be done before I started the layout.

As mentioned in my last little update before having to dash away, Monday saw my birthday come (With many years under my belt) and with it brought some very great presents from both my Daughter & Son, with a special present from my wife. See the Photo's below.

Birthday Presents.... The Loco is not quite LNER but it is BR Green and is a Castle Class "Warwick Castle"

Next are the platform sections I've been working on, they look pretty good if you ask me, the tunnel portals in the photo are just test pieces from another section of this layout so I can get a idea and feel of what I'm trying to build. Once I get the correct Tunnel portals built I can then fit the MDF formers for the remaining part of the hill side. The station building will then sit on this hill and I'll have some steps leading down onto the plaform sections below, this is the image I have in my head at the moment, I just hope I can translate this into reality.

Three new platform sections take shape

Another view along the platform

You can see the foam I've been using in the background on the bridge section. This just need gluing into position now and then covered in plaster bandage as soon as I get the above little project out of the way.

The only other thing I've managed to do is dig out my DCC controller which is a Bachmann Dynamis and two A4 loco's (From the 60 + loco's that I've manage to collect over the last year) I've fitted one with a standard Bachmann 3 Function decoder, the other I've splashed out and bought a SWD A4 sound decoder, both are operating really well on the main track loops. (Photo's of these two A4's in action will be uploaded on my next briefing).

Time too read and catch up on other threads within this forum.

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Well sometime has past and I must be honest I haven't done that much to the layout since I got the main line secured to the baseboard and DCC power(If only temp supply). I've been busy just making sure that an assortment of loco's run OK without any derailments, and so far looking good.

I did promise you all a few pictures of locomotives from my collection, so here they are, two are brand new A4's, the others are older models that I've retro fitted with Bachmann decoders, mainly using these because they are so cheap & when you have as many loco's I've managed too collect they are very cost effective. More Loco's will appear as I get the time to fit the decoders, examples will include, B17's, Britannia Class 7's, A1/3's, A4's, D49's Hunt Class, various 0-6-0 classes, DMU, Deltic's, Class 40 , Class 47, Class 20, Class 31 , Class 37 and last but not least a class 08, in total about another 63 loco's. That's quite a few models for such a small layout but I just can't help myself when I see them advertised.

Some new trackwork has gone down behind North Fangore Station.

Here we can see 0-6-0 Harry with it's train standing at what will be South Fangore Station

A4 4901 passes in front of Wordsworth Engine Shed (She's fitted with a SWD sound decoder) :lol:

A4 60020 waits at the signal box outside North Fangore Jct. (Note how you should be careful when replacing the loco body once you've fitted the decoder, the cab door now missing after being broken off by big clumpsy fingers) :oops:

A1 / 3 4476 sneaks behind Wordsworth Engine Shed.

As you can see the trackwork still needs weathering, this I'll do once I've soldered the dropper wires onto them, also you'll see the track screwed to the baseboard, these are only temp, and will be removed once the glue and ballast go down (Another idea borrowed from this forum)

The wife is working over this W/E so I plan to have a full W/E in the loft, I'm hoping I can have a good go and get the hill completed at North Fangore which runs down into Helmsbridge.

Hope I've not bored you all to sleep with so much waffle over very little progress. :roll:
Spavo

Post by Spavo »

Well that's a very solid start for me and you do have some lovely loco's.

Well done and good luck over the weekend!

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

This morning before going into the loft for some good old fashioned R & R I was reading some old threads on this forum and I was wondering what ever became of these old layouts that had been started in 2006 & 2007 etc etc and then no more updates.... I think I've figured it out, they just gave in as the mental torture just became too much !!!!!

After the morning I've had I feel like doing the same, this has not been a very good R & R session, I just can't get the image I have in my head translated into materials on the layout and it's starting to......... well get fustrating. A simple task I thought this week end, get the first hill & Tunnel section complete, I now know just how Brunel felt as he was doing his tunneling master piece on the GWR, I just hope mine doesn't take as long. :evil:

I suppose on a good note, once I do get this one correct & completed the other two will be a doddle. :?

On a side note when I come to do the ballasting of the track do you feel it best to do the bits unseen inside the tunnels, or just do into the tunnel mouths and leave it at that ? I also seem to be struggling in selecting the correct colour of ballast to use, I've purchased some small bags of Brown, Red, Grey & Buff, and they all look great, but which do I choose ? I might just put the bags onto the layout, close my eyes and mix them about and pick one, what does every one else think ?

As an Idea do I maybe use a different colour on the branch line, that way I can at least use two different colours ?

Time for a cuppa, calm down & re group mind & body before going back and cracking this hill.

Mike.
Michael Thornberry

Post by Michael Thornberry »

Hello Mikem 64,
Great start you've made there, the base-board and lay-out went from whoa to go in a very short-space of time. As you have obviously discovered it is essential to plan/build your Lay-out in 3-D and mentally incorporate individual elements well before building begins eg your suspension-bridge. Fortunately, you appear capable of "joined-up modelling" :lol:. The immense benefit of the Forum is that the Members are very happy to assist with both advice and positive critisism and are very quick to "steal" any good ideas you have :roll: :lol: :P :lol:. As previously mentioned there are some brilliant Lay-outs on this Forum, all available for close scrutiny and, without exception, their Owners are available to answer any queries you may have. Welcome aboard, Mike, and I look forward to your continued progress,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.
ChrisWV10

Post by ChrisWV10 »

mikem64 wrote: ... That's quite a few models for such a small layout but I just can't help myself when I see them advertised.
This isn't a small layout. It's a huge layout! You're making good progress and I like the suspension bridge - can't get my head round thinking in 3D landscapes and I'm similarly afflicted with uncontrollable urges to buy something that catches my eye tho' strangely....I have LMS, GWR & SR but no LNER locos ...... :o

Don't worry about the frustration. If it's not flowing, walk away and come back later when inspiration strikes. I find if I stick at something that's not going to plan, a) it becomes a chore and takes the fun out of it and b) I'm more likely to rush it and not do it properly.

As for the ballasting... I'd try a couple of colours on some scrap mdf/hardboard and see which you like or even blend a couple? I did this with a surplus piece of track just to see what it looked like (and if I could do it without making a mess of it) tho' I must say, it doesn't seem to have translated as well to the layout. I only ballast the bits that are visible for an easy life, but do what you're comfortable with.

Keep up the good work. :)
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Thanks ChrisWV10, you are quite right, when things don't work out stop and go do something else and come back later. That's exactly what happened yesterday, I just couldn't get the image I wanted onto the board, but after I had that cuppa and got back to the layout it just all fell into place and before I knew what time it was I had the first Hillside frame complete.

Today was a breeze as I actually managed to get all the sub frames completely cut out ready to go onto the board for the last two hills / villages, just need some more supplies before I can put these last two hillside together as I've run out of MDF (Didn't think I'd get this far so only really bought enough supplies for the first one).

I've taken a few photo's of the first hillside on the board and I'm very impressed with how it's turned out. Still a lot of cosmetic work to be done before the hill is complete but that's not going to be a problem.

This is the structure that caused the mental torture on Saturday.

This is the view from the goods yard area at North Fangore, the building are only board fillers and will not be on the layout as permanent structures, I've got proper Scalescene kits for that job. These board fillers are exactly that, I designed them in Microsoft Word and printed them out onto normal paper using a Brother Injet Printer. From printer to the finished model is only 30mins if that, so within a few hours you can have a full village effect. Then as and when time allows I'll build my Scalescene replacements.

This view of North Fangore Village is from the Helmsbridge area of the layout, still have to glue the foam into place and then cover it in a plaster mix to get the correct finish.

This is the view looking up at North Fangore Station along the platforms.

This last photo is just for those who want to see some Loco's, two A4's passing Wordsworth Shed on the mainline.

Well that's it for this W/E, back to work tomorrow and next W/E we are away so I don't think they'll be any big changes for a week or so..... But you never quite know when that bug will bite and I'll sneak off into the loft and do something on the layout.

I hope you all like the new additions.

Mike.
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Love this update: some quite dramatic scenics going on here :) Sort of reminds me of the way the castle in Edinburgh dominates the city - except in this case it's the buildings / hill by the station. Very effective :D
Michael Thornberry

Post by Michael Thornberry »

Hello Mikem 64,
"Wordsworth Begins" with "What is life, if full of care, We have no time to stand and stare ---" Calm-down, sit-down with a brew, relax and let the World go-by :P . Tea was "invented" for Railway Modellers with "hill & tunnel" problems :lol:
Looking good, Mike,
Kind Regards,
Michael Thornberry.
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

I thought I'd post this update now as I'm not sure what the other half has planned for today and I might not get into my little hide hole in the loft. So what's new......

I actually had one of those days on Saturday I just didn't want to end, idea's just kept coming and I had to alter the design I was working on several times, but it's coming on great. I just wish I could get my pictures to show how good it's starting to look, the photo's I believe just don't do my attempts any graces at all, but when I keep looking at other peoples photo's they're spot on so just image what the real things must be like.

In my last post I said I'd managed to cut all the pieces for the next two Tunnels / Hill box sections, well these have been completed (With some new idea's thrown in expanding on the original design)

I've put more track down and I've started to add the dropper wires and started to weather the track sides with paint. The only track section that must be put down & completed is all around the Wordsworth Shed area which all centers on the Turn Table, I left this area last as I'm expecting issues here getting all the tracks to line up with the turntable.

I can hear the comments now, stop all that hot air, where are the photo's..... :roll:

Here we go.

The newly installed South Fangore Tunnel / Hill Box section gets installed (Might turn this area into a Park or somthing like that as I have an idea on the brew)

South Fangore Village Tunnel / Hill box section installed onto the Layout

This Photo shows two of the new ideas I had whilst it was in construction, the first is the tunnel openning on the far right, this is for my DCC programming track, rather than just being sat on the base board not doing much it will now form a major part of the layout as it disappears into the tunnel. Also running through the same portal at it's side will be a road leading to the station and down the other side into Wordsworth Staion.

The other adaptation is the Road Suspension bridge, this will link both Tunnel / Hill box section on the South Fangore baseboard ( I just couldn't let that other half of the Suspnsion bridge just sit in it's box )

The Suspension bridge is just in it's test postion for now, still needs all the detailing adding etc etc, & I just had to try one of the buses I've collected over the past two years, should be great once done.

I've also had a go at building a Parkside Dundas wagon kit so I could test another idea that just popped into my head, which was a scratch built coaling stage & some home made transfers. Now that I have them completed I'm not happy with how it all turned out, I'll leave it on the layout and see if they grow on me. :cry:

I'm very happy with this new addition to my layout, the Good Wife bought me this for our 25th Wedding Anniversary , it's a bachmann class 20 with sound, what a monster, just needs the volume taming as you can hear her all the way downstairs when she runs, so I've ordered the Bachmann Pro box to update my Dynamis system, I'll be able to read the CV setting before I start altering things ( Just in case I make an error I can put them back to default )

Here are some Loco's that will appear on the layout once I've fitted the DCC decoders, a Class 55 Deltic (Photo taken on a little 2 foot rail scene I've built just for this purpose )

A class D49

Class N2

What's this ? I hope this isn't sign of trouble to come.... Is that the Doctor's Tardis that has just appeared on the Platform ?

Sorry I just couldn't resist that. As this layout develops I what it too have these odd little funny scenes so as you look around you'll go Wow I've not noticed that before.

That's all folks, time too see what the better half has instore for us today and if it's not all day I'll make a start on those tunnel portals, need to make another Four Double and one single. Then once I'm completely happy I'll get all these tunnel / hill box sections glued into place on the layout, I can then move on to the real creative part... plastering the hills & make a start on the wiring system rather than just the temp connection it's running at present.

Happy Modelling to all.

Mike.
Spavo

Post by Spavo »

Yet more delightful loco's and some really intuitive modelling there, liking it very much.

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

Crikey - this is coming on really well! I'd better get the thumb out next week... I'm particularly impressed-by / envious-of your foam-based rock faces as this is something I have been putting off for the last two years, as it looks all tricky. I have bought some cork to be getting on with (after seeing Retroman's impressive use of the stuff) but as I say, your whole set-up seems to have come on in leaps and bounds.

And, also, you have a green D49, which endears you to me no end (D49s being my single favourite locomotive, purely for the aesthetics). Mine is 'Cheshire'; what's yours?

Will be watching avidly, as usual.
Gavin
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Thank you all for the comments, they keep you going when things get tough.

The D49 in the photo is The Fitzwilliam, I also have number 222 The Berkeley in LNER Green, and when I can find it again within all the boxes I have under the layout I have number 2753 Cheshire once again in LNER Green.

I hope they'll convert and work well on my DCC layout, all three worked fine on DC when tested, but so did a duplicate of my A4 Mallard which I have renumbered to Sparrow Hawk, after fitting this with a decoder it just ran very badly, put this loco back onto DC and she's great. I've been advised to turn the CV setting off that lets the decoder work on a DC system and this should help with the running when placed onto a DCC layout. But before I mess about with CV's I want my Pro Box up and running so I can log the defaults before I change them.

Use of the foam insulation is only because I'm too tight to throw the cut off bits away when I was insulating the loft space. After saying that it really is very easy stuff to work with, I can hardly wait to see what it will all look like with a coat of brown plaster & PVA.

I hope I can get a few hours in the loft this evening.

Catch you all later,

Mike.
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

Hello fellow Modellers, well here we are mid week and I've only had a few hours working on the layout between work commitments and I seem to have hit one of those slow periods after the Saturday rush, but I suppose we all get these days.

Therefore I hope no one minds too much but I've only got a few photo's of some more Loco's taken on my Photo Track back drop to share with you this evening.

A very lovely Bachmann V1/3 in that super colour Black.

Another one of my N2 Class loco's but this time in Green.

A little 0-6-0 on passenger duty.

A very old Pullman carriage that I made an attempt to revive by respraying the roof silver, fitting head board name plates & giving the carriage a new name. Fairly happy with how it all turned out, Oh and fitted some new steel wheels as the older ones just did not like the newer track.

A better photo showing 4476 Royal Lancer waiting on a siding on the main layout.

I had this idea in my head that's been bugging me for a few days and I needed to see what it looked like on the layout, it's going to be my impression of a low relief Bonded Warehouse, so I've printed the idea out onto normal A4 paper and just put it onto the layout where the correct model will go, just not sure now I see it. It could be just the colour of the brick paper I've used this time, but that's why I do what I've done, get it on the layout as a test subject and then leave it a few days or so. This way I will only get the ideas that should take pride and place on the layout rather than something I'm not 100% happy with.

Another view of the same building but from a different aspect ? :?

And finally another view showing the three loading bays. The proper model will have a loading platform full length of the building and a canopy over the doors I think ? If anyone has any comments about the warehouse design, or suggestion please feel free.

In between getting distracted with these little ideas and actually using the layout now, the only other thing I'm slowing making progress on are the remaining 5 tunnel portals & the weathering of the track.... I wish I had kept up with weathering of the track before laying it down as doing it now is very slow and awkward.

Time to have one last hour in the loft and then get ready for work again.

Catch you all later,

Mike. :wink:
mikem64

Post by mikem64 »

I'm back, but I'm afraid not much further on with the layout, in fact I think I may have taken a step back. Have not had any time working on the layout since my last post due to work commitments forcing long hours. Then the wife dragged me away for a week on Holiday up to Northumberland, still today was my first day back in the loft.

I had to finish the main wiring up there as I've been running on a temp connection via an extension cord so spent half the day lifting floor boards on the landing and breaking into the main 240v ring main, all done and dusted, now have full power to all six double sockets dotted about in the loft.

That step back I was talking about, I ripped up the sidings on the North Fangore / Wordsworth base boards as they just didn't look or function 100%, so glad I haven't started the ballast work on this section.... I've nearly got the full thing put back down and I think this was more to my original plan than what I had put down. I've already started to make a small extension to the layout as I need to fit in my Metcalfe Coal Stage and it would have meant it was very close to the edge for my liking, therefore I putting in a small 6" by 8' board to hold the ramp and coaling stage with a margin of safety built in.

I'm also adding a small extension at my turntable so I can actually put the Roundhouse that I had bought nearly two years ago onto the layout, just means loosing a small part of my modelling work area / table, but I feel this is a small price too pay.

I've also found whilst digging around in my pile of goodies under the layout my Medevil Castle, this is a plastic kit that I will be building over the next few weeks / months but it's going to look great sat above the tunnel portals over looking the Helmsbridge Valley, (We went to Durham Castle whilst on Holiday I took a photo of the castle in the distance and the river in front, it just reminds me of how my idea will look)

So just a few quick Photo's,

Here you can see the Scalescene Goods Shed at North Fangore, All the trackwork to the right and down the length of that board has now been lifted and a new design put down.

Here is a view of the tunnel portals being built showing the new addition of the portal on the right, this is for the programming track so it looks part of the layout. The portal to the left is the Branchline which runs through the hill onto the suspension bridge over Helmsbridge Valley.

Here you can see an A4 number 60020 crossing the viaduct at Helmsbridge.

This Photo of Helmsbridge has the markings placed on the baseboard showing my final idea for this section, it will have a narrow canal running from the back to the front into a canal basin, on the banks will be my watermill with wheel & sliuce gates (This is a Wills kit & will just sit behind where the left speaker is at present), I've also plans for a two gate lock system. I will have to remove all the foam cliffs as I need to install a piece of foam covering the full base board so I can sink the canal into.( Some more backward steps before I can go forward again )

I did do a small video showing trains actually on the go, but I'm not sure on how I post this, and what format the video should be in ? So if anyone can help that would be great.

Time to wrap up for the evening, I did want to show you a picture of the castle that's to be built but I'm not sure where it's gone when I uploaded it on the Photobucket web site, I will include this again on my next update

Mike....