Stumpy's loft.

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
itsmee13

Re: Stumpy's loft.

Postby itsmee13 » Tue May 19, 2009 3:57 pm

what a fab setup you got m8, looks real good
Oh well we all make mistakes as the hedge hog said to the hair brush

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Tue May 19, 2009 6:49 pm

Wotcha itsmee13!

Thanks for your kind comments! It's coming along slowly mate! I've learn't that patience is a huge bonus in this hobby, and if you rush things and have to start all over again you can lose direction and get quite dis-heartened, and it can get quite expensive! (as if it isn't anyway :? ) Having said that though i don't want to put you off mate! It is very, very rewarding, and once you've got the bug you always bounce back :D .
I know i'm on the verge of waffling as usual but i'll just say that this forum has been a huge inspiration to me with bags of support, good luck with yours matey and most of all enjoy! Cheers, :wink: .
"A nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat! Know what i mean!? Eh? Eh?"

itsmee13

Postby itsmee13 » Tue May 19, 2009 11:14 pm

well Im am hooked m8 and My better half just bought be a canadian national loco with lights not dcc analog its an old triang noisy but runs very well or what a beuity and got on with our layout today nicely I like wet days that means I cant get on wit the bits out side :lol: sorry m8 now Im wafferling on in your post
Oh well we all make mistakes as the hedge hog said to the hair brush

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Wed May 20, 2009 4:47 pm

Very impressive track work!

Ryan

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Wed May 20, 2009 5:28 pm

itsmee13 wrote:sorry m8 now Im wafferling on in your post

No worries mate! I likes a good waffle!! :lol: .

briantwigley wrote:Very impressive track work!

Thanks Ryan! I just wanted to make operations as interesting as possible in the space that i've got, what i really wanted was to create a model of Fratton (Portsmouth) with nice gentle sweeping curves an' all that and spent days and days shuffling Peco point templates around but ended up abandoning that idea as i just didn't have enough room to do it justice :( , never mind, i've used Hornby 2nd, 3rd and 4th radius curves for this one mixed with Peco Streamline points and flexi track and one bonus with this design is that i get quite a long terminus, for an average size OO layout at least anyway, more updates in the next few days i hope! Cheers, :wink: .

davek

Postby davek » Wed May 20, 2009 6:49 pm

I really like those arches, done in a methodical and well executed style!

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Thu May 21, 2009 4:35 pm

Hi Dave! Thanks for that, it's going smoother than i thought it would actually! (Oh cripes! I might regret saying that!! :roll: :lol: ).
Here's an update anyway, i don't want to bore you all though! :lol: .
Right! I'm doing the insides of the arches now i've bought another pack of Metcalfe stone sheet, and after being informed of the correct way round to have the printed stone! (I wasn't sure at first but it makes sense now! Cheers lads!)

I made a template out of black card to mark out each piece the same on the back of the stone sheet,

I held the piece at one end and pulled it through my fingers a few times, at the same time twisting my hand a bit so it curls and forms a natural arch shape, i found that if you don't do this the card will crease or fold when you try and stuff it into the arch then it won't sit flush all the way round the curve!

Then glue it and shove it into the arch,

Then i wanted to put coping stones or whatever they're called around the edge, (feel free to correct me on that terminology!) i had some Metcalfe sticky back paving slabs left over from another project ages ago so i used these, you could use anything really, eg; grey card etc but i used these as they're self adhesive for when (as you'll see in a minute) you turn it over to put on the copier/scanner/printer thing-ummy!

I used one of the offcuts from when i cut the arches out and stuck it onto some black card to form the 'stones' into the correct size and shape for each arch, i thought to myself that they SHOULD all be the same as i never changed the settings on the compass cutter (fingers crossed!),

Put it on the copier and print it off 23 times!! :shock: ,

Cut them out,

Stuck 'em on,

Tadaaa! :D ,

7 down, only another 15 to go!! :shock: ,

more updates soon, ta ta for now! Cheers, :wink: .
Last edited by Stumpy on Thu May 21, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattmay05

Postby mattmay05 » Thu May 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Thats alot of work ahead of you!!

But some wonderful attention to detail there, some brillient work!

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Thu May 21, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi Matt! Thanks mate, i think the black background worked well on the stones actually and the fact that i copied 'raised' ones makes them look like they've got a bit of depth to them, it's working out ok so far i think! It's a bit tedious but worth it i think! Cheers, :wink: .
Last edited by Stumpy on Thu May 21, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Thu May 21, 2009 5:17 pm

Thats a brilliant idea you have. I would never have thought of that! (Well maybe eventually..!) You have some good modelling skills there, something which I don't posess yet. Patience is one of them!

Keep it up.

Ryan

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Thu May 21, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi Ryan!

Thanks for your comments, the idea was spurned out of my inherent laziness really mate! Let the printer do the work!! :lol: .
Having said that though i was quite surprised how well it turned out really! I seem to stumble onto things sometimes but it is a real boost to your enthusiasm for a particular project when it works out ok.
The patience thing is something that i don't normally posses in bundles but i think if something's going well then that seems to give me the incentive to BE patient, i don't 'arf waffle i know! :roll: , we'll see how it goes anyway! Cheers :wink: .

DonB

Postby DonB » Wed May 27, 2009 2:04 am

Looking good! :D

That cutting tool you used on the arches is neat, I could do with one of those!
Where did ya get it?

Don
Don

My Layout Thread: viewtopic.php?t=14899

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Wed May 27, 2009 10:45 am

Hey! Thanks Don!

it's coming along slowly, i've done a fair bit more since my last post and i'll be posting some more sometime soon but household stuff's been getting in the way! :roll: . The arches are nearly finished anyway, the compass cutter i got at a stall at an exhibition a couple of years back and i couldn't remember who's stall it was but i've looked through my 2008/09 Squires catalogue and it's in there! I presume it must have been their stall, it's on page 3658 (it's a big catalogue!!) item code CKCC21 and it's £3.99, it comes with 6 spare blades but you can order extra ones (Item code CC21B), they haven't got a website by the looks of it but they do mail order and they are based in Bognor, West Sussex, you can phone them on 01243 842424 and ask them to send you a free catalogue, well, it was free when i got this one anyway, hope this helps, cheers! :wink: .

P.S. They do several different types, this one's the cheapest and works well but they range from £3.99 up to £24.99!

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Wed May 27, 2009 10:51 am

Hobbycraft sell those cutters, spotted one in there the other day when i was getting a drill, about £4.00 i think

Bob
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Wed May 27, 2009 8:47 pm

Well spotted bigbob! :D , :wink: .

A small update on the station area, i've put the arches back in, i've still got to do some finishing work in situ though, like hide the exposed polystyrene at the bottom of some of the arches and there's a couple that seem to sit in mid air!! Then do something with the top half of the retaining wall afterwards, i've plonked the canopy sections in temporarily just to get an idea of how long the canopy will be eventually, ignore the blue bits! It will all be green eventually! I need to make some sort of buttress or pier where the signal box is as well but the basics are there anyway, i'm getting there slowly :lol: , more sometime soon anyway, cheers folks and happy modelling!! :D .

Seeya soon!! :wink: .

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”